Author Topic: Mulberry Thread.  (Read 71535 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Mulberry Thread.
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2016, 01:26:44 PM »
Hi! I have 4 mullberry trees, 1 black, one white, one pakistan black and one pakistan white.

How cool! How do you like "white" vs "pakistan white", in terms of taste and staining potential?
;D Well i don't know yes because both are new trees, but the pakistan white flavour are discribed as having a melon taste...  :P

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2016, 01:33:27 PM »
Hi! I have 4 mullberry trees, 1 black, one white, one pakistan black and one pakistan white.

How cool! How do you like "white" vs "pakistan white", in terms of taste and staining potential?
;D Well i don't know yes because both are new trees, but the pakistan white flavour are discribed as having a melon taste...  :P
My pakistan white is Saharanpur variety and the pakistan black one is shah-tut variety http://demoerbeiboom.be/nl/catalogus/moerbei/morus-macroura

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2016, 07:33:32 PM »
Can anyone comment on the different Morus Nigras out there? Black Beauty, Noir de spain, Black Persian?
I Have Noir de Spain and Black Persian and the Noir de Spain is very close taste wise to black Persian! Very intense mulberry flavor!

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2016, 09:02:50 PM »

I had pakistan white first time last year and to me it tasted like sweet corn.
Shane

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2016, 07:23:10 PM »
Anyone able to comment on the difference, if any, among the Pakistani, Himalayan and Peruvian Mulberry varieties?

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2016, 03:09:03 PM »
What's the scientific name of Pakistan Mulberry? I guese it is not a variety of Morus nigra,

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2016, 05:00:24 PM »
Anyone able to comment on the difference, if any, among the Pakistani, Himalayan and Peruvian Mulberry varieties?

Have had Pakistani and Himalayan and prefer the former. Has a bit more body to me, though neither has much.
Shane

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2016, 12:39:52 AM »
I've tasted the first fruit of my "white" graft from this February. Not sure if I should judge this variety by it, too tart for my taste, although to be fair the fruit was probably not 100%, still showed a tint of red on the top. Waiting patiently for the rest of fruits to fully ripen.

Will mulberry fruits get better from its first year fruits? I may or may not want to keep this particular graft, especially since it significantly overshadows other grafts.
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2016, 07:03:56 AM »
Your "White" mulberry was red in color?  ???
- Rob

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2016, 03:38:37 PM »
Your "White" mulberry was red in color?  ???

Idk... From crfg website: The white mulberry is so-named for the color of its buds, rather than the color of its fruit. I am really hesitant to keep this variety. Definitely cannot compare to regular pakistani (my rootstock).

There is a "white pakistani" fruit from another graft that has been overshadowed, hoping to taste that one soon. If that one is sweet, then I can more or less conclude it's the variety, not timing.

My rootstock is regular pakistani, and this spring I grafted noir de spain, this unknown "white", and "white pakistani" onto it. My priority is taste (namely sweetness lol), then staining potential.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2016, 08:41:49 PM »
I guess they refer to "Morus alba" which is the specie with white buds. "Alba" in Latin means "white". Morus nigra, instead, is the common mulberry. Supposedly better taste-wise than its white counterpart, "nigra" in this case in latin means "black". Pigmentation of fruits can range from white to black for the fruit of both species, as far as i know.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2016, 02:13:56 AM »
The white pakistani graft has since shot up 1-2 feet in vegetative growth, but that single fruit refuses to ripen grrrr.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2016, 12:19:34 PM »

To bump, has anyone tasted Peruvian mulberries?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2016, 10:59:39 AM »
Never heard of Peruvian mulberry got pic's!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2016, 01:32:33 PM »
Maybe it's a typo of Persian?

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2016, 03:01:26 PM »
google search gave me this
http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/morus_hybrid.htm
5161 Morus peruviana - Mulberry, Peruvian

I am interested in WHITE color white mulberry lol

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 03:06:16 PM by funlul »

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2016, 10:35:40 AM »
Very interesting thanks for link ;)

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2016, 03:01:04 PM »
The white pakistani graft has since shot up 1-2 feet in vegetative growth, but that single fruit refuses to ripen grrrr.

Finally tasted it. Hmmm I found it very similar in taste to regular pakistani, mildly sweet. Maybe next year the sweetness will improve.

The other "white" mulberry graft is bearing multiple new fruits again. Have to give it credit on being prolific.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2016, 03:36:26 AM »
White mulberries growing at my parents house are very much snow white only if bruised do they get a pink tinge. No acidity at all like a honey sweetness.

Are all white fruited mulberries alba or not necesarrily?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2016, 11:10:35 PM »
I've tasted the first fruit of my "white" graft from this February. Not sure if I should judge this variety by it, too tart for my taste, although to be fair the fruit was probably not 100%, still showed a tint of red on the top. Waiting patiently for the rest of fruits to fully ripen. Will mulberry fruits get better from its first year fruits? I may or may not want to keep this particular graft, especially since it significantly overshadows other grafts.

The other "white" mulberry graft is bearing multiple new fruits again. Have to give it credit on being prolific.

And voila, it redeemed itself! Got few more fruits from the new growth (as opposed to fruits that came with the scion) and they were remarkably better. Although I still prefer pakistani and my neighbor's unnamed light purple short variety, this one is worth keeping. It definitely grows FAST.

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2016, 12:20:31 AM »
I have a mulberry that came to me by way of the birds. It is 3 years old now and produced fruit for the first time this season, the berries being small but entirely white and very sweet but kind of bland. It grew from the beginning of last season as a 10'' tall seedling to 4ft at the beginning of this season and is now already almost 7ft. I just pruned it back today despite right now not being the proper time. I took a lot of cuttings in hopes that the crop I got this year will be the consistent fruit type and not just it's first year fruits. I live in Michigan and we have all sorts of wild black and red mulberries but I have only seen a single what seems to be wild white mulberry a few blocks from my house at the edge of a forest. The tree itself is really weird as it put out the regular small lobed leaves on it's branches but a ton of shoots from the lower trunk have large un-lobed leaves. It has survived two of the worst winters of my lifetime as well so I guess it's fairly hardy as well.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2016, 07:41:34 PM »
How far away should mulberry trees be planted from concrete and building foundations?

My mulberry tree is about 5.5 feet away from the fence, planning to prune it heavily to keep it from messing up the neighbor's place. However I did not think about the neighbor's foundation when planting it. It's about... um 10 feet away I guess.

What do you recommend? Would early root pruning help? Many thanks!!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:48:41 PM by funlul »

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2016, 12:29:05 AM »
Trench and concrete barrier? I put everything all my fig family trees (fig, mulberry) far from house, pool and pipes. When I cut down my big F. benjamina it had a 20ft surface root to the neighbors (overwatered) yard.
Shane

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2016, 12:30:06 AM »
Anyone have a male tree from named variety parentage? I'd like to stark making seeds.
Shane

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2016, 02:36:22 PM »
Trench and concrete barrier? I put everything all my fig family trees (fig, mulberry) far from house, pool and pipes. When I cut down my big F. benjamina it had a 20ft surface root to the neighbors (overwatered) yard.

!!!! omg