Author Topic: Chempedak Madu (Honey Chempedak)  (Read 8895 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Chempedak Madu (Honey Chempedak)
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:08:06 PM »
I was looking for red chempedak seeds after seeing the post by Tomas about his red chempedak and I found this pic of a "honey chempedak": http://www.flickr.com/photos/assalabaqie/6943772950/#

It looks pretty good. Anyone try it before? It says its better than the regular ones.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Chempedak Madu (Honey Chempedak)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:38:33 PM »
Wonder if the red chempadek is really orangeish, like in that photo? Like the famous Borneo red jack that is really orange? Or it could be like that red fleshed avocado, and be a mistaken identity? A good candidate look alike would be Artocarpus anisophyllus...that really does have red flesh. The exterior of the anisophyllus looks more like a marang, with the little short soft spikes. Ofcourse with Photoshop you can make anything look red.  ;)
About chempadek cultivars, a book from mid 1980's from Brunei lists over 50 chempadek cultivars. I think in USA we maybe have 2 maybe 3, and extremely difficult to get even those 2 or 3 cultivars. :'( I think Frankies is the only one that carries them.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:20:47 AM »
The long bunch banana on that flickr stream looks amazing!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 02:24:57 AM »
The long bunch banana on that flickr stream looks amazing!

We call that Thousand Finger banana. There is another interesting chempedak photo in that album. Looks very different from chempedaks we have here in shape and exterior:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/assalabaqie/7083427789/#in/photostream/
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 02:33:12 AM »
Nice find sh...murahilin  ;D  thanks for sharing

That banana makes this chempadak tree sorta look normal

Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 02:37:03 AM »

One of the better chempadaks around here looks alot like this except the local one is more elongate and irregular.A smoother, smaller more sausage like one with bright orange flesh is also good as well as a rounder,rougher one with big bulbs.In the season I'll show some of the best ones.
I don't think the honey one is around here

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 04:51:23 AM »
I just spoke to a retired fruit researcher who was involved in bringing many tropical fruits into the country and into cultivation.He was the source of 2 outstanding chempadak varieties.His malaysian wife long ago selected what she believed were the two best varieties from her home country and brought the seeds to grow at het new home in Cairns.They are now large productive trees ready to flower again.He said he knows the elite honey variety which is very good and it is a matter of opinion as to whether his 2 elite types are of better quality.He advised they readily outcross and good types produce good seedlings varaities often different from parents.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 02:05:32 PM »
Hi,

several Jacks and nangka merah 8)...Chempadak on the tree awesome.

กินอยู่คือ - คาวหวานจากขนุน 24Jan11 1/4

Hope you guy's can understand...for me no problem ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 02:23:59 PM »
Nice find sh...murahilin  ;D  thanks for sharing

That banana makes this chempadak tree sorta look normal

Wow thats a productive tree!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »
Hi,

Too bad youtube doesn't have a translate feature to get the Thai into english, at least not yet. Wouldn't be surprised if that's available in a few years. The plaited baskets around the chempedaks is a great idea as they probably expand well as the fruit grows. But can't imagine anyone here going to the time and trouble to weave individual baskets for each fruit! Hard enough here to get anyone here to put paper bags over the fruits. I think Thailand doesn't have as many cultivars of chempedak as Malaysia. Thailand seems to have focused mostly on jackfruits. Brunei has also done a lot of work selecting chempedaks. I think a good chempedak far surpasses any jackfruit i've ever tasted. Jackfruits are good, but chempedaks can be really GREAT!
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 09:15:03 PM »
It is hard to find 'chumpa' in bangkok but their are malaysian ones in the south of thailand.The chumpa in ubon seem to be a spectrum ranging between chempadak and jackfruit and there are good ones.I found 2 outstanding malay ones that I ate from the fellow I mentioned earlier tasted better to me than common jacks.... honey gold,cochin,black gold,bangkok lemon and maybe NS1 but it wasn't in the same ball park as amber and the elite jacks.Most chempadaks I think would be less desirable  than common jacks as chempadaks are more often sloppy and smell strongly as well being more variable in quality.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 10:06:41 PM »
It is hard to find 'chumpa' in bangkok but their are malaysian ones in the south of thailand.The chumpa in ubon seem to be a spectrum ranging between chempadak and jackfruit and there are good ones.I found 2 outstanding malay ones that I ate from the fellow I mentioned earlier tasted better to me than common jacks.... honey gold,cochin,black gold,bangkok lemon and maybe NS1 but it wasn't in the same ball park as amber and the elite jacks.Most chempadaks I think would be less desirable  than common jacks as chempadaks are more often sloppy and smell strongly as well being more variable in quality.

How far south did you have to go in Thailand to find chempedaks? Ubon? I thought that is a north eastern province? I would think you would have to go close to Malaysian border? Strong smell and soft pulp doesn't bother me. I look at the taste mostly. I also like how easy chemps are to clean, as opposed to gutting a jack.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 10:55:21 PM »
Fruitlovers yes i was talking about Ubon Ratchathani in a dry part of Isaan near the mekong seperately from the south.I had a range of them in kemmarat,mukdahan and from the chantharak basalt and they were most jacks.In these Loas speaking areas there is a different naming convention.They seem to be very rare in Bangkok and only creep over from Malaysia in the south.You can get good chempadak at the big fruit market near chatachuk in bangkok (starts with O) brought from the southernmost border district.A friend found them for sale in Phuket but didn't keep seeds as they were inferior to Malay chempadaks.You have to go way south to find them and they are always taking a backseat to jacks. 

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 04:11:51 PM »
Hi,

Too bad youtube doesn't have a translate feature to get the Thai into english, at least not yet. Wouldn't be surprised if that's available in a few years. The plaited baskets around the chempedaks is a great idea as they probably expand well as the fruit grows. But can't imagine anyone here going to the time and trouble to weave individual baskets for each fruit! Hard enough here to get anyone here to put paper bags over the fruits. I think Thailand doesn't have as many cultivars of chempedak as Malaysia. Thailand seems to have focused mostly on jackfruits. Brunei has also done a lot of work selecting chempedaks. I think a good chempedak far surpasses any jackfruit i've ever tasted. Jackfruits are good, but chempedaks can be really GREAT!

Hi Oscar,

I totally agree with you. Hopefully in the future...there is so many vids about tropical fruits from India, Indonesia, Thailand...etc I can't anderstand a thing what they are saying :'( Even though i don't understand...I like watching them very much :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 04:24:33 PM »
Some more pics with the 'Honey' chempedak: http://sarawakianaii.blogspot.com/2010/09/chempedak-seedless-red-ones-honey-ones.html

Anyone have any seeds available?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 03:00:56 PM »
Still looking for Honey Chempedak seeds. Anyone have?

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 03:59:12 AM »
Has onyone in FL managed to grow chempedak?
My seedlings died outside the greenhouse. Next time I want to graft them on jackfruit or cheena, maybe this could help...

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 07:00:21 AM »
My seedlings died outside the greenhouse. Next time I want to graft them on jackfruit or cheena, maybe this could help...

I have 2 small seedlings side by side, in ground.  This is their 3rd winter iirc.  They are the Mike T leopard and twisted.  They have been very slow growers, and they do not like cool or dry weather.  They are alive however, and I am hoping they will begin to accelerate soon.  The highest leaf is about 5 feet tall.  Trunk about as thick as my thumb.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 08:46:10 AM by Sleepdoc »

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 10:03:52 AM »

I have 2 small seedlings side by side, in ground.  This is their 3rd winter iirc.  They are the Mike T leopard and twisted.  They have been very slow growers, and they do not like cool or dry weather.  They are alive however, and I am hoping they will begin to accelerate soon.  The highest leaf is about 5 feet tall.  Trunk about as thick as my thumb.

Nice looking tres trees Sleepdoc!  Do you fertilize them? I  find my 8 feet one very sensitive I have use coffee grounds, triple 17 slow released and chicken waste and every time the lower leaves become yellow and fell,  maybe I put too much,  what I found really likes is soil with high organic content like old leaves,  old crush wood like the one after rainy season, having new deep green  leaves just after that,  not a easy tree to grow...
El verde es vida!

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 05:59:23 PM »
Hola Felipe
I think it makes a lot of sense to graft champedak on jakfruit.  Even though the champedak seed is larger I have trouble frequently with the seedling champedak. I understand that Richard Campbell grafts champedak on jak and that is what I am planning to start doing from now on.
I agree with Raul that organic matter is key and this goes for any equatorial fruit tree I can think of.
Saludos
Peter

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 07:51:52 PM »
I agree with Murahilin, will anyone have seeds this year?  I have plans for protected agriculture, kept above 50 degrees F for the entire growing season, here in Central Florida. Send a PM.

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 12:59:32 AM »
I just came back from Taiwan.  They had trouble growing Chempedak from seed because they wouldn't survive the winter.  Then they graft it on Jakfruit rootstocks and they were then able to grow it.  I would assume the same is true for Florida since weather is similar
Robert

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 09:47:32 AM »
Robert, do you know what grafting technique they are using?
Peter

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 09:54:55 AM »
Robert, do you know what grafting technique they are using?
Peter

The largest nursery in my area uses approach grafting for all of their jackfruits to ensure success. I assume the chempedak seedlings can be approach grafted onto the jackfruit seedlings just as easily.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 10:37:25 AM »
I noticed that at ExcaLibur they were doing a type of approach graft that imitated a cleft or saddle graft. The root stock was prepared as for a saddle graft and notched into the branch.
I have had better success with side veneer, as I saw in a video from India. I am now wanting to go back to cleft but with very, very green material then enclosing the whole thing.
In Richard Campbell's video on jakfruit grafting he wraps the scion with film and clefts it on like what I do with avos. This has never worked for me with jakfruit or champedak.
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk