Author Topic: Questions about what size containers to pot my mangos in  (Read 1892 times)

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
Questions about what size containers to pot my mangos in
« on: February 19, 2016, 10:34:32 PM »
   I've got around 18 mangos that I bought last summer, most of which were bought as 3 gallon size trees. They were all repotted to 5 gallon size pots. Right now their all really taking off in growth . I'd like to repot them and was wondering if it would be too much of a jump to put them in a squat 15 ?  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

William

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about what size containers to pot my mangos in
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 11:36:58 PM »
William,
If they are under 4 feet tall, you probably can keep them in the 5 gallon pot or put in a 7 gallon pot at most.  If they are over 6 feet tall, then maybe a 15 gallon would be okay, but if you size up too fast, you run a higher risk of overwatering/root rot.  I would not use a squat 15.  Standard 15 would be better for a deeper tap root growth.  Being in Zone 9, I'd guess you want to keep these trees "mobile" in the winter.  Moving 15 gallon potted trees becomes way tougher on the back, when you are talking 18 trees.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:54:25 PM by wslau »
Warren

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 08:26:17 AM »
   Wslau

Actually these trees for the most part will remain in the greenhouses and will only be moved if nessessary. I use a mix from a soils place that consists of sand and bark so it drains really well . I do understand your concern for over watering but in the summer because of our severe heat I have to water every day. In the winter once a month. I do add a slight amount of recipe 420 potting soil to to mix for organic matter. This combination has worked well for most everything.  I do have a bunch of 15 gallon pots that I bought last summer so I could use these if that's ok .  Would this be ok for lychees as well ? I've got 7  lychee trees in 5 gallon as well. Would like to start bumping them up too.

William

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 12:43:52 PM »
William,
You should probably get advice on lychees from JF or Simon grow.  I don't grow lychees.
But on the topic of mangos...as I mentioned earlier, it probably would be better if you could trade those squat 15 gal for standard/taller 15 gallon containers to promote tap root growth and prevent tap root spiraling, if possible.
Good luck!
Warren

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 01:00:18 PM »
This may be unorthodox but I inspect the rootball the first time I pot up. If possible I find the first kink in the taproot and prune off from there. If that would take most of the roots off I don't do it as far up. I have found in all my trees that root spiraling is the a big cause of poor performance. This will set the tree back a little but it will be healthier in the long run. I would also use some sort of "root pruning" container. Lychees are normally air layered so you wont have the nasty spiraling, choking, death spiral of a taproot. Gradual potting up in root pruning containers is the best practice in my eyes but also the most expensive and time consuming.
-Josh

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 01:19:14 PM »
Excellent comment Josh. I have done quite a bit of up-potting too and I find a huge difference in reduced root circling with my pots that have been painted with MicroKote (-> Griffin-Spin-Out, Copper Hydroxide DIY, search for those topics too). For my environment, I go the MicroKote method vs. Root Pruning pots because we are so hot and have so little humidity.
- Mark

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 02:06:23 PM »
    Josh

Part of the reason behind my thinking of using squat containers for my mangos was based on a conversation that I had with David Silber some years ago . He mentioned the idea of cutting the tap root and there by forcing the feeder roots to increase. Ive always been a little worried to try this but I think I might give it a go and see what happens. You could at the time of repotting, dust with mychorrizae and mix some kelp meal into the planting mix. I'm working with a local farm supply store to get the ingredients to make the foliar feed cocktail that Shamus O'Leary uses on all of his nursery trees. Theres no dought that his trees look very healthy. The side by side comparision of the ice cream bean tree leaves shows how effective that foliar feeding can be.

William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk