Author Topic: Clash of Some Titans......Mango Style  (Read 7434 times)

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Clash of Some Titans......Mango Style
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 10:05:02 PM »
These 'which mango is better' threads are pretty silly, really. The fact that one's preference is mostly determined by their culture (American coke, for example, is different to Australian Coke and tastes like cola syrup to me) notwithstanding, there's just too much subjectivity involved to denote different cultivars into categories of better than or worse than. Obviously there's going to be some exceptions, such as turpentine mangoes which are used as rootstocks.

LZ might be the GOAT in the US, but the Asian market might preference MC. For example the most popular prickly pears in Mexico are the green fleshed types--but I and many other collectors find them bland and sometimes strange tasting.

Normality is culturally bound.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 10:39:27 PM »
Someone (was it Harry?) mentioned about the peak of ripeness as a factor in these taste testings -
couldn't be more true.  From one day to the next the tables can turn and any perfectly ripe mango on
tasting day will slide others down the titan list if their timing is off.

It's a fact, every taste testing I've ever been to has mangoes that are in various stages of ripeness
which is an absolute factor in their ratings.  It's simply a built-in problem, which never seems to put
a damper on the FUN however.....

Gary

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 10:51:52 PM »
These 'which mango is better' threads are pretty silly, really. The fact that one's preference is mostly determined by their culture (American coke, for example, is different to Australian Coke and tastes like cola syrup to me) notwithstanding, there's just too much subjectivity involved to denote different cultivars into categories of better than or worse than. Obviously there's going to be some exceptions, such as turpentine mangoes which are used as rootstocks.

LZ might be the GOAT in the US, but the Asian market might preference MC. For example the most popular prickly pears in Mexico are the green fleshed types--but I and many other collectors find them bland and sometimes strange tasting.

Normality is culturally bound.

Must not be so silly since companies spend a lot of money trying to figure out consumer preference. Before releasing a product they will go to great lengths to do similar taste tests and see which version is preferred most often. Yes there will be different preferences in different countries and cultures, but still you can come to very good regional conclusions as to what majority of people subjectively prefer. Yes it doesn't really mean that anything is absolutely the best, just what most people prefer in a certain place and culture.
Oscar

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 11:51:36 PM »
Absolutely loved fruit punch. Can't wait to get my hands on this variety. Pikering was also excellent.  Rest some were picked a bit early.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 08:03:56 AM »
Clearly Fruit Punch is the B.O.A.T.T.
i.e. the best of all tastes today

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 09:18:11 AM »
Someone (was it Harry?) mentioned about the peak of ripeness as a factor in these taste testings -
couldn't be more true.  From one day to the next the tables can turn and any perfectly ripe mango on
tasting day will slide others down the titan list if their timing is off.

It's a fact, every taste testing I've ever been to has mangoes that are in various stages of ripeness
which is an absolute factor in their ratings.  It's simply a built-in problem, which never seems to put
a damper on the FUN however.....

Gary

So true. I let 2 Fruit Punch Mangos over ripen on the counter and they weren't very good, and I have had outstanding Fruit punch mangos to compare.- this variety may not keep well and that may be a shortcoming

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk