Author Topic: What kind of citrus was the best to taste?  (Read 4039 times)

fruitree

• instargram.com/myfruitrees
    • Zone8, South Korea
    • View Profile
    • myfruitrees
What kind of citrus was the best to taste?
« on: October 21, 2022, 04:40:53 AM »
Include orange, mandarin orange, tangerine, tangelo, clementine, what kind of all the citrus

Since most of Korea's citrus industry is concentrated on tangerine varieties origin by Japan, I have a japan-ish tooth.
such as  Setoka (せとか), BeniMadonna (紅まどんな), Kanpei (甘平,カンペイ), Shiranui (Dekopon,不知火)

I just wanna know what kind of citrus is tasty in abroad.

pagnr

• View Profile
Re: What kind of citrus was the best to taste?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 05:07:55 AM »
My supermarket in Victoria state, Australia sells Navel Oranges, Blood Oranges, about 5 types of mandarin, Minneola tangelos, Dekopon, Lemons, Limes, Red Grapefruit and occasionally imported Pummelo.
This would be the most common types available for sale to most shoppers.
Some Fruit Sellers or Markets might have a bit bigger range of Citrus, such as Lemonades, Seville, Kumquat, Kaffir Lime.
Tropical Darwin and Cairns have more types of Pummelos, also Calamondins, West Indian /Key Limes etc.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 05:18:49 AM by pagnr »

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 08:50:50 AM »
orange, grapefruit key limes lemons that's it in Cincinnati; Ohio.  They are all over priced.  I grow my own New Zealand lemonades and Meiwa & Fukushu kumquats.  Meiwa is best of all 3 but very difficult to grow.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 05:52:23 PM »
I am a fan of pomelos. The only ones sold in the US, at least in the stores in my area, are Chandler pomelos. I like strongly flavored citrus, and pomelos certainly qualify. I also enjoy Moro blood oranges, Nagami kumquats, dekopon (sold in the US under the name Sumo Citrus), white grapefruit (which I eat without sugar added), and ugli citrus (a variety of Jamaican tangelo sold under the name Uniq fruit in the US). Not all of these are easy to find in American grocery stores, particularly the latter two.

I dislike the naval oranges and mandarins that make up the vast majority of the citrus sold in the US. Commercial varieties of mandarins may be easy to peel but have had all the flavor bred out of them. Naval oranges are harder to peel but only slightly more flavorful. I seem to be in the minority among American consumers when it comes to my opinion on naval oranges and mandarins. When they are available, I purchase Valencia oranges, which still have enough flavor to be worth eating.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 07:50:26 PM »
There are so many flavors in citrus, you will get many answers.
I think there are strong regional variations, so what tastes best in one area may not taste so good from another, the exception being limes which I love from anywhere and are probably near the top of the list.
From Cali I most enjoy the 88-2 which has a distinct musk similar to strawberry guava, but also a chalky body. I haven't tasted Allspice tangelo though, which may trump it.
From Japan, I most enjoy the Dekopon, which has many subtle layers of flavor, but really well balanced sweetness/acidity.

That said, there are so many other great citrus out there, which may have very small areas which they really reach their potential in, so it's worth trying whatever you can get a hold of.

Being in Korea, you probably don't have access to limes as easily as elsewhere, I'd say when I was in Japan, I sought those most.

I dislike the naval oranges and mandarins that make up the vast majority of the citrus sold in the US. Commercial varieties of mandarins may be easy to peel but have had all the flavor bred out of them. Naval oranges are harder to peel but only slightly more flavorful. I seem to be in the minority among American consumers when it comes to my opinion on naval oranges and mandarins. When they are available, I purchase Valencia oranges, which still have enough flavor to be worth eating.
Definitely.
I think a lot has to do with trying to get the tree to hold enough fruit to maturity/ greatest yield/acre.
In SoCal, my favorites are Navels from trees in yards which are not watered at all, the trees drop a lot of fruit, but they are intense.
Valencias have great spiciness, they really are an undervalued fruit.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 07:56:26 PM by Oolie »

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 08:48:04 PM »
There are so many flavors in citrus, you will get many answers.
I think there are strong regional variations, so what tastes best in one area may not taste so good from another, the exception being limes which I love from anywhere and are probably near the top of the list.
From Cali I most enjoy the 88-2 which has a distinct musk similar to strawberry guava, but also a chalky body. I haven't tasted Allspice tangelo though, which may trump it.
From Japan, I most enjoy the Dekopon, which has many subtle layers of flavor, but really well balanced sweetness/acidity.

That said, there are so many other great citrus out there, which may have very small areas which they really reach their potential in, so it's worth trying whatever you can get a hold of.

Being in Korea, you probably don't have access to limes as easily as elsewhere, I'd say when I was in Japan, I sought those most.

Definitely.
I think a lot has to do with trying to get the tree to hold enough fruit to maturity/ greatest yield/acre.
In SoCal, my favorites are Navels from trees in yards which are not watered at all, the trees drop a lot of fruit, but they are intense.
Valencias have great spiciness, they really are an undervalued fruit.

The California varieties you mentioned, 88-2 and Allspice tangelo, sound very interesting. I had not heard of them before. I'm definitely going to find out more about those two; they seem like they would be right up my alley.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 02:55:51 AM »
I discovered 88-2 at the supermarket, it was sold as supernova, and it was released shortly thereafter.
It's weakness is that it ripens right at peak citrus season, so it has to compete with perfect Washington navels.

It's originally from a breeding program in Florida and is a USDA selection, though it fruited very irregularly in Florida, it performed much better in California.
The researchers in Florida suspect that the inferior rootstocks it was trialed on in Florida were the cause. They've had very promising results with a new rootstock, so I ordered a couple trees to trial in Alabama where it's too cold for traditional sweet oranges.

Fingers crossed it does well.

I've been trying to source Allspice for a while now, but am not having success. There was a private nurseryman in San Diego who had a tree, but he sold his property a while back, and I haven't been able to confirm if the tree is still there. It's got a short season and does not hold well on the tree, and never colors up, where every other citrus in San Diego including limes do color up well, I can't imagine the new owners would ever enjoy it, it's probably a thing of the past.

Good luck, maybe if you and others petition the CCPP to add it to their offerings, it would become available in the future.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 04:33:39 PM »
Since I live in Alabama, I highly doubt the CCPP cares very much about whether I want them to make this citrus variety available.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 10:29:38 PM »
Since I live in Alabama, I highly doubt the CCPP cares very much about whether I want them to make this citrus variety available.
They do, it's based on demand, and you don't have to be in Cali to order from CCPP.
I'm in Alabama at the moment.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2022, 12:23:44 AM »
In Germany in supermarkets there is a limited sortiment of citrusvarieties regarding the vast varieties of existing citrus. I think best tasting refers to ripeness and variety.
Since I' m growing citrus for myself I am able to influence both, though my climate is still not 10% ideal for citrus.
But I' m glad with my results up to now.
The best tasting varieties of mine up to know were Cocktailpomelo, Satsuma miyagawa, Fukushu Kumquat and Thomasville Citrangequat. Others like Satsuma Okitsu, Meiwa kumquat, Minneola tangelo,.... i only will be able to taste in a few months. My first chandler pomelos, Bloomsweet grapefruits,
Washington Navel and some Tangelos I still have to try again , perhaps more ripe to get more satisfied with them.

SeeSchloss

• Antwerp, Belgium
    • View Profile
    • seos.fr
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 03:09:38 AM »
We also get a limited selection in France (and a very poor one in Belgium, where you're lucky if you can even know what variety you buy) but I like the Tarocco blood oranges I can get here very much. I find blood oranges to be the best tasting citrus that can be eaten raw, more generally.
Despite all the hype around Corsica clémentines here (mostly because they're the main citrus production of France I guess) I really don't like them. I don't really know which precise variety they are.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 06:31:20 AM »
For Tarocco oranges I can 100% agree. Ate my first Taroccos  from Italian market this spring, and I was overwhelmed of the melting fruit and fine aroma.
Now I have 3 plants but still no own fruits yet.

fruitree

• Zone8, South Korea
    • View Profile
    • myfruitrees
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 10:32:22 AM »
For Tarocco oranges I can 100% agree. Ate my first Taroccos  from Italian market this spring, and I was overwhelmed of the melting fruit and fine aroma.
Now I have 3 plants but still no own fruits yet.

In my case
Moro is better than Tarocco , Some Korean Jeju island farm (Korean main citrus area) selling tarocco it is not really good, on the other side moro was good from my own tree

Chandler pomelo , Moro, Sanguinello, vaniglia orange , honey bell(Minneola tangelo) were good
Avana mandarin's aroma smell was not attractive (and seedy)
Bream Tarocco, Valentine pomelo, Mandared are first bearing fruit, i am looking forward it

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2022, 01:54:28 PM »
Honey bell is my favorite. Tangelo.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2022, 06:16:09 PM »
Hi fruitree
What can you tell us about traditional or historic Korean Citrus varieties ?
I believe there are a few long lived trees on Jeju Island.
Also some dating back from before new varieties were introduced more recently.
Any unique Korean varieties ?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2022, 06:44:09 PM »
I attended two Southeastern Citrus Expositions taste testing contest for the best tasting citrus. Both of the contest named Xie Shan Satsuma as the best tasting citrus.  This was  done by the vote of all the attendees at each Exposition.

fruitree

• Zone8, South Korea
    • View Profile
    • myfruitrees
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2022, 11:03:53 PM »

fruitree

• Zone8, South Korea
    • View Profile
    • myfruitrees
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2022, 11:27:59 PM »
Hi fruitree
What can you tell us about traditional or historic Korean Citrus varieties ?
I believe there are a few long lived trees on Jeju Island.
Also some dating back from before new varieties were introduced more recently.
Any unique Korean varieties ?

Theres are a lot varieties... almost traditional varieties Used for medical purposes

Below is 23's new varieties

the name is '가을향 = autumn scent' 13.4birx , '달코미 = sweetie korean anounciation' 14.3brix

GFC

• High Springs Florida Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2022, 09:28:08 PM »
Orlando tangelo is my favorite citrus. Very sweet and tangy and juicy.  The juice from the Orlando is incredible. My coworkers would fight over the juice I took to work.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 04:25:08 PM by GFC »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2022, 12:11:20 PM »
I have read that US Seedless Surprise grapefruit is a very good tasting one. Florida research did some preliminary taste test and found that 76% preferred this one over any other grapefruit. Also 65% indicated they liked it over their favorite citrus. I have this grafted but no fruits yet so I can't comment on it yet. Also have Supernova, but no fruit yet.

One comment on the Valencia orange, I'm in CA and grow 5 different varieties of Valencia. I like the fruits because they will ripen from Jan-Nov on my different trees. So I can have fresh orange all year round. I do notice one interesting distinction on my Seedless Variegated Valencia with Yellow skin (SVVY), must be a bud mutation tree branch. The fruits from this tree has no acidic taste so it doesn't have the sweet/tart taste of most Valencia orange.

But overall, from the fruits I have tasted, the Yosemite Gold mandarin is the best tasting to me. Better than any Sumo, Satsuma, or other mandarins I have growing (19) or tasted from the store.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 01:34:00 PM by sc4001992 »

GFC

• High Springs Florida Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2022, 03:37:14 PM »
I can't find anywhere online to buy a Seedless surprise grapefruit tree. Sounds like something I would love to grow.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2022, 04:12:16 PM »

But overall, from the fruits I have tasted, the Yosemite Gold mandarin is the best tasting to me. Better than any Sumo, Satsuma, or other mandarins I have growing (19) or tasted from the store.

Wow, if Kaz says something like this, I might have to pick up a tree.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2022, 05:04:00 PM »
It surprised me to. I didn't think it would taste so good when I read the reviews/citrus data until I ate many fruits. They were all excellent tasting. I have a few grafted on my larger Golden Nugget tree so I can't wait to get fruits on my grafts.

GFC, you can purchase the US Seedless Surprise grapefruit from the UCR CCPP budwood program.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 06:02:36 PM by sc4001992 »

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2022, 05:50:42 PM »
the Yosemite Gold mandarin is the best tasting to me. Better than any Sumo, Satsuma, or other mandarins I have growing (19) or tasted from the store.

Even better than Shasta?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2022, 06:05:36 PM »
mangoba, yes even better than Shasta.

I thought from reading the reviews of the TDE mandarins, the Shasta Gold was rated the best tasting of the TDEs. But once I started eating the fruits, the results were different. I even purchase 2 Shasta trees and now have tasted 3-6 fruits in the last 2 years from my trees, and they taste good but not excellent. Maybe if the Shasta Gold graft/trees get older the fruits may get better tasting. The Yosemite Gold fruits were from an older/larger tree.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 06:07:58 PM by sc4001992 »