Author Topic: Images from Sebastian Pineapple Ranch 3/13/2022  (Read 729 times)

FloridaGrower69

• Propagation of Interesting Pineapple
    • East Central Florida
    • View Profile
Images from Sebastian Pineapple Ranch 3/13/2022
« on: March 13, 2022, 04:02:36 PM »
I thought I'd upload some images of the garden as it stands.  2 strong cold fronts and an unusually wet winter and all plants including the small starters (Cabazona, Monte Lirio, Pernambuco) from USDA have survived.  No casualties, but some of the larger plants had some crushed leaves due to the tarps that had to be deployed on the nights where frost was imminent.  This winter also spawned some disease and mold - so all plants received a light dose of Captan. 2 or 3 lost some root mass due to wet feet.  I'm pleased by the number of fruiting plants.  The images in order I tried to upload:  Pineapple sign from trip to Puerto Rico Pineapple Express/Lajas) to study commercial growing, Red Spanish pups, Sawit, Smooth Cayenne, Abacaxi, Dellerman Gold, Queen Natal pups, Maisie Wonder Cat, Queen Natal 1, Queen Natal 2, Abacaxi, Antigua Black (USDA recipient 8 months), Cayenalisa (Florida, Puerto Rico at 6 months), MD2, MD2, Josepine, Cheesepine, Cayenne Hilo, Cheesepine, MD2, MD2, Red Spanish pups, Smooth Cayenne, Sawit Slips, Dellerman Gold (Sebastian, FL), Brazilian Red, Brazilian Red, Kuai White Sugaloaf (Hole in the Mountain Farm).

[

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Images from Sebastian Pineapple Ranch 3/13/2022
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 10:09:55 PM »
That is awesome! I didn't know anyone had that many varieties here in Florida. If you can get overhead irrigation installed, you can ice the pineapple plants in when it gets cold. It is way easier than covering them. Remarkably, they seem to suffer less damage that way, too.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 10:29:46 AM »
Nice.  Your cat's a beauty, too!
John

Bobooshki

• Palm Bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 08:38:37 PM »
Very cool, thanks for all the pictures!
Robert

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 01:55:14 PM »
Wow, these look great! Glad everything made it through the frost.
- Val