Author Topic: Tertoh Avocado  (Read 1410 times)

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
Tertoh Avocado
« on: December 31, 2017, 06:07:13 PM »
  Reading the post about the Corona avocado earlier , reminded me about the tertoh avocado which I had read about quite a few years ago. It was a introduction of a 3 pound giant from the property of Mr. Castillas from Guatemala, by Wilson Popenoe. Don't know why it never really caught on as it was said to have excellent flesh , small seed , and of course lots of meat. Once while having a phone conversation with Jim Nietzel I brought up this avocado to him and he said that he actually thought that he came across fruit of this type at a exibit at the San Diego fair. I tried tracking down some budwood and found that there appeared to not be a source in california . Florida did have it listed in a germ plasm , But when I finally made contact with someone about ordering budwood I was told that the tree in their collection had sun blotch virus. I am writing this more as a curiousity to see if any readers might have heard of or even better might know of a tree to source budwood from.

William

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Tertoh Avocado
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 06:19:15 PM »
William, don't know if you have this database, but it is listed here.
http://www.avocadosource.com/AvocadoVarieties/QueryDB.asp

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 06:54:49 PM »
    Thanks Jack,

They have the variety listed yes but no showing of a planting location within south coast field station. If my memory serves me correctly I remember asking Julie Frink during my time searching if she knew of a source for budwood for it and she didnít.  Iím more or less asking if anyone knows of a single tree in a old neighborhood still growing that is a result of trees grafted and distributed from the first shipments of budwood.  Another one that seems to be non existing anymore is the Creamhart.

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 07:49:56 PM »
William..Creamhart has a story attached to it.  It was registered by Orton Englehart and a good friend, John Moore, got scionwood and grafted a tree in N. Baja at an orphanage that he worked with.  He had a "demonstration garden" with many CRFG plantings.  John has passed away. Bob Holzinger went back to Orton's old neighborhood, talked to current owner and neighbors and was not able to locate Creamhart.  I spend winters in La Paz, Baja, Mexico and stopped twice at the orphanage driving down talking to people and walking the grounds.  Again, their emphasis is macadamias (another story) and the avocados are pretty much unmarked.  So no luck there in Baja.  Harvey (CRFG) found someone who said they have a seedling of Creamhart and provided me with a scion since I have a small collection of avocados.  The scion is grafted on a multigrafted tree and has produced excellent fruit.  I have labelled it (as Harvey identified it) as Creamhart F1.  This year I have grafted it on rootstock to make a singular Creamhart F1 tree.  Is it or is it not?  I don't know, many have looked for this elusive tree, with no success.  I met Orton with John and have a great deal of respect for his inventions (Google Orton Englehart) and his plant registrations with CRFG and will grow the avocado out since it is an excellent fruit.  The identification is Creamhart F1 in honor of Orton whether it is actually the original tree or not.  Perhaps a forum member reading this can add to this saga and point us in another direction.  The only help I had from Julie was she thought the tree was in Baja, Mexico.  It apparently was, but lost in time. 

More adventures in tracking down the many Edenvale Feijoas out there.

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 09:52:04 PM »
  Jack

Thank you for sharing this creamhart seedling story. It sounds like it is worthy of propagation based on your description of the fruit irreguardless whether itís the real one or not . In my opinion it needs to be propagated and made available with clear discription that it is believed to be a seedling of a creamhart, then let the patron decide if he wants to buy it . I had a couple of Stearns planted . Had them a number of years but they never set and held any fruit. I  eventually lost the trees after some really hot heat wave . If you ever have any of your creamhart F1  grafted trees that you want to sell , Iíd be interested in purchasing one.  But one question still bothers me , Iím sure that Orton being a Nurseryman must have sold lots of creamhart trees ? Not one in existence in so cal ?  Same with the tertoh avocado ? All those groves over so cal and no ones knows of a tree tucked in a grove somewhere ?  I just find it hard to believe that thereís not one tree somewhere out there .

William

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 09:38:21 AM »
William..Don't know if Orton actually sold any Creamhart trees or just shared scionwood like he did with John Moore.  When I met him and his wife he was getting a bit long-in-the-tooth and maybe was not creating new trees.  The mystery of the elusive Creamhart avocado and Orton's well-deserved reputation adds a bit of adventure to our collective interests.  I know of several, me included, who would like to be the finder of this treasure.  As to selling trees, I don't.  I do contribute greatly to the San Luis Obispo scion exchange in February, give away trees when I can, propagate as needed.  My 1 1/2 acre is filled and I cannot find any sunshine for a new acquisition so am now just sticking new scions on existing trees.  If you come to the Central Coast, look me up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk