Author Topic: Nabal vs Holiday  (Read 1215 times)

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
Nabal vs Holiday
« on: January 16, 2018, 09:10:29 PM »
Just out of curiosity which tree/avocado would be the one to have?
Aside from the holiday being a smaller tree...how do they compare? I believe the reed comes from Nabal and the holiday comes from Reed. Are the three just about the same avocado? Also, according to this chart  http://www.ocfruit.com/files/Avocados.htm
they have about the same season. Any suggestions/input is highly appreciated.

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
Re: Nabal vs Holiday
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 12:40:48 AM »
Yes, the eating seasons are similar among the Reed, Holiday, and Nabal. But some other qualities are dissimilar.

Fruit of all three taste excellent to me. But a slight nod would have to go to the Reed and Nabal over the Holiday. That's just my taste though.

If I were choosing to grow a Nabal or a Holiday, I would grow a Nabal provided I had the space to let it get at least 12 feet. Nabal is more productive from the trees I have and the trees I've seen. The only downsides of Nabal I've noticed are that it gets thrips damage (which is only superficially ugly) and its skin is thick like a shell so you do have to learn to judge its ripeness by toothpicking into the stem or another technique.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
Re: Nabal vs Holiday
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 01:39:13 AM »
Yes, I have been doing research and I have been reading a couple of articles say that the Nabal is the "ranchers secret" or the "farmers favorite" but the only downside is the heavy alternate bearing....which I don't mind since I have Lamb Hass and Reed as well.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:18:44 AM by alangr088 »