Author Topic: Chempedak Madu (Honey Chempedak)  (Read 8849 times)

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Chempedak Madu (Honey Chempedak)
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 11:14:59 AM »
In taiwan they use approach graft and even then the success rate is not very high.  Having said that, this is just what the nursery people tell me.  I have no personal experience.
Robert

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 02:14:17 PM »
Hola Felipe
I think it makes a lot of sense to graft champedak on jakfruit.  Even though the champedak seed is larger I have trouble frequently with the seedling champedak. I understand that Richard Campbell grafts champedak on jak and that is what I am planning to start doing from now on.
I agree with Raul that organic matter is key and this goes for any equatorial fruit tree I can think of.
Saludos
Peter

Hola Don Pedro :)
thank you very much for the imput. Now I need again some seedlings. I have no more Leopard seedlings from Mike  :'(
I'm positive this experiment could work...  ;)

I agree that organic matter makes miracles with tropical plants (and also low water/soil ph)!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 10:19:38 PM »
The twisted is better than the leopard but nothing is like the leopard in appearance. Honey is good but not up to the standard of these two. Zapallas' durian chempadak is a high standard fruit but his red (really orange) is his best. The varieties are so different from each other in many respects that it can be hard to compare.There are a lot of bad chempedaks out there that are kinda savoury and with a poor aftertaste. Get a bad one and you'll be off them for life.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2016, 11:35:34 AM »
Mike, what's the preferred grafting technique for those select champedeks in your area?
Thanks, Peter