Author Topic: [Europe] soil stays too wet too long causing root issues  (Read 3562 times)

incubator01

• Belgium, Central Europe
    • View Profile
Re: [Europe] soil stays too wet too long causing root issues
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2021, 05:39:35 PM »
Living in southern England I have very similar climate to yours in Belgium.
I have been growing citrus for very many years and I now always use the following mix which is very free draining but requires frequent watering in hot weather. It contains no nutrients so I add slow-release fertiliser granules initially and every spring. I also water always with dilute soluble fertilser. I have included some links to suppliers in the UK so you can see what I use but you can probably find equivalents locally.
Following parts by volume:
2 parts clay granules. This is a type of moler clay about 2mm diameter. It is sold for bonsai but is much cheaper to buy in quantity as Sanicat cat litter or as a chemical spill absorber. See https://www.safetyshop.com/clay-absorbent-granules-safety-tread.html and https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/kitty-friend-pink-absorbent-cat-litter-30-litre
1 part coarse pine bark sold as reptile bark or orchid bark. See https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265209292884?hash=item3dbfb4a854:g:MHYAAOSwbu1g14zU
1 part horticultural potting grit  see https://www.homebase.co.uk/rhs-horticultural-potting-grit-handy-pack-5kg/12812882.html
1 part coarse perlite This makes the mixture a bit lighter but can be omitted. See https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=coarse+perlite&_sacat=0

The last two are literally impossible to find here in bags.
Even horticulture grit is not known here.
We have the play/beach sand, river sand, any sand for construction, course draining sand (only available in bulk) , expanded clay pebbles for me hydroculture.
I don't know where to get that kind of bark but these things turn to compost after a while, which is not desirable in containers.
I know.... seems the commerce doesn't want me to make a better mix and just sell more common stuff.... anything special i have to get from Amazon Germany or France :(

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2021, 09:15:05 PM »
I recently learned from Laaz on another forum that he uses a 50:50 mix of Turface ( in Europe called “Seramis”) with Miracle Grow or Vigero Garden soil. The primary ingredient in Miracle Grow Garden Soil is peat and coir with some fertilizer. I repotted some citrus the past two days with this mix and can attest that it drains very well and is very easy to mix and use. Light weight too.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2021, 04:03:35 AM »
I'm amazed you can't get horticultural grit. It is available in every garden centre and plant nursery here.
I think you need to take a day trip to England and collect a few good garden items!
The chipped bark sold for reptile bedding or orchids is extremely hard and dry. I agree it must eventually break down, but in this mix it lasts for at least 10 years.
I did try and use coconut husk chips at one time. They only provided good drainage for a couple of years before causing problems. I suspect coir will be similar.

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2021, 06:52:53 AM »
I recently learned from Laaz on another forum that he uses a 50:50 mix of Turface ( in Europe called “Seramis”) with Miracle Grow or Vigero Garden soil. The primary ingredient in Miracle Grow Garden Soil is peat and coir with some fertilizer. I repotted some citrus the past two days with this mix and can attest that it drains very well and is very easy to mix and use. Light weight too.

I looked up on seramis, they say  these are tiny clay granules that absorb water, but peat also absorbs water, so wouldn't I create a wet soil that stays wet for ages?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2021, 09:56:39 AM »
Incubator, it is not the water that causes the problem, it is the lack of rootzone oxygen that causes the problem.  When the soil breaks down and compacts the water plugs up all the air spaces.

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2021, 10:11:48 AM »
Incubator, it is not the water that causes the problem, it is the lack of rootzone oxygen that causes the problem.  When the soil breaks down and compacts the water plugs up all the air spaces.

I see.
Before I had bigger shaped clay granules (turface) at the bottom of my pots, someone in this forum i was told to remove them.
Granted they were unclean and of poor quality.
If adding the finer and cleaner seramis along with some gravel and pumice will provide a good texture I'm all up for it.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2021, 11:09:19 AM »
Don't put all of the larger sized particles just in the bottom of the container.  Doing so raises the perched water table higher up into the container. They should be blended throughout the entire medium.  People I know that use a turface mixture does something like 50 percent turface and 50 percent peat.  I know that Brian uses a turface blend, he can also help you when you sees your post.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 02:23:56 PM by Millet »

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2021, 12:35:10 PM »
Don't put all of the larger sized particles just in the bottom of he container.  Doing so raises the perched water table higher up into the container. They should be blended throughout the entire medium.  People I know that use a turface mixture does something like 50 percent turface and 50 percent peat.  I know that Brian uses a turface blend, he can also help you when you sees your post.

Well yes, I was planning to mix it like you said next time.
In spring I put those bad quality (pretty dirty) expanded clay granules (bigger than the seramis turface mentioned before) in the bottom, only a thin layer, but true it raised the water level and because htey were of poor quality (it was the only brand the garden supply store here sold) they gave off clay dust and caused bad texture, some drab at the bottom. Of course I washed them before hand but that helped only a bit.