Author Topic: December Keitt Mango in Los Angeles?  (Read 2393 times)

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
December Keitt Mango in Los Angeles?
« on: December 16, 2016, 07:34:52 PM »
I bought this Keitt tree from Plant-o-Gram 2.5 years ago, and it's done a lot of nothing since then, partially due to my own neglect. So I've been ignoring it for months, and a few days ago I stumbled up on this:

Whoa! I wasn't expecting fruit for another year, at least, and certainly nothing this size (I have big hands). Had I seen this earlier I'd have plucked it off, but now that it's this size I feel like I should just let it ripen.

Or will it? It's in the high 60s/low 70s here in our Los Angeles December. January might get slightly colder, but not by too much.

How does one determine when to pick a Keitt?

If this tree will produce Keitts of this size, then I'm going to stop neglecting it (e.g. clear out the weeds, support it better, kill the gophers, etc)!
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
Re: December Keitt Mango in Los Angeles?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 08:30:48 PM »
My neighbor has a 30 year old Keitt and picks them when they start to get yellow. We had them into late October. It was a banner year on the island.

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 11:57:36 PM »
Keitts can be picked mature green and sit on the counter to ripen (when soft it's ready to eat).  However, you can also opt to tree ripen it.  It's not uncommon for keitt to mature in Dec/Jan in southern cal
Robert

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »

My neighbor has a 30 year old Keitt and picks them when they start to get yellow. We had them into late October. It was a banner year on the island.

Keitts can be picked mature green and sit on the counter to ripen (when soft it's ready to eat).  However, you can also opt to tree ripen it.  It's not uncommon for keitt to mature in Dec/Jan in southern cal

Interesting. So at the first blush of new color, I can pick and counter-ripen? I'm assuming that what I see now (dark green with purple tones) is very immature, correct?

Is there anything else I can do to help this tree, now and in the future? I have a 3' poultry fence barrier around it right now to keep the peafowl away; should I wrap that in plastic to trap warmth?

Or should I just leave it?

This is my first mango tree :D
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 03:48:09 PM »
If it has been 2,5 years in the ground without any care and cold did not do anything to it so far, i don't see why you should wrap it with plastic now.
Can you post a pic of the whole tree?

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 04:09:30 PM »
Thanks! Here was the tree after years of horrible neglect. You know you're doing poorly when the weeds stand taller than your tree  :'( :

I gave it a few minutes of TLC, and now it looks much better.I tapped the T-post in very carefully, and watched the tree to make sure I wasn't cutting through any major roots There's a soda can at the base, for scale:

And here's the current status of the fruit:

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 05:09:13 PM »
That's a big mango on a little tree. My understanding is that flavor will not be of the quality you would want due to the tree's age and of coarse the tree is using all of it's energy to make that thing. It doesn't look ready to pick to me but I think it's too late to worry about what that's doing to the tree.

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 08:15:31 PM »
HI, I live in Houston with what looks like similar temps in La to where I live.  Maybe we get colder.
It has been slightly warm this winter, but I picked a yellow mango last week and another is turning yellow.
There are 4 or 5 more green mangoes on this 4 ft by 4 ft tree.  I just believe they will all get yellow due
to the full sun.  I know I could pick them green to ripen on the counter, but I do want the best tasting mangoes.
I think we are learning all the time how to take care of all of our fruit.

I am so glad your mango survived.

I have a dirt space of 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 Ft circling my tree with nothing but mulch in it.  I have fed with some
compost and am now expecting the 3 mangoes treea I have to just take off next summer.  Just praying for NO

Carol
FREEZES !!

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 01:44:57 PM »
That's a big mango on a little tree. My understanding is that flavor will not be of the quality you would want due to the tree's age and of coarse the tree is using all of it's energy to make that thing. It doesn't look ready to pick to me but I think it's too late to worry about what that's doing to the tree.

Agreed. I should have picked it off months ago. But now it's here, and I think it's about as big as it's going to get, so at this point it's more about marturing the fruit mass that's there, as opposed to making more of it.

This has me excited primarily because of the potential of the tree. If a sapling can make a mango like this, imagine what a bigger tree could do!

So I wait for a color change . . .

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 02:19:21 PM »
I'm assuming that what I see now (dark green with purple tones) is very immature, correct?

Are most Keitt fruits purple in their immature stage? I have been looking at Keitt photos on the internet all morning, and all I see it green, green, green. No purple at all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk