Author Topic: Ways to protect your citrus trees in ground  (Read 1371 times)

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
Ways to protect your citrus trees in ground
« on: October 20, 2023, 07:03:48 AM »
Does anyone use straw/leaves around their citrus trees along with Christmas lights and a cloth covering?  Other low cost measures? If you use leaves is there a particular type that is better? Should they be shredded or whole?

Mike Adams

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to protect your citrus trees in ground
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 02:42:40 AM »
Hello Mike,
I only use sometimes for more protection coconut mat aroundbthe stem or young grafting area,
otherwise only one ore two layer fleece and water bottles.
For Satsuma I use the same + electric heating the few days temperature drops
below -8° C.
With straw, leaves I fear to get rot infections to the plant.
Best regards Frank

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 07:01:36 AM »
I’ve tried putting wire cage around trees and fill it with leaves from yard. I get to low single digits and sometimes zero or below rarely. It didn’t matter; they died to the ground. The only way I can prevent severe damage is sturdy wood cold frame or pvc pipe dome cover in 4 mil plastic sheeting to the ground with edges weighted down with rocks, water barrels inside, and small 250 watt space heater inside on a thermo cube to turn it on and off. Does not matter if it’s a satsuma or citrange, if no space heater, it dies or so severely damaged it may as well be gone. Last year, I went to two degrees F with 60 mph winds and no power for two hours, and lost 10 year old Rio red and about 10 other trees, but Kimbrough and Owari only partially damaged and a citradia next to house with plastic over pvc frame and 32 gallon water barrel was undamaged. Citradia trees in my orchard with plastic only or unprotected died completely. I bought small kerosene heaters as a back up for when power goes out and I can’t get generator started for this winter.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 12:01:06 PM »

I have used leaves but this is the only thing that has worked.

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2023, 05:44:04 PM »
Do you have some type of heat in there?   Also a strategy.....I was thinking about wrapping a tree in christmas lights then surround straw or leaves next and possibly styrofoam, bubble wrap  or frost cloth on the outside on nights that get below 20 degrees.  Anyones thoughts on the order of application?

Mike Adams
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 06:58:42 AM by Unicyclemike »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2023, 09:18:53 PM »
Good luck finding incandescent Christmas lights. All the lights for sale now are led and don’t put out heat. I wouldn’t put flammable materials too close to the incandescent lights. Forget the heat lamp bulbs that go in reptile aquarium; they shatter when outside in a cold frame, I think due to humidity freezing and then rapidly heating up of the glass.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 01:49:45 PM »
Good luck finding incandescent Christmas lights. All the lights for sale now are led and don’t put out heat. I wouldn’t put flammable materials too close to the incandescent lights. Forget the heat lamp bulbs that go in reptile aquarium; they shatter when outside in a cold frame, I think due to humidity freezing and then rapidly heating up of the glass.

You can still find incandescent lights.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Holiday-Decorations-Christmas-Decorations-Christmas-Lights/Incandescent/N-5yc1vZc3tbZ1z11erb

obdiah

• stony point nc old zone 7b new 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 10:08:13 AM »
Hi   interesting post    I developed a way to overwinter  bananas  in ground with no added heat    and I would think with some modification would work with citrus   it would  only work with new planting and requires a lot of work initially  but once done  needs little maintenance  basically  its a 6 to 8 ft deep hole in the ground   with a conical top of treated 2x4s
 covered with greenhouse film on both sides   originally  i removed it after  last frost  found it un necessary as long as I left the door off in summer  it works on the principle  that below 3 ft in my area  the temperature is a constant 51 degrees   
these have protected plants inside from freezing down to  8 degrees f  the only issue was keeping drainage good so the hole doesn't fill up with water it would need to be slightly larger in diameter than the spread of the tree  no problem with dwarf varieties  here's a link to  some old post on the banana forum  http://www.bananas.org/f15/banana-sphere-pit-greenhouse-22664.html   hope some one can use the info

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 06:46:27 PM »
Thank you for the info.  I have my citrus trees about 2 feet below ground.  I will study your concepts. 

Mike Adams

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 01:12:33 AM »

Talk about in ground protection from the weather,  have you heard about Forestiere Underground Gardens? Protection from both heat and somewhat cold, it doesn't snow in Fresno but it does get frosty.

https://www.visitfresnocounty.org/things-to-do/attractions/forestiere-underground-gardens/

Ive heard that the permies use straw as an insulator, straw bale walls for example,  as it's a fairly decent R factor at several inches as long as it remains dry. But it sounds like a lot of inches would be needed if that cold!

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 05:34:06 AM »
Wow that is a cool looking house.  Tank you for sharing.

Mike A.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2023, 12:02:59 PM »
Do you have some type of heat in there?   Also a strategy.....I was thinking about wrapping a tree in christmas lights then surround straw or leaves next and possibly styrofoam, bubble wrap  or frost cloth on the outside on nights that get below 20 degrees.  Anyones thoughts on the order of application?

Mike Adams
I have to add heat when outside temperature of less than 20F.  My currant Greenhouse will have a thermal outlet that turns on at 35F and off at 45F.  I will have a used Microwave fan plugged in to blow air from my unheated basement into the GH for heat.  My newest pictures.

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2023, 02:09:08 PM »
Great idea about blowing air in from your basement

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2023, 08:58:41 PM »
Home Depot has incandescent Christmas lights half price.

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2023, 08:14:26 PM »
thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk