Author Topic: Which of your mango trees still have fruits on August 19 2014?  (Read 32512 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Which of your mango trees still have fruits on August 19 2014?
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 08:16:45 AM »
My Wally finished several weeks ago - after a banner year. My Keitt is loaded with well over a 100. But they are small this year. I should have culled them I think....

"My Wally finished several weeks ago" Wally mango? Do you have a picture, this one I've never seen before...Thanks!!
Francisque  has discussed it before. One of a kind he bought from zill years ago IIRC

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
Re: Which of your mango trees still have fruits on Augsut 19 2014?
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 08:19:55 AM »
Beverly 3 years old 9 feet tall. 50 + and another two weeks to go

Guillermo.

Do you mean two more weeks of production or two more weeks before any are ready to eat? Thanks!
You have great production for a three year old tree

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 08:24:21 AM »
Palmer still all green.

A late contender/ with Keitt!! If you are still waiting to eat these you have a very late mango variety! Not too many have this tree. I would love to hear how they taste in about two weeks

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »

Zands, this is a great thread  8)...glad you started it.

Very little info on Wally mango that I've found  :(

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 06:09:53 PM »
Mallika mangoes just started picking up a yellow tinge.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 06:38:26 PM »
Mallika mangoes just started picking up a yellow tinge.

Mine too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! does that mean pick them...I'm a little worried! I heard they must be picked green to get the optium flavor once properly ripened?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Zambezi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 06:59:44 PM »
Nice Clay!

Not yet..:)

I was going to let them turn completely yellow on the tree. I believe Mallika mangoes are best when you let them color up on the tree before you pick. It's my first crop after years of unsuccessful flowering. :) (I grow my mangoes in pots.)

I was under the impression that the longer they stayed on the tree, the greater the chance for it to color up and produce a sweeter fruit. Maybe one of the experts will chime in, but I'd suggest letting the Mallikas color up on the tree.

PS... Love your selection of Mango trees...:) Beautiful trees.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 07:12:02 PM »
Nice Clay!

Not yet..:)

I was going to let them turn completely yellow on the tree. I believe Mallika mangoes are best when you let them color up on the tree before you pick. It's my first crop after years of unsuccessful flowering. :) (I grow my mangoes in pots.)

I was under the impression that the longer they stayed on the tree, the greater the chance for it to color up and produce a sweeter fruit. Maybe one of the experts will chime in, but I'd suggest letting the Mallikas color up on the tree.

PS... Love your selection of Mango trees...:) Beautiful trees.

Negative Ghost Rider....

I can't confirm the multiple claims, but if you check Pine Islands Website including a few Malika topics on this Forum....you will see that the Malika must be picked Green to achieve optimum ripeness....however i have no idea how accuarate these claims are...you may want to ask around before you miss out on that perfect Malika.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 07:43:29 PM »

I can't confirm the multiple claims, but if you check Pine Islands Website including a few Malika topics on this Forum....you will see that the Malika must be picked Green to achieve optimum ripeness....however i have no idea how accuarate these claims are...you may want to ask around before you miss out on that perfect Malika.

I have read this too. Malika is straight from India. I think many Indian mangoes were bred centuries ago with transportation to city markets in mind. That they would ripen over a period of 7 or more days while being transported. They could be picked rock hard so would not get ruined while being transported. I have read stuff like pick Malika green and put in a box with straw and let it ripen. One could use old blanket I suppose.

I have no Malika but am interested due to having the Indian mango Neelam that I am beginning to think must be picked and ripened indoors same way as Malika. My Neelam fruits have not tasted so good. Many had a carrot type taste. I have not been picking and ripening them indoors so..... I'll  have to give it a try

Video from India
Our Neelam mango crop

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:47:52 PM by zands »

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2014, 12:15:38 AM »
Still have 5 valencia pride,4 pickering, a dozen or so pebble size mallika which is far from maturation and one Irwin
Robert

Zambezi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »
Thanks for the correction guys! I guess it's time to harvest. I hope they will ripen up well...can't wait to taste them!! Fingers crossed!..:)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:42:43 PM by GreenThumb »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 02:03:18 PM »

Zands, this is a great thread  8)...glad you started it.

Very little info on Wally mango that I've found  :(

The only info is in this sites archives.....It seems Walter Zill had this tree for sale years ago. One member has it. The others....they ain't talking. Might be doing great in some Florida backyards and the homeowner doesn't know what it is. It's the Wally!!!

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2014, 01:19:23 AM »
Keitt; begun eating them already.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2014, 08:17:11 AM »
As of August 19th, Lemon Zest, Keitt, and Neelam.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

crazyforcherimoya

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2014, 09:00:33 AM »
Carrie- 4 Fruits.... one of them is almost ready from the first blossom, the second blossomed fruit are about 1-2 months from being ready

You probably already read it..... That Carrie is one of the mangoes most prone to putting out a second round of panicles- blossoms

How reliably does Carry puts out a second crop? is it a sporadic event? Thanks a bunch

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2014, 11:39:21 AM »
Carrie- 4 Fruits.... one of them is almost ready from the first blossom, the second blossomed fruit are about 1-2 months from being ready

You probably already read it..... That Carrie is one of the mangoes most prone to putting out a second round of panicles- blossoms

How reliably does Carry puts out a second crop? is it a sporadic event? Thanks a bunch

I really don't have the data for that sorry. My tree is a 7 gal that I received this year.

banganpalli

• USA,florida,orlando,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2014, 04:38:35 PM »
2 mallicka's left,finished with Glen,Bombay,Irwin & Valencia pride.

crazyforcherimoya

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 02:17:16 PM »
SO FAR-----
Kent and Beverly get the most mentions for a reliable August mango with their peaks maybe 10 days ago (in S Florida) and fading gradually but with fruits still hanging

Wally mango gets honorable mention. Seems very solid-productive for August eating but only one person has it. It should be propagated more widely

what is the verdict for the very late varieties? Would it be a tie between Neelam and Keitt (with special mention for Palmer which appears to go even further into the season but without being common among backyard growers)?

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 02:25:09 PM »

"what is the verdict for the very late varieties? Would it be a tie between Neelam and Keitt"

I picked my last Keitt 2 years ago the first week of Oct...but I do not have Neelam so I have no idea how late
those mangoes are

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »

what is the verdict for the very late varieties? Would it be a tie between Neelam and Keitt (with special mention for Palmer which appears to go even further into the season but without being common among backyard growers)?

Keitt is ye old reliable and the most common. I have Neelam but so far the fruits are not so good tasting with some with a carrot like taste.. I have Keitt too and have no complaints. If you have enough room the Keitt will get large! A neighbor has a large one. About 25feet high and 25ft wide. It is a good looking tree. Keitt fruits are large with many 3lbs on up. His are just now getting ripe/ Mine are not

Neelam is supposed to be a slower grower

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2014, 03:40:55 PM »

Thanks for your take on your Neelam Zands...I'm not a huge fan of the 'carrot taste' in a mango but I do love my Keitts, the only reason my 7 year old tree looks like a 4 year old is due to many years of freeze damage...but its fine its giving me almost 20 mangoes this year and its a small tree...hopefully 'old man winter' will be good to us this year and won't be a bad one so my tree can grow  :D 

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2014, 03:48:34 PM »
Thanks for your take on your Neelam Zands...I'm not a huge fan of the 'carrot taste' in a mango but I do love my Keitts, the only reason my 7 year old tree looks like a 4 year old is due to many years of freeze damage...but its fine its giving me almost 20 mangoes this year and its a small tree...hopefully 'old man winter' will be good to us this year and won't be a bad one so my tree can grow  :D

I know you are chomping champing at the bit to eat yours
You have had a great mango year. Global warming is your friend. Beware of Keitts tendency towards biennial production. Last year 26 fruits. This year 7 on my tree

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2014, 05:38:52 PM »
95% of my mangos have ripen I have a few Glenn, Pickering, Irwin, Haden,Keitt,St Mauis and Malikas......we have a mango tasting in 2 weeks an it's going to take a group effort. Here is a pic of this mornings harvest they dropped one by one, this is the best way of eating a mango.

a small pickering 3 glenns,irwin and haden

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2014, 09:20:12 AM »

I tend to avoid mango trees that require picking at optimum time or else the taste degrades or it has a strange/weird after taste...I like the more traditional varieties where there's little work of when to pick them...let it ripen on the tree or pick a little early when mature and still ripen and taste great :o)...I grow grow a lot of different varieties due to my location so I don't want to gamble on the picky not consistent ones,lol...but that's just me.

I'm beginning to realize that Keitt might be a biennial producer...I had no mangoes at all from my Keitt last year...I thought maybe its because I tipped the tree afterr harvest which was in Oct and thought it might have been to late to late in the season to prune...but maybe its because of the very late harvest season and not enough months to go into "rest" mode?

I'm still waiting for them to ripen...few of them have gotten really large. I might pick one next week and see if it will ripen on the counter...

Took this 2 weeks ago...

JF, GREAT looking harvest you got there...Have fun on your mango tasting!!

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2014, 12:09:31 AM »
Still enjoying only the 'Keitts.' Some are so big that they are not easy to put-away/eat in one sitting.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk