Author Topic: Making new periclinal chimeras like Prague  (Read 480 times)

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
Making new periclinal chimeras like Prague
« on: November 16, 2022, 02:09:34 PM »
A new way to make periclinal  chimeras in citrus is given here.
日 植 病 報 60: 82-88 (1994)
Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Japan 60: 82-88 (1994)
OK,  1994 isn;t new but it is new to mr,  The procass was developed to give disease resistanc in citrus by giving a good variety a coating of a disease resistant variety,  But it seems to me it might work on making good citrus varioties a coating of a cold tolerant variety like ponciris,  The publication says 1/6 of plants made this way were periclinal chimeras,
One would need to use a good varity of citrus that has nucelar seeds,  No problem finding those,
I don't expect the rresulting plants to be hardy in one 6 where I live,  But maybe zone 7 or 8?  Maybe anywhere PPrague is hardy?

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Making new periclinal chimeras like Prague
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 04:05:35 PM »
My area is predicted to reach a solid zone u by 2050.  My wife and I will have a combined age of 194 years, so we won't be holding are breaths.

Akebia

• Mid Atlantic US
    • View Profile
Re: Making new periclinal chimeras like Prague
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 07:11:18 PM »
Several years ago I looked through the literature on chimera synthesis, and this technique appears to be the most efficient method that isn't in vitro.  Its more efficient than a lot of the in vitro methods.  The Japanese have done a lot of work in this area.  I think its a very promising technique.  It consists of approach grafting two seedlings, decapitating the shoot tips, and then further cutting just one of the seedlings at like a 45 degree angle.  Then you apply a plant hormone blend and put parafilm over them.  To select out chimeras you look for the shoots that are slowly growing.  I guess with citrus you could say its a 1/12 success rate instead of a 1/6--given that half would have poncirus flesh.  But still that's amazing to do in just one generation and isn't a ton of work either.  Of course for further breeding a chimera is a dead end.