Author Topic: Winter Park Rollinia 5 free seeds  (Read 6082 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Winter Park Rollinia 5 free seeds
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:38:01 PM »
I'm giving 3 seeds away to the first request,
and 2 seeds to the second request.

Shipping must be paid by u, either paypal or send check.

This Rollinia deliciosa fruit is the first believed to be harvested in the Orlando/Winter Park area.

SO for now (being that these seeds had no pollinator present) we are assuming the seeds will come true.

The fruit was delicious, and the tree is cold hearty to about 32 F, and it will still hold fruits and flowers if protected from wind!

So the name of this particular tree is "winter park", and I think it befits the tree, being it came from winter park, and its a cold area for this tree, so this one fruit was a long shot!

Good luck growing this one!  it fruits  in a pot at around 4 to 5yrs...and it has flowered non stop for around 2.5 yrs!!! believe it or not!

So who wants some special annoa seeds?  here is pics of the fruit eaten today on mother's day!
http://postimage.org/image/thvh8fuy5/
http://postimage.org/image/x5b8ei359/
http://postimage.org/image/85nzarazx/

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:39:49 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Park Rollinia 5 free seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:57:24 PM »
I'd like a couple of seeds, I think it being a bit cold hardy would be good for a try here in Southern California.

Mark

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:25:40 AM »
I like some budwood so I can graft on to a cherimoya seedling, if and when you prune it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 01:55:45 AM »
I like some budwood so I can graft on to a cherimoya seedling, if and when you prune it.

I would be surprised if rollinia can be grafted onto cherimoya, but please let us know how it goes?
Thanks
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 02:01:39 AM »

it's not a good coupling for grafting

just grow from seed, and I'll send budwood to graft onto rollinia ...could graft a plant a early as later this year, or early next spring !!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 02:21:47 AM »
Rollinia is very difficult to grow in California. I remember Steve Spangler at Exotica's in Vista struggling with them. Would be great if rollinia could be grafted onto cherimoya as cherimoya is so much more cold tolerant. Don't think it's ever been tried, so worth a shot, even if a longshot.
Problem with rollinia in California are those long cool soil spells. So though rollinia may survive a few hours of chilly weather in Florida it will have a much harder time for weeks or months of 50F.
I think the secret trick would be to keep the soil warm in winter. Highly suggest using a soil warming cable. (I remember Spangler used heated water pipes in his nursery.) Another killer of rollinia in California is super low air humidity. Suggest using overhead misters.
Oscar

GROW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 02:22:03 AM »

I would be surprised if rollinia can be grafted onto cherimoya, but please let us know how it goes?
Thanks

I tried grafting onto cherimoya's a few years ago, zero takers.....

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 02:24:51 AM »

Did you try approach grafts? These would be most likely to take.
I said it's a longshot because i'm pretty sure that rollinia is a different genus than annona. Despite taxonomists recently lumping the 2 genus together, look at the flowers! They are quite different.
Oscar

GROW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 02:36:05 AM »

Did you try approach grafts? These would be most likely to take.
I said it's a longshot because i'm pretty sure that rollinia is a different genus than annona. Despite taxonomists recently lumping the 2 genus together, look at the flowers! They are quite different.

no approach grafts, some wedge, some whips and chip/bud grafts.....
I was trying to get around exactly what you mentioned though....The roots are where this thing fails in California.
I bought three from PR years ago and only have one left. The other two died from root rot in late winter early spring.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 02:37:44 AM by GROW »

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 09:10:38 AM »
Did all the seeds get scooped up? Id love the opportunity to grow this.

Thanks!

-Luke

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »

it's not a good coupling for grafting

just grow from seed, and I'll send budwood to graft onto rollinia ...could graft a plant a early as later this year, or early next spring !!

Thanks Adam.....early next spring ,March, will be perfect.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 10:25:58 PM »
I am glad to know someone has fruited a rollinia in winter park. I live in down town Orlando and started a seed in Dec  2011 that I picked off the ground at the Fruit and Spice Park. The seed took a while to germinate and started out growing slowly, currently it is indoors under a 400w mh because of outside temp fluctuations. How old is your plant, is it in a pot or in the ground, and any other info would be great since our grow environment is similar. Thank you.

Life is good

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 10:44:06 PM »
Bob,
You may be a lucky man!
Fruit and Spice has one of the best rollinias I ever tasted.  If I am not mistaken, it has at least two (2) different kinds.  One of them is excellent and the other one is very good.  I tried both fruits, and I have a couple seedlings of the best one. Rollinias like organic moist soil.  The ones I grow do not mind been in a moist soil environment.  They will flower in a pot after appprox. four (4) to five (5) years.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:07:51 PM by Berto »

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 11:37:21 PM »
That's interesting that folks have trouble growing Rollinias in California.  I too thought it would be challenging when I first bought a couple of them 3-4 years ago.  Now one of them is about 9' feet tall (it was bigger but I cut it back) and about 5' feet wide, the other is about 7' feet tall and about 6' feet wide.  They both are super healthy and survive our winters just fine, with some nights getting as low as 28 degrees.  I expect both of them to flower this Spring, at least that is what I am hoping.

Jacob

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 01:14:13 PM »
Bob,
You may be a lucky man!
Fruit and Spice has one of the best rollinias I ever tasted.  If I am not mistaken, it has at least two (2) different kinds.  One of them is excellent and the other one is very good.  I tried both fruits, and I have a couple seedlings of the best one. Rollinias like organic moist soil.  The ones I grow do not mind been in a moist soil environment.  They will flower in a pot after appprox. four (4) to five (5) years.
out of the handful of seeds I picked of the ground only one didnt have a hole in it from the bugs. I did notice that it likes to be moist. I am growing it in a mix of sand, mushroom compost, and composted rabbit manure. Right now it is indoors under a 400w mh, I am hoping to excelerate it a few seasons by keeping it under lights during the winter. I noticed tnat outdoors when tbe temperatures dropped my sugar apple stopped growing at 65°, my cherimoyas stopped at around 55° and the rollinia did not stop until it dropped into the mid 40°s. I thought that was unique.
Life is good

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »
I'm interested, if there's any left

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 04:35:22 PM »
I should have some seeds very soon.

I will share some pics when I do.  The largest fruit produced by the tree so far, has been about the size of a large navel orange.

Fruits are on the small side, but are sweet and tasty, with minimal seeds.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk