Author Topic: Passionfruit - P. edulis 'McCain' (Logee's) not growing  (Read 1840 times)

Passionlily

• CA, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Passionfruit - P. edulis 'McCain' (Logee's) not growing
« on: June 14, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »
Hi All,
About 10 days ago I received a small cutting of Passiflora edulis 'McCain' from Logee's greenhouse. It arrived with about 5 leaves, the lower two very long (5 inches) with one lobe and the next three towards the top getting progressively lighter green, with the middle two leaves small, 3-lobed, buckled and curled up at the edges and the top-most leaf in a distorted three lobe shape but very pale green and somewhat buckled. The stems, veins and apical tip are red/purple-ish. I waited a few days with the plant in diffuse light and then repotted into a 2.5 q container with coconut coir-perlite-vermiculite-compost/manure mix and a small amount of Jobe's citrus fertilizer mixed into the soil. Over the next days I slowly moved into more and more sun light and is now in full sun.
10 days after repotting the plant seems to be in suspended animation, with almost no change in comparison with when it arrived except that the uppermost leaf seems even more mottled (yellow in leaf margins, slightly darker green near veins). I also received a cutting of P. edulis possum purple that was all green with normal flat leaves, and repotted him at the same time. He is also very slow to show signs of growth. Does anyone know how I could jump start these cuttings' growth? I complained to Logee's that the McCain cutting looked nutrient deficient or possibly viral but they said that leaves lighten during transportation and 'if it fails to thrive in 60 days we will replace it'... thanks a lot. After the summer is over and the heat is gone they will send me a tiny new cutting.
Does anyone know what could be wrong with my little P. edulis 'McCain'?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Passionfruit - P. edulis 'McCain' (Logee's) not growing
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »
Patience. It will take some time and 10 days starting with a rough handled 2.5" plug isn't enough to know.

Siyu98

• Italy, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 03:48:51 PM »
Passion fruit roots at the beginning have a lackluster growth: for the first two months expect the plant growing slow. When roots are more developed, your plant will grow faster and faster

Passionlily

• CA, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 05:45:47 PM »
Ok thank you both for the advice. Any thoughts on a possible nutrient deficiency? I sprayed some ferrous sulfate on the topmost pale green leaf yesterday as a test... the three top leaves showing crinkling/buckling also have some necrotic spots and translucent/brittle areas so I am guessing a combination of calcium and possibly iron, zinc or sulfur deficiency. I will water the next time with some compost tea and hopefully that will help correct any micronutrient problems.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 09:19:29 PM »
Don't spray it with anything except maybe water. Since it has recently been repotted, do not fertilize for a month or more while the roots are growing. Then hit it with something light, like worm casings. Keep it in a shaded spot with dappled light.you might be making it worse by doing too much.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 02:10:12 AM »
Ok thank you both for the advice. Any thoughts on a possible nutrient deficiency? I sprayed some ferrous sulfate on the topmost pale green leaf yesterday as a test... the three top leaves showing crinkling/buckling also have some necrotic spots and translucent/brittle areas so I am guessing a combination of calcium and possibly iron, zinc or sulfur deficiency. I will water the next time with some compost tea and hopefully that will help correct any micronutrient problems.

Try not to kill you vine with kindness, overt treating can be just as bad as neglect.

Passionlily

• CA, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 09:28:55 AM »
Hahaha ok got it. I'll give them less light and more neglect ;) thanks all for the input!

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 09:41:48 PM »
If it looks the same in 2 years, I'd get worried.
Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk