Author Topic: South Miami Road trip: Mission Caimito!!  (Read 1924 times)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
South Miami Road trip: Mission Caimito!!
« on: October 31, 2021, 05:44:45 PM »
I am planning a road trip to Miami next weekend. The mission objective is to go to Lara Farms and get some of his Caimito and Canistel cultivars and what ever else turns my head. If he's game I will try to purchase some scions of his Campbell cultivar of White Sapote. Any suggestions of any other places nearby I should hit? I would love to pick up a Sugar belle citrus while I am there. The last stop that day will be Pokey's as usual. Come guys! Help old man Carolina hunt!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: South Miami Road trip: Mission Caimito!!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 09:21:24 PM »
While you're in the area, you should hit the Fruit and Spice park. Not sure what fruit is in season at this time of year. Also, I highly recommend Trees N More nursery. Stopped by last July and had a blast. Mike has quality trees and great prices. Also the forum is your friend. Ask around if you can visit other people. It's nice to chat with other fruit growers and see what they are growing. They might have trees, fruit, or scions you can buy. If you look at my profile picture, you can see all the fruit I was able to obtain thanks to a lot of people here.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 09:26:28 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 07:54:31 AM »
Thanks for the tip. It doesn't look like he has a website with a list of items he sells or availability. When I'm driving I need to be sure that every spot I hit will be worth my while. I'm not a mango guy (at least not right now) and that's what I see on his Facebook page. Do you have any idea what else he sells? I need to replace my cinnamon that bit the dust this year too.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 09:01:53 AM »
I'm also looking for abiu. If I don't find it in Florida. I think there maybe be some out west. I'll be heading out there soon to check out Mimosa's East LA location.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 09:20:48 AM »
Trees N More had grafted abiu. He has a lot of interesting trees other than mangoes and avocados.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 10:31:19 AM »
I sent him a pm. I didn't realize he was a forum member. If he has the abs for the right price I will definitely put him on the agenda. I'm trying to score some of the things I really want on my list since I have been stepping up my plant game and I have been getting more success with my zone pushing (unheated greenhouse year 2) . Thanks for the info.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 09:56:33 PM »
Other places to shop for fruit trees are pine island nursery, ready to grow gardens and al’s fruit trees.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 09:38:36 AM »
The three times I hit Pine Island they didn't have anything I wanted in stock. They used to have everything on their website most of the year. somebody save me from having to go to Phoenix to get my abius!!(I'm going anyway so I can eat at Hola Cabrito ;D ;D)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 10:00:55 AM »
The three times I hit Pine Island they didn't have anything I wanted in stock. They used to have everything on their website most of the year. somebody save me from having to go to Phoenix to get my abius!!(I'm going anyway so I can eat at Hola Cabrito ;D ;D)
Hola Cabrito.  Now that caught my eye.  I wish they'd open a location here.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 08:19:45 PM by johnb51 »
John

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 09:17:34 AM »
Does anybody on the forum have a relationship with Mike from Trees N' More? Trying to decide whether or not to put him on the Trip list. I'd he's got Abius I'm definitely stopping there.  I need some wax jambus and Malay apples too. It's a 12 hour drive. Help me Carolina get his fruit fix ;) ;) 8) 8) ;D ;D :) :) :D ;D :)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 09:40:13 AM »
Trees n More has 1, facebook account. Trees N More is easy to 2. google in Palm City, Fl... 4413 sw ranchwood st. palm city, fl  Phone 772 781 9570

Or 3. Use the forum site  where it is one of the listed nursery ::: https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3538.0   

Also the site is his residence so call first before driving there.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 10:10:40 AM »
Mike is the man for sure, def a good visit. 👍

-Joe

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 01:50:29 PM »
Trees n More has 1, facebook account. Trees N More is easy to 2. google in Palm City, Fl... 4413 sw ranchwood st. palm city, fl  Phone 772 781 9570

Or 3. Use the forum site  where it is one of the listed nursery ::: https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3538.0   

Also the site is his residence so call first before driving there.
Thanks Man. I'm a knucklehead. I didn't think to search for his thread on the forum. I just texted him. I hope he hits me back. I asked if he was selling to the public and if I could come by Saturday.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 01:32:05 PM »
Mission accomplished.
Lara's
I actually was there at 8:45 but decided to hit Mickey D's then turned around and came back. It was no mistake. I arrived around 5 min after 9 and found that the gate was opened. That was the first good sign. The place is well laid out and clean. What I found was there were several cultivars of the objective: Caimito. There was Morado (Not sure if this is the Lara selected cultivar), CORRANGO and Burgess. I snatched up 2 Morado's, 2 Burgess, and a Corrango. I had to. The prices were too good. Much like when I visit a Natural farm where i always pick up some Miracle fruit trees anytime I am in South Miami I will be buying Caimitos.  I have also been on a Canistel kick lately. I knew I wanted a trompo but I made the mistake all addicts make: I exposed myself to my triggers by watching videos. Lara had the product. I got a trompo, ORO ,ARUE  and a Ross. The only regret I had was only buying 1 ross sapote instead of 2. I was looking for a red custard apple mistakenly bought a red sugar apple. Well, that is another excuse to take another trip. Overall the staff who consisted of one guy who was very polite an knowledgeable was good. Prices can't be beat. I wont list them but for the size and quality and HEALTH. They cant be beat. Unfortunately I was not able to get the Campbell white sapote nor a supersweet. All he had was Redland.

Trees N' More
I arrived there around 1:30pm. What can I say. The forum spoke and the Forum was right. Mike, is cool as ice and he is a plant guy. Not a salesman, not a huckster. He was great. I got a red skinned finger lime. He knew EVERYTHING  about them. His prices were phenomenal!!! If I had more space in my car I would have bought 5 more plants from him because his selection was great. Just about everything. I was looking for.  He's an hour closer than Excalibur and it's just a "BETTER" experience overall. His property is clean and he has got the goods. All his trees looked super healthy.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 05:27:24 PM by CarolinaZone »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 09:39:42 PM »
Nice sounds like you had a great time, just to add Lara’s has a website and ships plants, so there is no excuse for not having a red custard apple 😂👍

-Joe

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2021, 06:22:59 PM »
Nice sounds like you had a great time, just to add Lara’s has a website and ships plants, so there is no excuse for not having a red custard apple 😂👍

-Joe
I never turn down an excuse for a road trip, I'm heading back in about a month depending n how well my west coast trip goes. Papaya tree doesn't have what I want (sweeter kei apple cultivar) and I am not so sure about exotica because I bought two from them that haven't fruited. I'm on the hunt for lucuma and rose apples.

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2021, 10:15:48 PM »
Almost sure that Arue is a misnomer for Pouteria campechiana 'Aurea' a vintage selection from the 1970s. If I’m wrong no harm done…
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk