Author Topic: Fairchild farm visit and mango tasting  (Read 2225 times)

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
Fairchild farm visit and mango tasting
« on: June 07, 2015, 11:45:53 AM »
Collier fruit growers club had a field trip organized to Fairchild farm and fruit and spice park on 06/04/2015, Thursday. At Fairchild farm, Noris Ledesma was very kind to give us a mango tasting and a quick tour of the farm. Following were the mangoes we tasted.

CogshallPhimsen ManAngieCarrieCoconut Cream

After that we visited Fruit and spice park and that was uneventful. Except for some Lychees, there weren't any remarkable fruits for tasting. All those Lychee trees with mature fruits in and around the park was remarkable though, this was my first time seeing Lychee trees loaded with mature fruits.
- AJ

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Fairchild farm visit and mango tasting
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »
so.... what was your take on the mangos tried? reviews please.

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 02:55:32 PM »
so.... what was your take on the mangos tried? reviews please.

I am not good at describing taste profiles or giving reviews. Anyway, I will just describe how I felt. I have eaten Carries before, but not the others.

Coconut Cream: Though it was very good, didn't have that WOW moment, which I was hoping for. I felt a hint of pineapple taste.
Carrie: I have always liked it and it didn't disappoint. I got a Carrie to take home and ate it yesterday, it was great too.
Phimsen Man: It reminded me of some NDMs I recently had, simple and sweet, liked it very much. I got one of that too to take home, had it today, and I liked that too.
Angie was good, but not over the top, same with Cogshall too.

I liked Carrie the most among this group. I wonder if I my ranking would have been different, had it been a blind taste test.
- AJ

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 08:57:47 PM »
Were these just picked and cur?  I wonder if the fruit you sampled was truly ripe/ready to eat.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 09:05:02 PM »
Collier fruit growers club had a field trip organized to Fairchild farm and fruit and spice park on 06/04/2015, Thursday. At Fairchild farm, Noris Ledesma was very kind to give us a mango tasting and a quick tour of the farm. Following were the mangoes we tasted.

CogshallPhimsen ManAngieCarrieCoconut Cream

After that we visited Fruit and spice park and that was uneventful. Except for some Lychees, there weren't any remarkable fruits for tasting. All those Lychee trees with mature fruits in and around the park was remarkable though, this was my first time seeing Lychee trees loaded with mature fruits.
My cogshalls look different than the one shown here. I am not talking just color.....but also fruit shape.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 09:11:13 PM »
Were these just picked and cur?  I wonder if the fruit you sampled was truly ripe/ready to eat.

Not sure when they were picked, as this was a scheduled trip, mangoes were already cut and presented as in the picture when we arrived there, we were 13 people in the group and each got few pieces to taste, I felt different levels of ripeness in "Phimsen Man" with some not ripe enough, but others seemed at the right level of ripeness.
- AJ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk