Author Topic: Citrumelo Nr. 82  (Read 1722 times)

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
Citrumelo Nr. 82
« on: December 02, 2021, 03:17:19 PM »
I posted this on facebook but since not everyone is on there I thought I'd share it here too.

In Switzerland, we have this Citrumelo called Nr. 82 because that is its catalogue number from Eisenhut nursery. It is a selection they made. It is not known what the original variety was. A fellow citrus enthusiast once said that this was by far the best Citrumelo he had ever tasted and that he thought it tasted like a grapefruit from the 80s. A few days ago, I picked the fruits and I have to say it is quite good for a Poncirus hybrid. The flesh is sour but with a notable sweetness. It is also bitter but not unpleasantly so. And there is very little poncirine taste, no resin. The juice is even better, I can drink it just like that, bo Poncirus notes whatsoever. I used the juice to make jelly and I think it tastes great.

Mind you, this is still far from eatable compared to any commercial citrus but much better than other Poncirus hybrids that I have tasted. It is also better than Dunstan in our climate. I have a smaller one in ground but it hasn't fruited yet. It did sail through its first winter with about -9C unscathed though. Considering that spring and early summer were much too cold (everything is about a month behind) I think it could taste even better in a normal year.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Citrumelo Nr. 82
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 12:59:44 AM »
Congratulation Flo, looks great your tree with fruits. For me as also cold hardy citrus cultivater its only a pity, that our species (cold hardy citrus cultivater) is so rare, that fruits of the different cultivars are so seldom, that we not often are able to compare fruits and taste of cold hardy varieties. So your taste test and sharing of this is very appreciated, thanks a lot . And good luck for fruits with your tree planted in soil.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 02:20:55 AM »
Hi Flo, can you compare the taste tobDunstan or 5* citrumelo ? Would be interesting to know if there is a difference to better taste ? Thanks Frank

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 03:22:42 AM »
I have not been able to compare the 3 at the same time, but I would call N°82 the best of the three and the european Dunstan the worst.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 04:05:32 AM »
thanks Mikkel, seems I have to regradt some of my Dunstans 😉, because I also see 5* better than Dunstan in taste.

Florian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 05:28:10 AM »
Frank,
A French guy said somewhere that he tasted both 5* and 82 and that they were close. But I can't remember where I read that.
I have only tasted a European Dunstan from Germany and I did not like it too much. It was certainly no match for my 82.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 05:44:18 AM »
Thanks Florian,
for your Information. So in every case it s good to have an further citrumelo with the nr. 82 which has relativ eatable fruit. I still have 3 nice last years grafts from Dunstan and Ilya s Ichangstar 60 and Staraji55. Already curious to taste these fruits, but I guess the plants will need a two or three years to set fruits. Best regards Frank

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 03:37:44 PM »
thanks Mikkel, seems I have to regradt some of my Dunstans 😉, because I also see 5* better than Dunstan in taste.

5* is bad enogh! The bitterness is grave and long lasting and there is resin. Nearly as much as with my Poncirus.

maesy

• Lucerne, Switzerland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 03:52:04 PM »
My Dunstan comes from Eisenhut and gives me lots of fruits. But I'm not sure if it's the same as the Dunstan you are talking about, since I belive there are two different typs.
The fruits are not eatable out of hands, but the juice with some sugar and diluted with water is enjoyable.

A few years ago I pollinated it with pollen of my I x S. Now I want to cut down a good amount of the tree and graft some scions of the hybrid seedling on. It may still take some years until ist first bloom, but I guess it will take longer for the seedling itself.

Florian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 05:33:26 PM »
Only four fruit on my potted and none on my in-ground tree this year (no flowers yet). I picked one yesterday to see how it was and tried peeling it just for the sake of it. Still the best Poncirus hybrid I have tasted (and I still haven't tried 5*). I will leave one or two fruits a bit longer on the tree to see how they turn out.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 03:49:12 PM by Florian »