Author Topic: Jakfruit from seed - I think I just got lucky  (Read 5503 times)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Jakfruit from seed - I think I just got lucky
« on: August 07, 2015, 10:03:28 PM »
February of 2013, I took a trip to Robert is Here and paid a lot of money for a 25 pound jakfruit. As the name states, Robert was here, and I asked him if he had a clue what variety the jakfruit might be.  He asked one of the workers in the back area but the most definitive answer they were able to give was a shrug of the shoulders.  I waited a few days for it to ripen and based on the long pointed bulbs, flesh color, time of year, and flavor guessed it to be a J-31. 

I decided to plant some of the seeds, thinking that the seedlings might give off season fruit. August 21, 2013, I planted 5 of the seedings in a line next to a fence, 6 feet apart.  The trees all grew differently, some are dense and some sparse, some compact and some are reaching for the sky.  All the trees flowered heavily this year, but all appeared to be male flowers.  The first in the line, a dense, medium height tree, actually put out a female. 

On Wednesday, I took a look at the fruit. I squeezed it and it was rock hard. I gave it a tap and the sound it made was a sharp ping.  It sounded like an over-inflated red rubber ball, the kind used for playing dodge ball. Today, my mom visits the house and she inquires about the jakfruit and she touches it and it was soft! In two days it goes from not being close to ripe to ready for eating.

The fruit weighted 10 pounds.  I cut it in half and was shocked to see orange bulbs.  The flesh was crisp, sweet, with a tiny bit of acidity.  The flavor reminds me of a little bit of the red LifeSavers candy, but I haven't had one in 30 years so I may be delusional.

Oddly, while eating half the fruit, I only encountered one normal seed.  All the others were aborts, smaller than a pea. When seeds are aborted in jakfruits, the bulb flesh does not fully develop.  I had very little rain the last few months, which may have been a factor with all the aborted seeds and thin flesh of the bulbs. 

It will be interesting to see what happens next year!

Brandon

SamiC

• Bel Air, CA 10b Elevation 1285ft
    • View Profile
Re: Jakfruit from seed - I think I just got lucky
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 10:08:12 PM »
You got fruit in 2 years? I feel like I didn't read that right.
Always looking for Mango budwood!!

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 10:14:55 PM »
Yup, jakfruit seedlings can produce in a hurry.  I have plenty of other seedlings, some a year older, that only produced male flowers.
Brandon

SamiC

• Bel Air, CA 10b Elevation 1285ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 10:19:53 PM »
Awesome, I would love to get my hands on some seeds.
Always looking for Mango budwood!!

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 10:27:04 PM »
Brandon, what about latex? From the pix, there seems to be just some in the middle of the fruit. If the taste is good, this could be a winner.
Thera

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 10:41:50 PM »
Latex was not too bad. After eating a quarter of the fruit, I had to wash my hands to stop pieces of rag from sticking to my fingers. Crisp fleshed jaks seem to be more prone to latex.
Brandon

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 10:45:04 PM »
Awesome!!

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 07:37:50 AM »
Wow, that is fantastic.

I have planted three jakfruit varieties bought from nurseries in last two years and they haven't been very enthusiastic about growing, to say the least. So few weeks back, I planted seeds from one fruit I got, along the fence line as you did. Most of them have sprouted and have two leaves now. Now based on your report, I am more excited about the prospects of those.
- AJ

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 09:24:53 AM »
congrats! hopefully next year they will form bigger carpels for you. looks tasty though

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 09:48:15 AM »
This is interesting. Maybe you'll be propagating your own tree to people on the forum in the future ... then you'll go to the nursery one day, and you'll look at a jackfruit and see your name on the tag.  :D

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 03:25:13 PM »
Looks great!  Congrats.   Cant wait to see how it does next year.

The seedling I planted from ROH about 5 years ago ripened up yesterday.  It was awful.  I floated it off to sea - Maybe the turtles will like it.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 10:11:51 PM »
Disappointing! Chainsaw time and maybe the bls and gold nugget will get some more sun.

The seedling I planted from ROH about 5 years ago ripened up yesterday.  It was awful.  I floated it off to sea - Maybe the turtles will like it.

I will try to graft some this year and plant them out in other locations. Certainly, it is way too early to say if this tree will pan out.

This is interesting. Maybe you'll be propagating your own tree to people on the forum in the future ... then you'll go to the nursery one day, and you'll look at a jackfruit and see your name on the tag.  :D

The few fully developed bulbs were pretty incredible. Gives new meaning to jakking off!

congrats! hopefully next year they will form bigger carpels for you. looks tasty though

Good luck! I really cannot say yet if I just got really lucky or if a good percentage of seedlings will produce good fruit. The fruit is drastically different from the parent, yellow fleshed with a different flavor profile.
Wow, that is fantastic.

I have planted three jakfruit varieties bought from nurseries in last two years and they haven't been very enthusiastic about growing, to say the least. So few weeks back, I planted seeds from one fruit I got, along the fence line as you did. Most of them have sprouted and have two leaves now. Now based on your report, I am more excited about the prospects of those.
Brandon

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 10:18:53 PM »
Good luck! I really cannot say yet if I just got really lucky or if a good percentage of seedlings will produce good fruit. The fruit is drastically different from the parent, yellow fleshed with a different flavor profile.
Wow, that is fantastic.

Yes, I realize that. My original intention was to graft onto the seedlings from the seeds planted directly in ground suspecting tap root/root bound issues with the slow/no growth of my previous grafted ones. Now I may leave some of those alone to grow on their own to see how they turn up.
- AJ

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 02:03:54 PM »
i had 5 seeds about a year and 1/2 ago
they all germinated, and i didnt have room for them, so, i planted one in the ground for kicks and giigles.
we had a pretty hard freeze (26-28) in Feb, and it lost all leaves,
the top stem snapped off, and i figured it was toast..
it came  back from a 3 inch stump and has 8 leaves on it now.

I kept one other, and its about 3ft tall,, and very healthy looking
in a tall container.
i am hoping to put it in the ground in the spring, next summer it should grow enough
to give it some protection from the cold winters.

I am really stoked to hear i could get fruit, even in the next 3 year is cool.
i was expecting another 4-5 at least

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 09:21:25 PM »
Here are some updated pictures of my seedling jak.  Fruiting has ramped up nicely this year.  So far, the tree has 7 fruit.  The tree is still relatively small at 12 ft tall and about 6 ft wide.  It put out a really long flower spike and has a jak forming at the outer edge of the canopy, doing its best breadfruit imitation. 

Here is a side interior view of the extra long flower spike.  The fork from the same spike pointing down has since fruited as well.

This is the first jak the tree put out this year, already around 8 inches.   

More fruit

Brandon

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 09:58:08 PM »
Nice!!! What kind of soil and fertilizer do you use?

I have one planted from seed around the same time as yours and is 8 feet tall but still hasn't fruited.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 10:18:00 PM »
Awesome
Shane

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 06:47:47 AM »
Amazing.  Really cool how the fruit are in unconventional locations, early, and plentiful. 

You hit the Jackpot ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk