Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

IchangensisXSinensis from B.Voss

(1/2) > >>

Ilya11:
Three years ago Bernhardt Voss kindly sent me the budwood of this hybrid.
I grafted it  to PT root. It does look very different from another variety that has a similar  name  and is rather widely accessible in Europe. I  have it and by my opinion it is a pure early orange.

This year Bernhardt hybrid flowered for the first time, fruits were almost ripe in the beginning of  November.

Fruits have orange-like fragrance , juice is abundant, not bitter, acid like that of lemon, 10 Brix.

Albedo is astringent, slightly bitter

Many seeds covered by pectin.

Zitrusgaertner:
There is an somatic hybrid (fusion of protoplasts) of Ichangensis X sinsensis and a normal cross IxS. The somatic hybrid resembles oranges very much.

Florian:
Excellent pictures, Ilya. That is exactly what a hybrid ichangensis x sinensis should look like in my opinion. I am also convinced that the commonly available ichangensis x sinensis is just an orange.

How coldhardy is the Voss plant?

Ilya11:

--- Quote from: Zitrusgaertner on November 22, 2023, 09:37:20 AM ---There is an somatic hybrid (fusion of protoplasts) of Ichangensis X sinsensis and a normal cross IxS. The somatic hybrid resembles oranges very much.

--- End quote ---
Robert, I have some doubt that somatic hybrid described in 1993 Chinese paper is a variety available in Europe.
There are so many barriers for such a distribution.
My plant show no signs  of tetraploidy, its leaves have the same appearance as of common oranges, cold resistance is up to -9C for the short night freeze and the  taste is 100% orange.

Ilya11:

--- Quote from: Florian on November 22, 2023, 01:50:55 PM ---Excellent pictures, Ilya. That is exactly what a hybrid ichangensis x sinensis should look like in my opinion. I am also convinced that the commonly available ichangensis x sinensis is just an orange.

How coldhardy is the Voss plant?

--- End quote ---
Florian, the plant has experienced only three winters, the lowest night temperature was -9.5C.
Not a slightest damage was observed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version