Author Topic: germinating eugenia neonitida  (Read 2419 times)

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
germinating eugenia neonitida
« on: January 20, 2015, 11:14:02 PM »
Hi.  I got some eugenia neonitida (pitangatuba, starcherry) seeds.  Its been 14 days since I sown it.  Looks like some seeds are rooting out but I don't see any leafing yet.  How long does it take to germinate these seeds?
Robert

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: germinating eugenia neonitida
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 11:21:51 PM »
Hi.  I got some eugenia neonitida (pitangatuba, starcherry) seeds.  Its been 14 days since I sown it.  Looks like some seeds are rooting out but I don't see any leafing yet.  How long does it take to germinate these seeds?

it can take a long time in some cases over 3 months!

and sometimes it will send down a tap root, before sprouting any leaves.

I've also seen a seedling that sprouted, only to have the sprout broken off by the grower...my friend who was growing it had given up hope...but I told them to be patient...it took about another 3 months after the sprout broke off, to finally regenerate.  The tree is flowering and healthy now, after 2.5yr of growing, its about 2ft tall.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

rliou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 12:55:04 AM »
I originally thought the root was the stalk for the sprout until it started growing side branches.  I am guessing I should just keep it in the soil and not check any more.  I hope I don't end up overwater because I am too inpatient  ;D
Robert

Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 11:40:45 AM »
In my case , It wont took too long to germinate , In about 1 month its already germinated . And the seeds can keep well too for almost 1 to 2 months during their long journey all the way from Brazil to my place !   :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:44:56 AM by Ali »

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 02:24:17 PM »
According to my friend Steve, a fruit collector, and a botanist, seeds that  may have chlorophyll in their coat, may germinate faster if exposed to sunlight. Steve recommends sowing pitangatuba seeds just on top of the medium in extra tall pots. As Adam mentioned, pitangatubas have an extremely long taproot.
By using this technique, you may cut the germination time by one third of the "normal" method of burying the seeds. By the way, I just ordered tall pots and will transfer these seeds soon.
I use white sugar sand (pool sand sold in big home improvement stores) and plastic water bottle cuts.
Keep the sand nice and moist.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 04:32:22 PM »
Yes some can take a long time, got seeds from two sources and some started germinating after 2 months some have been going for around 4 months and just popping sprouts out the soil. Some were on top of soil and some just under the soil and doesn't seem to be any difference in how long it takes to germinate but the ones on top tended to have shoots burn and resprout with a few shoots. Very vigorous root system so i have just been checking the bottom of the pot for the tap root to poke out as a guide for repotting as some sprouts one inch high can have tap root hangin out the bottom of a foot deep pot. Hope this helps.
Donnan

rliou

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 09:41:08 AM »
After four long months, my star cherry finally germinated and sprouted

Robert

Anto989

• South Italy , calabria region near the tirrenian coast
    • View Profile
    • The exotic farm