Author Topic: Any hormone product i.e. ethylene available for use on a few pineapple plants?  (Read 2522 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Had a big crop of pineapples last year.  This year only one small one with some clones like Cayenne being at least 3 years old and quite large and never fruiting.  Twistees fruit quite well and on their own.  Would rather use a spray than an apple piece to induce fruit.

Thanks

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Calcium carbide + water produces acetylene gas which forces pineapples.

I asked the same question in another pineapple thread and purchased a bottle online. Forced mine last week but it takes a few weeks for the flower to develop.

I tried apple cores for ethylene but it didn't work for me. Rodents stole the apple even after the pineapple leaves were tied together. They chewed through the leaves.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
I use calcium carbide that I bought on eBay. I add a few pieces in some water and pour it into the pineapple at night. Works nearly 100% of the time.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
We can by 'Ethrel' which is for flower induction on pineapples or for help in ripening different fruits.  Barring that I have used carbide.  In a 1liter bottle with water I put perhaps 50grams and let it bubble away.  The gas that comes off that event is flammable.  The remaining solution can be diluted about 10-1.  Pour a couple to three tablespoons into the leaf axils of each pine that is fully developed.
Peter

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
Thanks for the info.  That "free" pineapple can now run big bucks when you figure in a PGR.  Found a pound of carbide for $17 plus postage.

Here's a cool article - http://homeguides.sfgate.com/information-calcium-carbide-pineapple-plants-61911.html

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Since it is the acetylene generated by carbide + water which does the work, a small acetylene cutting torch gas bottle might work. Maybe use a trash bag over the plant & fill it, acetylene is lighter than air. There could be a small explosion danger, but do the work away from spark or flame and should not be more dangerous than gasoline DO NOT USE OXYGEN IN CONJUNCTION WITH ACETYLENE! (makes a very nice boom when the trash bag explodes-been there done that) I have a small cylinder which I got refilled for soldering. You may know someone with such a rig you could borrow for a test.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
Since it is the acetylene generated by carbide + water which does the work, a small acetylene cutting torch gas bottle might work. Maybe use a trash bag over the plant & fill it, acetylene is lighter than air. There could be a small explosion danger, but do the work away from spark or flame and should not be more dangerous than gasoline DO NOT USE OXYGEN IN CONJUNCTION WITH ACETYLENE! (makes a very nice boom when the trash bag explodes-been there done that) I have a small cylinder which I got refilled for soldering. You may know someone with such a rig you could borrow for a test.

Well, never cared for my old man bushy eyebrows so why not! ;D

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Which do you folks recommend?
1. putting the calcium carbide into the center and then add water
2. putting the calcium carbide in water and then water the solution into the pineapple plant

I do #1 but I see Finca La Isla and a few other pages do #2.

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
The reaction with calcium carbide is exophilic so it could create a lot heat if applied directly.
Robert

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
I think I read somewhere that you could turn your pots on their sides and they will flower.  I think that happen to one of mine when the pot fell over and I never turned it back upright.

Van

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
DO NOT USE OXYGEN IN CONJUNCTION WITH ACETYLENE! (makes a very nice boom when the trash bag explodes-been there done that)
The plastic trash bag thing carries a high risk of static electricity detonation. You could be deaf for life, don't try it.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
Just harvested this "personal" pineapple (smaller than usual).  It has a very strong smell of cinnamon, never smelled anything so exotic and rich.  Plant was not the healthiest but finally gave it up.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Nice little beauty there and personal size. Please let us know how it tastes. It would be great if you can get s Brix reading as well. I'm trying to figure out average Brix of Tropical Gold varieties vs Extra sweet varieties like MD2.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
Nice little beauty there and personal size. Please let us know how it tastes. It would be great if you can get s Brix reading as well. I'm trying to figure out average Brix of Tropical Gold varieties vs Extra sweet varieties like MD2.

Simon

Taste is delish, rich and very juicy.  Brix is 15* at the core, 14.5* elsewhere.  It's keeper!