Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183015 times)

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #925 on: March 04, 2021, 11:35:57 PM »
Hass have been really good the past couple weeks and I just picked this sir prize the other day, holy cow! I had no idea sir prize got this big, this is the first year our sir prize has produced fruit and we’re super excited to cut this bad boy open in a couple days.  Hass’s on left, sir prize far right.

Nate

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 30, 2021, 07:00:13 PM »
Someone from this forum sent me scions from Hawaii in August of 2018.  Thanks if you are still out there.  One tree set fruit last year and all the others are now flowering.  We just got to try the fujikawas that set last year.  Its very nice looking and good flavor.  These should have a lot of oil in a couple more months.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 07:03:58 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 31, 2021, 12:58:56 PM »
Hope it is a Reed Killer  :)
Someone from this forum sent me scions from Hawaii in August of 2018.  Thanks if you are still out there.  One tree set fruit last year and all the others are now flowering.  We just got to try the fujikawas that set last year.  Its very nice looking and good flavor.  These should have a lot of oil in a couple more months.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 31, 2021, 01:11:12 PM »
I dont think its going to be a reed killer but it does seem to grow better than reed and is earlier.  Not sure on flavor yet but we'll see in a month or 2.  The flavor is a lot stronger than reed.  I need to try one thats got full oil content and then pass judgement.  Seems like it has a lot of potential though. 
Brad Spaugh

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 28, 2021, 12:13:53 PM »
For any Hawaiian out there especially if you live in Maui, do you recognize the location in this video?  I'm tempted to make a visit to  Maui just for this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJhhWu_yzek&t=614s

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: April 28, 2021, 12:36:33 PM »
I saw the video yesterday but it looks like trespassing to me.

yimnvs

• USA, CA, San Leandro, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 29, 2021, 01:27:54 PM »
Hi All,

I have a question. Are flies good as avocado pollinators? I have a Holiday Avocado tree that has been in ground since 2019 and is exploding with flowers this year and there are tons of flies on it everyday. Big flies, small flies, hoover flies...all kinds. Some times I see one or two honey bees on it even after I spray honey water on the flowers. I guess in my area, flies pollinate the majority of avocado trees? I have a picture below of my Holiday. Thanks.

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #932 on: April 29, 2021, 05:00:54 PM »
Three to five year old avocado trees here in Vegas. Trunks have thickened a fair bit and they're all pushing out new growth.

Nothing resembling flowers or fruit yet. My expectations for that are about the same as winning the lottery. Still, they're alive and doing fine.

Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 30, 2021, 11:30:21 AM »
Hi All,

I have a question. Are flies good as avocado pollinators? I have a Holiday Avocado tree that has been in ground since 2019 and is exploding with flowers this year and there are tons of flies on it everyday. Big flies, small flies, hoover flies...all kinds. Some times I see one or two honey bees on it even after I spray honey water on the flowers. I guess in my area, flies pollinate the majority of avocado trees? I have a picture below of my Holiday. Thanks.

Same here, 100's of them. Do they pollinate as well as bees?  Hoo nose.   They loved my Gwen.

yimnvs

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 30, 2021, 11:56:23 AM »
Hi All,

Same here, 100's of them. Do they pollinate as well as bees?  Hoo nose.   They loved my Gwen.

Nice to know. Do you get good fruit sets?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 11:57:54 AM by yimnvs »

yimnvs

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 30, 2021, 12:04:29 PM »
I read Greg A's article about hand pollinating with a brush in the afternoon time when there is a period of female and male flower overlapping. Will try that to see if it helps. It will be my first avo fruit if it does set. haha.

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 30, 2021, 03:36:30 PM »
Hi guys, in the fall of 2020, I bought an avocado fruit in the supermarket.I do not know the variety, country of origin and other details, when I ate it, I did not throw away the seed,and now it has grown like this. I have a question, what kind of variety can be grafted on this plant, so that it gives fruit if grown in a pot, and is it possible? Can someone sell me avocado cuttings to be shipped to Russia when the time is right? Regards!

❀ Sergey ❀

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: May 02, 2021, 06:24:24 PM »
Does anyone spray honey water on their flowers to attract bees? And if you have has there been a difference?
Nate

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 21, 2021, 03:06:24 PM »
Has anyone seen this kind of rot in avocado seeds? I've germinated probably 50 seeds from various sources and never had this issue before, so I assume it's not my germination technique (sowing in 1gal pots in the greenhouse) and these fruit/seeds got infected with some fungus before the seeds were sent my way. (Not the seller's fault! They seemed ok when I got them). Seeds were sown ~3 weeks ago and so far two out of 8 have shown signs of rot:

I'm keeping an eye on the others but hopefully won't need to toss out the whole batch? FYI these are Mexicola seeds from Bobooshki.

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: July 23, 2021, 11:09:54 PM »
@spaugh, you said you were waiting for the oil to develop more in the Fujikawa.  What do you think now?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #940 on: July 24, 2021, 12:02:53 AM »
I really like the fujikawas.  It grows really well here and sets fruit well.  And they ripen earlier than reed and nabal.  Taste is unique and the flesh is really dense.  Its great for making guaccamole or sandwiches.  Its a winner.  Theres others that have better flavor but this one is still very good and as a whole package tree it rates very highly.  I top worked 3 or 4 trees with this variety and would reccomend growing it in california.
Brad Spaugh

kevinkay

• USA, Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: July 24, 2021, 06:18:45 AM »
Hi guys, in the fall of 2020, I bought an avocado fruit in the supermarket.I do not know the variety, country of origin and other details, when I ate it, I did not throw away the seed,and now it has grown like this. I have a question, what kind of variety can be grafted on this plant, so that it gives fruit if grown in a pot, and is it possible? Can someone sell me avocado cuttings to be shipped to Russia when the time is right? Regards!

I also planted a grocery store Hass seed.  About 5 years old, sits in my living room in the winter.  What should I try to graft so that I may possibly ever get a fruit? 

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 16, 2021, 08:44:53 AM »
Hey Guys,

Was hoping if anyone can help me out, have a few oro negro’s on the tree and not sure when to pick them, do they turn black on the tree before you pick them?

Thanks, here are some pics below,

Joe

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 16, 2021, 12:05:05 PM »
I think you've got a few more months to go, Joe.  Yes, they will start to turn black on the tree.  Late fall/early winter is their season if I'm not mistaken.  I hope you can keep the squirrels away from them!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 12:08:56 PM by johnb51 »
John

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 16, 2021, 03:47:17 PM »
Hey Guys,

Was hoping if anyone can help me out, have a few oro negro’s on the tree and not sure when to pick them, do they turn black on the tree before you pick them?

Thanks, here are some pics below,

Joe

Black

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: September 16, 2021, 09:54:59 PM »
Monserrate avo  the same it turns Black before harvest

Finley

• Red Bluff
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 23, 2022, 12:09:33 AM »
Any NorCal avocado growers around? I just moved into a new place this spring and have 6 varieties in the ground Just curious what others have had successes/ failures with.

Fygee

• Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 24, 2022, 12:24:05 PM »
My 5 year old Fuerte produced flowers for the first time since I got it from Lowe's. First time any of my avocados have produced flowers of any kind in the 7 years I've been growing them in the Vegas hellscape I call home.

Just the slightest bit of hope that I'll get at least one set fruit if my other trees are able to follow suit.

Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 24, 2022, 02:27:04 PM »
My 5 year old Fuerte produced flowers for the first time since I got it from Lowe's. First time any of my avocados have produced flowers of any kind in the 7 years I've been growing them in the Vegas hellscape I call home.

Just the slightest bit of hope that I'll get at least one set fruit if my other trees are able to follow suit.

Good luck!  Fuerte is a tough one for me.  I had a huge fuerte tree that made very little fruit.  It would flower hard every year but almost no fruit set.  Not sure why?  I have heard of other with the same problem.  It made a good crop only once followed by year after year of lousy fruit set.  I finally stumped it last weekend and plan to top work it with gwen. 
Brad Spaugh

Fygee

• Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 24, 2022, 04:14:41 PM »
Thanks! Just getting any one of my Fuerte, Mexicola Granda, Sir Prize, or Gem to produce a single fruit would be a huge win.