Author Topic: Lime graft to myer lemon?  (Read 656 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Lime graft to myer lemon?
« on: January 23, 2023, 03:35:30 PM »
Is there any graft compatibility issues with regular large limes grafted on myer lemon tree?  The neighbors want some lime grafts on their lemon tree. 
Brad Spaugh

pagnr

• View Profile
Re: Lime graft to myer lemon?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 03:50:34 PM »
I wouldn't think so. Limes do well on Rough Lemon and Rangpur.
Myer is not a straight ''Lemon" ancestry.
I would say it is worth a shot.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 11:25:34 PM »
I looked up some rootstock compatibility with Tahitian lime. It looks like the Meyer lemon is either a cross of citron x mandarin/pomelo (wikipedia) or lemon x orange (UCR). It says grafting lime onto citron, mandarin, lemon, poncirus trifoliata is not recommended because of poor performance.

But I have grafted lime varieties on lemon and mandarin with no problem, did not try it on Meyer lemon. I did graft sumo, valentine, mandarin on Meyer lemon with no problem or poor performance.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 04:38:42 AM »
I was wondering about mandarin rootstocks for Lime, and that possible element in Myer.
I too have grafted Tahitian lime to rough lemon and trifoliata, it seems common in Australia.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 06:26:06 PM »
I have Mexican and key limes on our dwarf Myer tree. The Mexican limes turn yellow before fully ripe, the key limes stay green, not sure if it has to do with cross pollination or what. Also the key limes are sweet with that nice lime flavor, the Mexicans are a more balanced lemon/lime flavor. I’ve also noticed the Key limes produce less than the Mexican limes.
Nate

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 08:22:05 PM »
I don't think it's citron.

3/4 lemon 1/8 grapefruit (or less likely pommelo), 1/8 tangerine seems consistent with the flavor, appearance etc.