Author Topic: Custard Apple "Vino Tinto" seeds & scions; for sale  (Read 5501 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Custard Apple "Vino Tinto" seeds & scions; for sale
« on: March 29, 2015, 09:41:09 PM »
Im planning a trip to collect seeds and budwood of this purple reticulata in about 10 days; anybody interested please PM me; to consider your request in case either seeds or scions could be limited
El verde es vida!

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Custard Apple "Vino Tinto" seeds & scions; for sale
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 02:07:49 PM »
Hola Raul,

are you saying that you are going to pick material from one tree? I already have 'vino tinto' seedlings from Luc, but in case that find any other interesting reticulatas/annonaceas in the jungle, I would be happy to buy seeds :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »
Hola Raul,

are you saying that you are going to pick material from one tree? I already have 'vino tinto' seedlings from Luc, but in case that find any other interesting reticulatas/annonaceas in the jungle, I would be happy to buy seeds :)

Felipe,

I have a seedling that fruited from Luc, It came indirectly from Ed Self, turned out to be unique (having bumpy skin, but not near as spiked as the original vinho tinto)

Luc recently reported that all the seeds he planted did not make fruits with the same exact shape as the mother tree....

I ended up renaming the vinho tinto seedling I've been grafting (and selling scions of), I'm calling it "Ed" (after Ed Self, who gave me the tree).

I think the only way to have the Vinho Tinto is to graft from the original tree.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:18:07 PM »
Adao, I have seen that often chirimoyas on one tree have heterogeneous and very atipical shape. I think this is because of the pollen of other trees (other cultivars, maybe also other annona species in my orchad?). Maybe Lucs vino tinto was bumby because of the polen of another tree...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:20:07 PM »
Adao, I have seen that often chirimoyas on one tree have heterogeneous and very atipical shape. I think this is because of the pollen of other trees (other cultivars, maybe also other annona species in my orchad?). Maybe Lucs vino tinto was bumby because of the polen of another tree...

good point amigo!!  I've wondered this myself.  I believe you are right (i've read that pollen can have an effect on fruit shape)!

that maybe the solution to the mystery of the vinho tinto's weird shape?

maybe we need to find out what other species are close by the vinho tinto, that can pollinate it?

wouldnt' that be crazy if we could grow an annona, just to use it's pollen to create funny shaped fruits?

(but then wouldnt' all those funny shaped fruits give rise to new hybrid seedlings??)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:24:48 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 07:58:45 PM »
I will find out next week if it is a regular form those spikes or is the.pollen from another tree the time Luc and I where there ., there was only two fruits on the tree and both were with spikes.......

good point amigo!!  I've wondered this myself.  I believe you are right (i've read that pollen can have an effect on fruit shape)!

that maybe the solution to the mystery of the vinho tinto's weird shape?

maybe we need to find out what other species are close by the vinho tinto, that can pollinate it?

wouldnt' that be crazy if we could grow an annona, just to use it's pollen to create funny shaped fruits?

(but then wouldnt' all those funny shaped fruits give rise to new hybrid seedlings??)
El verde es vida!

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »
Raul , If you are gonna try to find the same spot keep an eye out for this elusive purple fleshed one that we never found and go prepared this time in case you have to spend the night . Remember you are also a few years older...hahahaha
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 04:33:10 PM »
Raul , If you are gonna try to find the same spot keep an eye out for this elusive purple fleshed one that we never found and go prepared this time in case you have to spend the night . Remember you are also a few years older...hahahaha
si Luc!!
I don't know if I can climb to the top of the trees anymore!  Ja, ja,  I'm going with enough time and going to taste every single tree to take scions of only the very best ones around!  But Luc the Vino Tinto is purple flesh as I recall Isn't?
El verde es vida!

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 05:19:56 PM »
Adao, I will make a pictorial report once my VT starts fruiting. Meanwhile we should consider a trip to MX in order to join Raul in his trips to the jungle ;)

Raul, buena suerte! ;)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 08:46:09 PM »
Adao, I will make a pictorial report once my VT starts fruiting. Meanwhile we should consider a trip to MX in order to join Raul in his trips to the jungle ;)

Raul, buena suerte! ;)

haha!

sounds like a fun trip, but I will have to stay in FL!

I have too many responsibilities (and strongly dislike flying in airplanes, and TSA agents groping my genitalia)...I take care of thousands of plants, and even some animals...they all depend on me...so I am prisoner in my own paradise...maybe that is why I'm collecting all the plants from far away places I will probably never visit!

if i can't travel to these places, the least I can do is collect all the best fruiting plants!  that's what I'd be after anyhow if I went on a trip.

I really am thankful for people like Raul and Luc...without them, life wouldn't taste as good...and growing food wouldn't be as exciting.  They are my role models and heroes!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 10:48:34 AM »
si Luc!!
I don't know if I can climb to the top of the trees anymore!  Ja, ja,  I'm going with enough time and going to taste every single tree to take scions of only the very best ones around!  But Luc the Vino Tinto is purple flesh as I recall Isn't?

Raul , here are the fotos of the 2 fruits we collected .

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 11:18:26 AM »
Luc,

i've always wondered about that photo....why does it appear that the spikes have disappeared on the second photo of the cut fruit?

I can see the edge of the skin, and it looks smooth.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 05:01:23 PM »
I always thought those two pics were of the same fruit...

I suppose it was because of this link:

http://www.e-jardim.com/produto_completo.asp?IDProduto=244
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 07:57:16 PM »
Luc,

i've always wondered about that photo....why does it appear that the spikes have disappeared on the second photo of the cut fruit?

It wasn't smooth Adam , just a lot less pronounced like the other one .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 08:22:48 PM »
Luc,

It wasn't smooth Adam , just a lot less pronounced like the other one .

thanks for the info Luc!

I'm wondering how much different the fruit from our seedling tree in FL is compared to the ones you had?  (did you see the pics?  maybe it was the same shape as this other vinho tinto fruit that was cut in half?  much less bumpy?)

Im just trying to figure this out, so I can explain to my customers who got trees and scions!

I appreciate all your info!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 12:19:49 PM »
I have fruited this tree that came from Adam. The owner of the farm I work at thought it was a seedling tree and I couldn't see any graft union after inspecting the tree after it has matured. I had previously sold scions as 'SSVTS' thinking it was a seedling but I am not sure anymore after reading this thread. Maybe it was a seedling from when Adam fruited it or perhaps it was a grafted tree from him. Here are some pictures of the fruit. It had mild grit and a decent sweetness. The leaves are unique and look like a mix between reticulata and squamosa but has a ripening period of reticulata. The fruit have these distinct protuberances that aren't typical for reticulata. I have only eaten a handful of different reticulata so I don't have the experience to properly judge it but it was pretty good. I am putting the seeds in the sale section now if anyone is interested.

Maybe if Adam sees this he can recall if he sold any seedling trees. I think he bought it at the Manatee sale 7 or 8 years ago.

-Josh