Author Topic: Anyone getting terrible tasting Kents this year?  (Read 12090 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone getting terrible tasting Kents this year?
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 10:02:38 AM »
Even with no newer Zill varieties I would still not recommend a Kent.   I would much rather have the following non new Zill varieties over a Kent: Spirit of 76,  Southern Blush,  Mallika,  Cushman,  Fairchild,  Beverly,  Dupius,  Coc,  PPK,  Dot, Okrung, Mahachanok, hell, even a Zill,  to name a few in no particular order.

Never heard of the hell mango before..:P  :D

Me neither....now I want 2  ;)

you couldn't afford one.    :o
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 12:49:16 PM »
Bet they are spicy.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 11:48:13 PM »
most asian markets where i live have been carrying boxes of kent, they're just as sweet and tasty as ataulfo as far as commercial mango variety, not to mention much bigger.

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 09:53:24 PM »
Odd that so many of you feel Kent is no good.  If I were to pick the most consistently good tasting mango, the one variety that if I had to introduce a newcomer to the quality mango experience, it would be the Kent.  Of course, one driver of this recommendation is that you can actually find Kents without an Easter egg hunt.

I don't think I've ever had a BAD Kent or a Kent with jelly seed.  The ones I've had so far this year were no exception.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2015, 11:17:54 PM »
I agree with the positive assessmant of the kent mango. It has been one of my consistently favorite mangos each year. Top three of the older varieties. I have one planted and can't wait for it to get huge!!;D ;D ;D

Mangorilla the Uslurper

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2015, 04:18:21 AM »
Hello... I'm new to this forum. I just knocked down a 30' foot slash pine so as to make room to plant a 3 gallon Kent that I bought recently at the Home Depot. Now I think I'm going to be planting it with a little suspicion after reading the mixed views here. I've tasted a lot of mangos growing up around South Florida. Some I've liked a lot and others not so much. The thing is I never really new what variety I was having and I'm sure many have been seedling types. So I'm not sure how well I'm going like my choices in a few years when I start tasting these babies (that is if Mother Nature is kind enough to hold off on the cold for a while). I've already planted 12 other small mango trees. Im hoping there will be a few gems in there but maybe the Kent will not so much be one of them?

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2015, 07:46:53 AM »
Hello... I'm new to this forum. I just knocked down a 30' foot slash pine so as to make room to plant a 3 gallon Kent that I bought recently at the Home Depot. Now I think I'm going to be planting it with a little suspicion after reading the mixed views here. I've tasted a lot of mangos growing up around South Florida. Some I've liked a lot and others not so much. The thing is I never really new what variety I was having and I'm sure many have been seedling types. So I'm not sure how well I'm going like my choices in a few years when I start tasting these babies (that is if Mother Nature is kind enough to hold off on the cold for a while). I've already planted 12 other small mango trees. Im hoping there will be a few gems in there but maybe the Kent will not so much be one of them?

You should always take other people's opinions with a grain of salt. This being a tropical fruit forum, you're reading the opinions of fruit snobs and crazies (people that taste hints of butterscotch and a whiff of Sunday mornings in their mangoes). Given that Kent is a late variety and is mostly starting to ripen up now, you may as well find a local fruit seller/grower and sample the fruit before you put the tree in the ground. I made the mistake of planting a bunch of trees out based solely on word of mouth and the pine island mango viewer. Hindsight being 20/20, I wouldn't have planted at least 3 - 5 varieties. Already ripped out one (carrie) and others are on the chopping block/will be topworked.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2015, 08:01:35 AM »
While you state Kent is late season and they are just starting to come in.  Hint hint, we are basically in mid July,  which is mid season.  With that being said, and in a more "normal " season, Kent tends to be ready in August with the real late season varieties are Keitt, Beverly,  Honey Kiss,  Neelam and Venus.

Now, as far as recommendations,  you took advice from a commercial retail/wholesale nursery's marketing garbage.  All of their viewers are skewed and off to say the least.   Maybe if you had listened to actual mango snobs and aficionados you would not have to be ripping anything out, welll except for the Carrie.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:08:14 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2015, 10:00:06 AM »
Kent is my most favorite mango. Also, too early. Mine are loaded but not a single fruit ripe yet.   One just dropped yesterday so that means soon!

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2015, 10:46:27 AM »
My Kents this year have been awful.  Time to chop and top.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2015, 01:29:41 PM »
My Kents this year have been awful.  Time to chop and top.

You need to change brands.  Real men buy Marlboro's.

Mangorilla the Uslurper

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2015, 10:28:41 PM »
Thanks Savemejebus. I wish there was a place near me that sold mangos like they do at Excalibur. I don't know how to tell mangoes apart by looking at them and most people I get them from I don't think they know what they have. I've already planted the Kent but I don't want to wait 4 or 5 years to try them. I have to go down to South Miami soon (my parents live there) do you or anyone else know a good place to buy Mangoes that are labeled by variety? Maybe they have the ones that taste like Sunday morning? BSBullie I have a Keitt planted and am looking to get another late season. What is Venus? Is that a new variety or an older one? is it a good one to grow in Florida?

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2015, 10:48:04 PM »
Thanks Savemejebus. I wish there was a place near me that sold mangos like they do at Excalibur. I don't know how to tell mangoes apart by looking at them and most people I get them from I don't think they know what they have. I've already planted the Kent but I don't want to wait 4 or 5 years to try them. I have to go down to South Miami soon (my parents live there) do you or anyone else know a good place to buy Mangoes that are labeled by variety? Maybe they have the ones that taste like Sunday morning? BSBullie I have a Keitt planted and am looking to get another late season. What is Venus? Is that a new variety or an older one? is it a good one to grow in Florida?

Where are you located? As far as I know, there are sellers in West Palm, Delray, and Davie that likely have Kent (depending on when it ripens). I think most of the household growers along the way would probably be willing to share a ripe one as well.

I had one this morning that was passable (but certainly not something to write home about) - so maybe they are getting better as the season goes on.

Mangorilla the Uslurper

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2015, 12:23:12 AM »
I'm in Collier County. I don't know of any commercial growers around here and you don't regularly see the trees planted like you do everywhere on the east coast.

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2015, 07:29:35 AM »
Go to pine island in lee county. Every mango imaginable.  Or just let me know what you want to try and ill help you find it.

Mangorilla the Uslurper

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2015, 09:03:28 AM »
Thanks Fort Myers fruit. I want to try all of them!! That's good to know about Pine Island next time I'm in North Fort Myers or Cape Coral. I will definitely cruise up there. Do you find them in the shops or are there farms that you can go to?

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2015, 04:54:25 PM »
Thanks Fort Myers fruit. I want to try all of them!! That's good to know about Pine Island next time I'm in North Fort Myers or Cape Coral. I will definitely cruise up there. Do you find them in the shops or are there farms that you can go to?

Fruit Scapes in Pine Island (http://www.fruitscapesllc.com/) is a good nursery and has a good fruit stand, nice people too. I visited them couple of weeks back, they have mangoes in labelled bins and you could sample those before buying. I bought one or two each from all varieties (may be eight) they had at that time - I felt some of those were not picked at right time when I started to eat those, though - so pay attention while selecting. They have beautiful fruit trees in all sizes (may not have as many varieties as Excalibur/PIN does), I picked some 7G and 3G trees and planted most of them in ground, one more to plant.

I am also in Collier county, I have a Kent tree (identified by forum help, as it came with the property), I like them, but not overly excited about them and I will be glad to share some with you (for free) to taste. Both Naples and Bonita Springs have fruit growers club and you might find them interesting too. I am a member of Naples club (http://www.collierfruit.org/index.html). PM me if you have any questions or need any help, I will help out as much as I can.

PS: I am not affiliated with Fruit Scapes nursery in any way.
- AJ

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2015, 07:34:18 PM »
Should the Kent mangoes be left on the tree to ripen for best taste?

Assuming that is the case, I have been leaving mine alone. I looked around the tree today and found few prospects. I thought I will share some pictures.

Ripe one is on the left, you can see the color difference with the rest
This is another one, appears to be a bit more ripe than the first one
- AJ

Mangorilla the Uslurper

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2015, 09:01:15 PM »
Thanks AJ I'd love to try them they look great. I will check out the Naples fruit Growers Club I already started by liking them on Facebook. I've only been a fruit grower for a about a year and I have a lot to learn so every bit of knowledge I can gain is a bounty

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2015, 11:47:12 AM »
Should the Kent mangoes be left on the tree to ripen for best taste?

No. Kent should be allowed to ripen off the tree.

Allowing Kent to ripen on the tree increases the likelihood of internal breakdown, and the seed will often germinate inside the fruit as well.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:53:48 AM by Squam256 »

Mangorilla the Uslurper

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »
I did not know that mangos where so "picky"! Does anyone have a comprehensive list on all the popular varieties of mango with information on when the ideal time to pick each variety is and what techniques work best for ripening off the tree. If there is nothing already out there can someone begin a thread? It would be good to have a one stop place to go and look up this information.

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2015, 10:33:10 PM »
No. Kent should be allowed to ripen off the tree.

Allowing Kent to ripen on the tree increases the likelihood of internal breakdown, and the seed will often germinate inside the fruit as well.

You are right on, today I sliced into one of the ripe mangoes I picked yesterday and it had internal breakdown, I will try to pick the remaining sooner. Is there any good way of telling when to pick these? Also, I guess I will have to figure out the spraying regimen from next season onward as these were severely affected by Anthracnose.
- AJ

Mangorilla the Uslurper

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2015, 12:20:53 PM »
Thanks for the mangos AJ. I can now identify Kent! The South East Asian shaped ones you gave me were really different and good. I wonder what variety that is?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk