Author Topic: Kent mango - it looked ripe...  (Read 4005 times)

floridays

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
Kent mango - it looked ripe...
« on: August 08, 2016, 10:00:14 PM »
Picked up some Kents at SAMS club, 8 for about 6 bucks. Nice color and one had a bit of give to it so I cut it up.

Ugh, like a sour lemon. Obviously it was not ripe but it sure appeared to be.

Kent experts, when is a Kent ripe? Should it smell fruity like other mangoes?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Kent mango - it looked ripe...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:05:53 AM »
I just tried some Kent mangoes from the grocery store for the first time.   I bought three, all were almost all green still with a slight give to the touch.  They were *excellent*.  Perhaps the firmest one could have used another day or two to ripen, but I think soft wrinkly mangos like some consider ideal ripe are way past it for me.

floridays

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 07:41:11 PM »
Yeah, I've really never bought mangoes from a store other than Altufo's. The one I cut must have been not quite ready yet.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 04:09:16 AM »
Today I drove past a street vendor,  wife says stop look at the nice looking mangoes,  they were large and green, I figured they were keitts,  which is probably the most readily available down here.   

I told my wife to leave me one in the bag she thought was ripe, and on my way to work later, I could smell the nice mango aroma.  I said to myself, this cannot be a Keitt.
it was only slightly yellow on one part, rest was all green.  cut it open, and it was ripe,  after tasting I realized for sure it was a Kent.

anyway, yes they can be all green and ripe,  slight give and aroma, should tell you when they are ready.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 10:24:56 AM »
You cant expect much from. Kent, or any other variety of mango, from a grocery store.   Its just not gonna be that good.  Much better investment to order some from a grower who can ship to you.
- Rob

floridays

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »
You cant expect much from. Kent, or any other variety of mango, from a grocery store

I'm starting to believe this. 

I had a good crop of Glenn's, Cogshalls, VP's, NDM's and Keitts from the yard this year but I've run out! I happened to see these at the store and was hopeful... ;)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 12:27:43 PM »
The kents I bought were from an Indian grocery store and were excellent.  I've gotten great ataulfos from various grocery stores also but they aren't consistent.

floridays

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 05:38:00 PM »
The kents I bought were from an Indian grocery store and were excellent.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I got home from work and took a sniff on one and I'm smelling some fruitiness. As long as they dont' get all jelly seed on me. ;D

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 06:55:20 PM »

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I got home from work and took a sniff on one and I'm smelling some fruitiness. As long as they dont' get all jelly seed on me. ;D

Nothing like a boiled, underripe Kent.  Lol
- Rob

floridays

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 08:12:31 PM »
Hahahaha!

I was wondering what method was used on these mangoes, irradiation or boiling cauldron... ;D

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 10:14:39 PM »
Nothing like a boiled, underripe Kent.  Lol

Backyard Kents rate! Come on this is true. Those boiled Kents are from Peru or similar. They have it down to a science how to induce some red-yellow coloration on the under ripes. And dopey US buyers going just by coloration will scoop them up.

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 11:34:21 PM »
U have to feel the mangos.  Once its soft it will be ready to eat.  Store bought Kent and keitt are notorious for not changing color when ripe.
Robert

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »

Today I drove past a street vendor,  wife says stop look at the nice looking mangoes,  they were large and green, I figured they were keitts,  which is probably the most readily available down here.   

I told my wife to leave me one in the bag she thought was ripe, and on my way to work later, I could smell the nice mango aroma.  I said to myself, this cannot be a Keitt.
it was only slightly yellow on one part, rest was all green.  cut it open, and it was ripe,  after tasting I realized for sure it was a Kent.

anyway, yes they can be all green and ripe,  slight give and aroma, should tell you when they are ready.
U have to feel the mangos.  Once its soft it will be ready to eat.  Store bought Kent and keitt are notorious for not changing color when ripe.

I had 2 kents from my yard. The 1st one was eaten when just a little yellow mixed with the green and still firm and it was outstanding with a orange type favor mixed with the mango sweetness and no jelly seed. One of the best mangos I've had this year.
I then tried the other 2 days later letting it ripen in room temperature and making it a little softer. It tasted like a different mango with beginning jelly seed and a much inferior taste.

I think I'll try my next one like the first was at a firmer stage without the soft areas and just a little  natural tinge of yellow.

Hopefully you will get a good one at the store. It's possible but of course handling and time will decrease odds of success. But, I'm at only 1 of 2 = 50% success so far at home. 

This is my first year to pick Kents from my tree. I see Tropicdude said, "it was only slightly yellow on one part, rest was all green.  cut it open, and it was ripe,  after tasting I realized for sure it was a Kent" so it looks like for he and I when it is firm and mostly green with a hint of yellow it is probably ripe and at the preferred ripeness for my taste imo. Any other opinions on trying to let it ripen more or do most eat it firm to prevent the chance of getting jelly seed and taste deterioration etc.? While typing I notice rliou apparently goes softer. Rliou, do you get jelly seed at this softer stage at your location?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:39:09 PM by palmcity »

floridays

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 09:25:33 AM »
Just an update from my experience with Kent's from Sams's club. 4 out of the eight were good - smooth and tasted great with a good balance, but the other 4 were funky.

It's the gamble one must take when their personal crop runs out in the summer... ;D

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 10:10:37 AM »
Bought a 25 lbs box of Keitts for $10!!! Some are ripening slooowly...Got some Kents also but much more expensive, but they were ready and delicious  :)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »
Look at all the tears running from thise boxes.   ;) :(
- Rob

floridays

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 11:05:42 AM »
Now that's a DEAL!

...and that's how mangoes should look. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk