Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183094 times)

Pnguyen

• USA, CA, Orange, 10a & 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #725 on: March 12, 2020, 01:30:29 PM »
I am new to the forum and avocado.  I have been reading this threads every nights but only got to page. 10.  I am intending to finish them all to pickup all I could from your experience.  I recently bought a Holiday  in 3 gallons, a Reed in red sleeve and a Carmen in black sleeve from Laguna Hills Nursery. My wife and daughter love cado and mango.   They could have them every day if they could.   I like to have a happy family so I decided to plant our own.  However, I got over excited and over bought.

I now have a dilemma-my back yard is too small for all 3 avocado in the ground along with 3 mango and a atemoya.  Some plants have to go in the future if they don't do well.  I am thinking of grafting of more cultivars to the best plant in the future for more varieties.  Most likely I have to do the same for the mango.

Which of the 2 avocado should I transplant to the ground and which one should be in the pot? I have a Holiday, a Reed and a Carmen.  Which one have the best chance for success in a small garden in raise bed because of Orange's clay soil.

Thank you in advance for feedback.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #726 on: March 12, 2020, 01:52:14 PM »
Still waiting to try a Sharwil from Brad's tree.  I got one last saturday. 

Has anyone try a Gillogly avocado yet?  Gary Matsuoka from Laguna Hills Nursery said it's the best avocado he has so far.

There are so many bad reviews of Gillogly online. I have access to a tree here and the patent has expired. I may try to graft a piece here but I am not sure it's worth it. I wonder if it is great or they have a glut of trees to move. Another thing to consider is that many people are terrible at growing avocado since they are relatively heavy feeders and need excellent drainage. Maybe it is wonderful in the right setting.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:54:58 PM by Vernmented »
-Josh

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 12, 2020, 03:40:04 PM »
I would use high density planting concept and plant all three.  They may produce less in the future if you plant them close together but you have 3 different varieties year round.  If you want to pick one to plant in a container, according to the link below, "holiday can be grown in container".

https://yamagamis.com/newguides/FruitGuides/AvocadoGuide.pdf

I am new to the forum and avocado.  I have been reading this threads every nights but only got to page. 10.  I am intending to finish them all to pickup all I could from your experience.  I recently bought a Holiday  in 3 gallons, a Reed in red sleeve and a Carmen in black sleeve from Laguna Hills Nursery. My wife and daughter love cado and mango.   They could have them every day if they could.   I like to have a happy family so I decided to plant our own.  However, I got over excited and over bought.

I now have a dilemma-my back yard is too small for all 3 avocado in the ground along with 3 mango and a atemoya.  Some plants have to go in the future if they don't do well.  I am thinking of grafting of more cultivars to the best plant in the future for more varieties.  Most likely I have to do the same for the mango.

Which of the 2 avocado should I transplant to the ground and which one should be in the pot? I have a Holiday, a Reed and a Carmen.  Which one have the best chance for success in a small garden in raise bed because of Orange's clay soil.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 03:45:29 PM by jtnguyen333 »

Pnguyen

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 12, 2020, 04:01:34 PM »
High density is an excellent idea that I have not thought of.  If they are productive, most likely we may be able to consume them all.  Less fruit production is not a bad idea. Do you have suggestion for minimum distance between trees?

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 12, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »
I have them at 6 feet apart in my backyard. 

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 12, 2020, 06:15:02 PM »

Has anyone try a Gillogly avocado yet?  Gary Matsuoka from Laguna Hills Nursery said it's the best avocado he has so far.

There are so many bad reviews of Gillogly online. I have access to a tree here and the patent has expired. I may try to graft a piece here but I am not sure it's worth it. I wonder if it is great or they have a glut of trees to move. Another thing to consider is that many people are terrible at growing avocado since they are relatively heavy feeders and need excellent drainage. Maybe it is wonderful in the right setting.
I have a branch graft of Don Gillogly and it has fruited for me now two year's in a row the fruit necked a little like pic in other thread but very tasty fruit and creamy supposed sport off of Hass orchard  I believe. 

Pnguyen

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 12, 2020, 07:02:28 PM »
My recently purchased Holiday in 3 gallons and Carmen in black 2 ft high sleeve are flowering.  Should I leave them alone or cut the flowers off?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 14, 2020, 08:40:30 AM »
There are so many bad reviews of Gillogly online. I have access to a tree here and the patent has expired. I may try to graft a piece here but I am not sure it's worth it.

Folks here love it, says it's rich.  It produces a large fruit with a long neck.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/160547928066846/

I grew it in Corpus Christi which has a clime similar to yours, raised bed over black clay gumbo.  Did real well, fruited early, moved away when it was a 2-3 year old tree.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 14, 2020, 08:42:09 AM »
My recently purchased Holiday in 3 gallons and Carmen in black 2 ft high sleeve are flowering.  Should I leave them alone or cut the flowers off?

Yes, drop them or the little fruits that set.  Now is the time to concentrate on root development.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 15, 2020, 09:16:28 AM »

The Holiday will do fine in a 1/2 wine barrel or similar size container and I would plant the other two in the ground as they will be your more productive trees.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #735 on: March 15, 2020, 11:41:16 AM »

I have a branch graft of Don Gillogly and it has fruited for me now two year's in a row the fruit necked a little like pic in other thread but very tasty fruit and creamy supposed sport off of Hass orchard  I believe. 
There are so many bad reviews of Gillogly online. I have access to a tree here and the patent has expired. I may try to graft a piece here but I am not sure it's worth it.

Folks here love it, says it's rich.  It produces a large fruit with a long neck.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/160547928066846/

I grew it in Corpus Christi which has a clime similar to yours, raised bed over black clay gumbo.  Did real well, fruited early, moved away when it was a 2-3 year old tree.

Thanks guys, good to know! I'm going to grab some budwood next time I am out.
-Josh

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 15, 2020, 12:16:20 PM »
Gillogoly is top 5 Aguacate for me.
They sell them at the farmers market .
I would love to find some scion.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 15, 2020, 04:28:36 PM »
Does anyone know if laurel wilt is carried in scionwood?  Im tempted to get some wood from FL but dont want new disease here in CA.
Brad Spaugh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 15, 2020, 04:39:30 PM »
Does anyone know if laurel wilt is carried in scionwood?  Im tempted to get some wood from FL but dont want new disease here in CA.

It kills the tree so fast I feel like it would be very difficult to to spread that way. If for some reason it could be spread through grafting your tree would die and then it would have to be eaten by beetles which get infected with the fungus. I'm no expert but it seems like a long shot. 
-Josh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 15, 2020, 07:23:43 PM »
Thanks Josh, I need some scions then...   8)

You get some nice takes on your stuff?  My grafts all took here thrn we got a rain and cloud spell thats slowing everything down.  Hopefully it warms back up and the grafts keep pushing.

Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 16, 2020, 10:23:48 AM »

Don't risk it.  I talked to Carlos down in Homestead a month ago and he told me it's so widespread that he feels Florida's avocado industry is history.  He's  working with the university gurus on the problem so he's in on it all.

Curious, just WHAT variety can you not live without?

You're just like I was with the orchid biz - I just had to kiss all the pretty ladies.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:26:47 AM by Mark in Texas »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 16, 2020, 03:22:40 PM »

Don't risk it.  I talked to Carlos down in Homestead a month ago and he told me it's so widespread that he feels Florida's avocado industry is history.  He's  working with the university gurus on the problem so he's in on it all.

You're just like I was with the orchid biz - I just had to kiss all the pretty ladies.

Ill send you a PM, if I post it here there will be a buying frenzy like its toilet paper...
Brad Spaugh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 17, 2020, 10:19:56 PM »
Thanks Josh, I need some scions then...   8)

You get some nice takes on your stuff?  My grafts all took here thrn we got a rain and cloud spell thats slowing everything down.  Hopefully it warms back up and the grafts keep pushing.

They are looking good so far. Seems like most are starting to push.  ;D
-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 17, 2020, 10:23:57 PM »

It is around but most of it is down there on the other coast. Younger and properly pruned and opened up trees are far less likely to get infected. The beetles like overgrown commercial orchards. I haven’t seen any infected trees in person here in Sarasota.
-Josh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 18, 2020, 09:21:01 AM »

Ill send you a PM, if I post it here there will be a buying frenzy like its toilet paper...

;D

You've always been very generous when it comes to sharing your toilet paper.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 22, 2020, 10:42:43 AM »
Does anyone have any variety recommendations for hot and humid south alabama?  I have tried the cold hardy varities but they all seem to get black on the trunk and slowly decline.  What are some great tasting varities that woupd handle the heat and humidity?.  We also would get too cold so I know protection is in order during the winter for a couple nights a year.

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 22, 2020, 03:50:01 PM »
Does anyone have any variety recommendations for hot and humid south alabama?  I have tried the cold hardy varities but they all seem to get black on the trunk and slowly decline.  What are some great tasting varities that woupd handle the heat and humidity?.  We also would get too cold so I know protection is in order during the winter for a couple nights a year.

What are your lows? The main thing is planting in large mounds.
-Josh

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 22, 2020, 08:07:38 PM »

Hey Forum,

Very happy to say after 5 years my oro negro is finally flowering, I’m stoked though noticed much yellowing leaves. Should I be worried, is this normal behavior when flowering? My buddy has an avocado, unknown type but raging flowering and he’s got yellowing leaves too 🤷‍♂️

Joe

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 22, 2020, 08:53:10 PM »

What are your lows? The main thing is planting in large mounds.

It depends on the year.  This winter we got down to 22.  Last winter down to 28, the previous winter down to 16.  I have kept a Barbados cherry tree alive through all of those mentioned winters.  I just want a heat and humidity tolerant avocado as fantastic and other cold hardy types cannot handle the heat and humidity here.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 22, 2020, 08:57:12 PM »

Hey Forum,

Very happy to say after 5 years my oro negro is finally flowering, I’m stoked though noticed much yellowing leaves. Should I be worried, is this normal behavior when flowering? My buddy has an avocado, unknown type but raging flowering and he’s got yellowing leaves too 🤷‍♂️

Joe

Congrats, that's a long time to wait for flowers. 

In CA, the leaves fall off in spring and the tree flushes new leaves.  Probably the same thing you are seeing.  The tree is using the energy to flower.  Now would be a good time to give it a little fertilizer with nitrogen and potassium and micro nutrient including zinc.
Brad Spaugh