Author Topic: Container Mangos  (Read 14913 times)

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
Container Mangos
« on: October 05, 2014, 12:26:13 PM »
Sup everyone! This is my first post on this forum other than the intro so yall be nice! Im going to pull the trigger on 3 mangos in the very near future. I live in South Houston Tx Zone9A/B where the 2 zones meet. Im still on the fence about whether to put these babies in ground or large containers but Im leaning towards containers at the moment. I will have to put out some effort to protect them in the winter either way so maintaining the trees to around 6-8ft tall will be manditory.  Ive been researching many of the condo varieties and pretty much nailed down the Pickering. After that it gets kinda fuzzy as theres so many to choose from. So far I've got NDM (not sure about all the fruit split I read about), Maha Chanok, Rosigold, Graham and Millika on my radar.  My location is humid most of the time as I'm only 1 mile from Galveston Bay and maybe 15-20 miles from the Gulf so leaf dieses resistance is a must and from what I've read these varieties all have this attribute. I only have room for 3 so which other 2 would you pick and why? Are there any other varieties that are attainable that you would suggest? Any of the new Zill varieties worth trying in my area?

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Container Mangos
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 01:23:35 PM »
Mallika and Neelam are good choices.  I think ndm is only ok.  Splitting is a real big issue with this tree in containers.  With the rain u get in houston, may not be the best choice.  I also like irwin as a small container tree but it would require spraying in houston.  Maha Chanok will fruit in a container as well but mine have splitting problems this year as well.

Pickering did well for me this year.  I just wished the fruit would have been bigger :)

Robert
Robert

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 02:16:28 PM »
Thanks for the response Robert. Whats the deal with Mallika? How do you know when to pick them green? Ive read they are one of the tastiest but only if picked at the right time and ripened in a paper sack. I remember researching Neelam and cant recall why its not on my list. I will look it up again. Im thinking of putting my Lychee and Mangos under a clear plastic cover to keep the rain out that way I can control the amount of water they get. Would that help expand my choices of Mangos? Does that bring LZ and the other Zill varieties into the mix?

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
Just curious, what is your definition of a large container for a mango tree?

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »
Good question. A 65 gallon drum cut in half is what Im refering to so a 30 gallon container.  Thats as big as I want to handle. Im currently growing many plants in those.  They are heavy but not unmanagable.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 04:39:47 PM »
For a Mango tree, I was thinking bigger, like a box.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 04:41:24 PM by ricshaw »

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 05:08:51 PM »
Yup, those are very big containers! Not quite was I was thinking but I see where your going with it. Makes sense too because to root prune you just cut the straps on the boxes and the sides fall off. Alittle root trimming and strap the sides right back on. Thanks for the pick and idea. I can now see the light ;)

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 05:21:05 PM »
You can buy a 1000 pound mover's dolly from Harbor Freight for less than $15.00.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »
Good question. A 65 gallon drum cut in half is what Im refering to so a 30 gallon container.  Thats as big as I want to handle. Im currently growing many plants in those.  They are heavy but not unmanagable.

55 GAL plastic drum, cut the top off. And drill lots of holes on the bottom and lower sides Then just use a dolly to move around.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 02:39:16 AM »
Lemonzest is pretty vigorous for me so it might be tough to keep that in a container.  I had to move mine in ground this year.  Indian mangoes have to be ripen off the tree.  I usually pick them when they start turning a bit yellow-green then ripen them off the tree.

Other trees u might consider is fairchild and angie.  Both are supposed to be compact growers.  I dont have either of them so u will have to ask others who have it to see if they are good mangoes to have.

Robert
Robert

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 07:39:41 AM »

Cogshall, Pickering, Maha, Keitt, Glenn are my suggestions...though Keitts can grow very lanky and tall...you will have to prune this one aggressively.

I have a Glenn ( in a pot) its probably a 25 or so size gallon?  These pics were taken last year 2013)...before I moved it to this size sadly, the wind knocked it down and broke a large branch so the tree is slighly uneven now  :-[ :'(...I also pugged it a few months ago...so its just now starting to look like a tree again...

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »
I have been told that Dot and PPK would also stay small, for pot culture.  I would say Maha is a must-have for pots, since it grows so slowly
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 01:38:16 PM »
Anybody got pictures of a mango tree in a 25 or so size gallon pot with fruit?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »
Your pluses:
  • You are 400 miles south of LA where mangoes are growing in many back yards. So you have more sun and heat
  • Your salt air breezes are a plus for deterring fungal diseases in mangoes. We see this in FL
NDM and Pickering have that low bushy tendency and are fine mangoes. Don't be afraid to get one of the new Zills if you want to. You will just have to put more thought into pruning it. So that's just one out of three. Any mango tree can be pruned to bring out its bushy tendencies via tip pruning and conventional pruning.
The beautiful elongated shape of NDM fruit will amaze people.

NDM splitting? Can't you use a plastic garbage bag taped up high on the trunk to keep rain out of it?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:25:36 PM by zands »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 06:03:22 PM »
Anybody got pictures of a mango tree in a 25 or so size gallon pot with fruit?

Thanks!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 06:10:42 PM »
Your pluses:
  • You are 400 miles south of LA where mangoes are growing in many back yards. So you have more sun and heat
  • Your salt air breezes are a plus for deterring fungal diseases in mangoes. We see this in FL
NDM and Pickering have that low bushy tendency and are fine mangoes. Don't be afraid to get one of the new Zills if you want to. You will just have to put more thought into pruning it. So that's just one out of three. Any mango tree can be pruned to bring out its bushy tendencies via tip pruning and conventional pruning.
The beautiful elongated shape of NDM fruit will amaze people.

NDM splitting? Can't you use a plastic garbage bag taped up high on the trunk to keep rain out of it?

Zands you have sold me that NDM so hard!!! For now it has earned it's keep planted in the ground for now....I love the tree so much... this 7g I purchased set at least 20 Fruit with about 6 on one Panicle that got pretty big before I removed 3 of them.... It also is a Flush Monster.... Out of the all my 13 minus 1 dog destroyed Mango Trees.... Only Edward has produced More growth....

Not only that...This tree has multiple season I believe... my first season  has just now started to yellow up on the tree....who knows....Mangos in  NOV??? The other Panicles formed 2 months ago and also set a nice amount of fruit which could have given fruit in Late Winter possibly with protection* Though I removed all mangos to get the incredible Flush it's producing now.... Zands I just hope the flavor is also incredible...I'm hearing a lot of so so's on this subject matter.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 12:35:14 AM »
For containers I have/recommend Maha, Pickering, Cogshall, Angie, and Fairchild.  My Glenn  isn't that vigorous either.  Coconut Cream seems to be manageable, but I have read that it is not a heavy producer.

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 03:23:31 AM »
Thanks for all the replies! Im convinced that Pickering and Maha are a must have for container. I wrote down a list of the new Zill varieties and will do some research on them. For you guys growing the new Zill varieties, which of them seem to be the slower possibly more manageable ones?

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 06:27:46 AM »
You are several years away from having to worry about getting a half barrel and root pruning, unless you are buying monsters to begin with.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »

Zands you have sold me that NDM so hard!!! For now it has earned it's keep planted in the ground for now....I love the tree so much... this 7g I purchased set at least 20 Fruit with about 6 on one Panicle that got pretty big before I removed 3 of them.... It also is a Flush Monster.... Out of the all my 13 minus 1 dog destroyed Mango Trees.... Only Edward has produced More growth....

Not only that...This tree has multiple season I believe... my first season  has just now started to yellow up on the tree....who knows....Mangos in  NOV??? The other Panicles formed 2 months ago and also set a nice amount of fruit which could have given fruit in Late Winter possibly with protection* Though I removed all mangos to get the incredible Flush it's producing now.... Zands I just hope the flavor is also incredible...I'm hearing a lot of so so's on this subject matter.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=12569.msg160888#msg160888
The NDM also is good for frost protection structures due to its bushy tendencies
Clay, I think you got a stronger than average NDM
The NDM fruits are not as sweet and complex as some of the new Zills. But they still rate higher than the bland Glenns and Hadens I have had. But Glenns and Hadens get better as their season progresses.
Plus you need to diversify into SE Asian mangoes which your NDM and Maha Chanok do. The SE Asian mangoes can resist fungus some years that hits the others. Fungus is probably not much of a problem where you are due to the dry air.

NDM fruit is just very good in its own way. Try to buy a few or taste a few at a JF mango tasting

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »
Thanks for all the replies! Im convinced that Pickering and Maha are a must have for container. I wrote down a list of the new Zill varieties and will do some research on them. For you guys growing the new Zill varieties, which of them seem to be the slower possibly more manageable ones?

Get the new type Zill mango you like and keep it bushy and smaller via tip pruning. My Zill Pina Colada is a slow grower but so what. I would buy what I want and tip prune. It seems to me that the Zills that get mentioned most here are Lemon Zest and Sweet-Tart.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 11:53:50 AM »
I have 2 dwarfs and they're doing extremely well - Pickering which immediately fruited (I dropped all but one) and Mallika which I topped back to 8" tall upon receipt back in Sept. 2013.  Both are growing like a weed now full of foliage.  White flies and spider mites are my only pests, both now controlled.

Whatever container you use, you'd really be remiss not using a root tip pruning pot system in order to produce a small but highly efficient fibrous root mass, either air or copper hydroxide paint on the inside of the pot.  I use RootBuilder.

According to Jim at PIN NDM grows larger than my choices.  Another great resource for you would be Karen Petucek in the valley, she loves Mallika and Pickering.    http://www.riversendnursery.com/  She shipped me 3 type of avocado fruits in a large box and will have pitaya soon FWIW.  Another great resource is to join the Texas Rare Fruit Growers Yahoo forum.  Ed Self is admin, also a member here.  Lots of Houston growers are members and post often.

Mark

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 12:00:34 PM by Mark in Texas »

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 03:45:08 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Been researching the last couple days and for sure will be getting Maha and Pickering. From there I've narrowed them down to NDM, Coconut Cream, Fairchild, Sweet Tart, Neelam and Cogshell. LOL, maybe I just need to make room for more than 3!!!!!!

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 04:34:41 PM »
Rob , welcome to the club. It has just started for you . You will surely have to make room for more LOL. I have 6 mangoes in the ground and have room for 4 more . Learn to take care of those three first by reading up on the forum , don't rush into getting more until you master care and maintenance. After that you can spread your wings. Take advantage of the knowledge on this great board . I have been growing for 5-6 years and i am still learning what/ when / where  to do as far as mango care. Good luck and be patient. The other cultivars are not going anywhere and they are constantly coming out with "NEW" Ones.
Mike 

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 07:04:14 PM »
Mike, really I dont know if I will have room for more. I have so many other fruit trees right now that Im already pushing it from a up keep stand point, and a wife stand point! She thinks Im nuts!!! Ive got well over 50 potted fruit trees right now but alot of them will go into the ground when the house is finished.  I will keep a few of my prized citrus, figs, all the blueberries and the soon to attain tropical trees in pots. Im thinking of having a fruit tree sale my self to get rid of some stuff. My biggest challenge with the tropicals is going to be freeze protection the few nights it happens here.