Author Topic: Do most people eat Fuyu persimmons  (Read 7919 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Do most people eat Fuyu persimmons
« on: November 24, 2015, 10:41:19 AM »
with the skin or without? Any adverse side effects from the skin?
Thanks,

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Do most people eat Fuyu persimmons
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 10:44:16 AM »
Thanks,
Hi! I allways eat my persimmons with skin...  :P

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 10:53:30 AM »
Shriveled and soft with skin

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:16:12 AM »
Thanks,

I got some California grown Fuyu persimmons from Costco yesterday for the very first time. I ate it crunchy as per the instructions on the box. Tried the first one with skin and one after peeling the skin. Though the skin had no objectionable taste, due to the texture difference, I prefer it without skin. Though they were just plain sweet with no complex flavors, I liked them and will buy more as there isn't much else available at this time of the year.
- AJ

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 11:17:21 AM »
Shriveled and soft with skin

Thanks for the idea, I will let one shrivel and turn soft to see how it tastes and feels then.
- AJ

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 11:40:39 AM »
Usually with the skin, though I agree with others that the skin's texture can be a be off-putting.

By the way, the Izu cultivar (Fuyu type) is a juicier and more flavorful fruit than Fuyu.  I'm also a fan of Mikitani Gosho, but it's a pollination variant type which makes things a bit complicated.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 02:47:09 PM »
Fuyu tends to be more on the bland/milder side.  I dont eat the skin if I can avoide it.  A ripe astringent persimmon is a far better fruit...and yes, if left to shrivel/made into Hoshigaki the skin is not even noticable.
- Rob

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 03:18:38 PM »
    I always eat my fuyu persimmons crunchy. Whereas the hachiya needs to be soft / mushy to not be astringent. These are absolutely delicious in cookies and breads . The variety " chocolate " is said to be eaten either crunchy or soft. I have a very young tree of chocolate that has not fruited yet. A friend of mine just brought me a tree of Imoto or something like that and he said that it can be eat soft or crunchy.

William

Treees

• Palm Beach County, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 09:51:23 PM »
Another proof that tastes differ.

I love crunchy non-astringent types with skin, have eaten crunchy and juicy persimmons far tastier than Fuyu in childhood, and lots of it.  Skin adds to texture and taste in my view.  Same with apples.

Soft ripened astringent types do not come close in my view.  Where I come from, they usually sundry soft astringent types into delicious and super sweet snack.

pitbull-rus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 11:52:57 PM »
First I've heard that persimmons and apples without the skin.It most vitamins.It may not be harmful.

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 08:20:38 AM »
Ate my first home grown Fuyu last night. Picked it about two weeks ago and left it it on the counter waiting for it to tun soft as an indication of readiness to eat. However the fruit remained firm. Finally I cut into it and was pleasantly surprised by its delightful full sweetness (wow!). I tried some of the skin and didn't find it objectionable, it added a bit of crunch to the experience. When is the best time to pick fruit? How do you tell when they are optimally ready to eat? There are more on the tree.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 09:00:45 AM »
I love persimmons. I eat Fuyu's and other non-astringent persimmons skin and all. I really like them this way. Super crunchy, sweet and delicious. Even the non-astringents tend to get just a little soft when they are ripe (but I find them to be over-ripe / past their prime like this). Of course the flavor level of an astringent persimmon is just superior. Very soft (of course) when fully ripened. But rich and complex. But obviously a different textural experience from non-astringent.

But me and my daughter love to crunch on Fuyus (skin and all) when they are in season.
- Mark

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 10:53:29 AM »
I always eat the skin.
The Fuyus I've had were boring. I also don't really like many firm fruits outside of apples. Fuyus were just sweet with no flavor, and I don't like the firm texture.

Give me a wrinkly, soft, wild virginiana any day....so complex, like pumpkin pie.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 11:29:39 AM »
I always eat the skin.
The Fuyus I've had were boring. I also don't really like many firm fruits outside of apples. Fuyus were just sweet with no flavor, and I don't like the firm texture.

Give me a wrinkly, soft, wild virginiana any day....so complex, like pumpkin pie.

We just had our persimmon tasting in UCI. I wasn't able to attend this year but I've had the wild Virginia which was in the middle of the pack. There are many types of fuyu's and not all of them are bland. Here is a video of Wilson nursery with the persimmon curator our very own Isabel OC CRFG. You can also do a forum search on persimmon tasting I've posted many pix.

http://www.davewilson.com/community-and-resources/videos/uc-irvine-persimmon-collection

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 11:34:08 AM »

It's weird. Both my daughter and I can detect the slightly cinnamon , slightly spicy, slight honey flavor profile of persimmons (including Fuyu, even though it is more subtle in Fuyu). We both love persimmons because of that. But my wife cannot detect these flavors at all. She also says they are sweet with no other flavor.

It's just one of those kinds of fruits I guess :)
- Mark

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 11:35:41 AM »
I always eat the skin.

We just had our persimmon tasting in UCI. I wasn't able to attend this year but I've had the wild Virginia which was in the middle of the pack. There are many types of fuyu's and not all of them are bland. Here is a video of Wilson nursery with the persimmon curator our very own Isabel OC CRFG. You can also do a forum search on persimmon tasting I've posted many pix.

http://www.davewilson.com/community-and-resources/videos/uc-irvine-persimmon-collection

I truly believe location they are grown plays a role in quality to some degree.  I would still prefer the astringent type but i understand some who have concerns with the texture however when I lived in Gainesville there were commercial persiimmon groves nearby.  They grew Fuyu and they were pretty good, better than the Fuyu i have tasted grown in South Florida
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 11:42:01 AM »
I always eat the skin.

I truly believe location they are grown plays a role in quality to some degree.  I would still prefer the astringent type but i understand some who have concerns with the texture however when I lived in Gainesville there were commercial persiimmon groves nearby.  They grew Fuyu and they were pretty good, better than the Fuyu i have tasted grown in South Florida
Rob
Absolutely so do I astringent all away but my point was there are non astringent which are delicious

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 11:46:05 AM »
JF - point well taken. I can't claim to be well-versed in commercial persimmons....i've only had a few and of course they were shipped hundreds of miles to the grocery store.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 04:37:00 PM »
What about the tannin in the skin? It's not as much as jaboticaba probably, but there's some there and probably not good for you in large quantities.

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 05:01:26 PM »
What about the tannin in the skin? It's not as much as jaboticaba probably, but there's some there and probably not good for you in large quantities.

I thought that tannins are generally very good for you (antioxidants, anti-bacterial, etc.). It is true that anything in large quantities is bad for you. But are you bringing up tannins because you think they should be avoided?
- Mark

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 05:07:53 PM »
That's something being cited by some Chinese source on why not to eat the skin. Not sure if there's any merits to that view. I personally never tried to eat the skin before. It has a harder texture than the flesh.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 07:18:29 PM »
i tend to peel them because the ones i buy aren't organic and who knows what kinda stuff they are spraying on them, i sometimes eat about a half dozen or more of them in a day so i don't want to have high levels of pesticides or fungicides in me if i can avoid it  :D

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 11:49:22 AM »
With skin for me. I normally buy about 70 - 80 pounds worth from California each year. They are absolutely marvelous. The only problem I have is that they can be so sweet that I can get a sugar headache if I eat too many (which is easy to do).

The fuyu can be eaten in the soft state too, and they are quite good like that. My favorite way to eat soft persimmons is to freeze them for several hours first.
Jeff  :-)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 01:02:33 PM »
i tend to peel them because the ones i buy aren't organic and who knows what kinda stuff they are spraying on them, i sometimes eat about a half dozen or more of them in a day so i don't want to have high levels of pesticides or fungicides in me if i can avoid it  :D

This is the reason for my question. When in season, I eat at least 5 Fuyu-type a day, and a few more ripe, astringent. So whatever pesticides that  are  on the skin should be avoided. I usually remove the skin. The only times I eat them with skin is when I'm lazy (which is most of the  time), or if  they're organic.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 12:40:05 AM »
Does anyone freeze the astringent type? It loses a lot of the astringency by freezing. For me, it's still unpleasant enough, so I will let them soften with an apple. I eat the fuyu softened too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk