Author Topic: Mango’s - Which of These is Best  (Read 3008 times)

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Mango’s - Which of These is Best
« on: March 29, 2018, 10:02:27 PM »
Which of these varieties is your favorite ?  Glenn,Alphonso, Carrie, Keit, Valencia Pride.
What is your description of the taste from your favorite.
Which of these varieties does best in Southern California?

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango’s - Which of These is Best
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 10:20:20 PM »
Out of those varieties Carrie is my favorite. I'm in florida though. I personally consider the others mediocre at best. Valencia pride is an extremely vigorous tree. Carrie is delicious if picked at the right time with a lot of flavor depth similar to some fine Indian mangos

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 10:37:09 PM »
Out of those varieties Carrie is my favorite. I'm in florida though. I personally consider the others mediocre at best. Valencia pride is an extremely vigorous tree. Carrie is delicious if picked at the right time with a lot of flavor depth similar to some fine Indian mangos

That’s all good.  Everyone's response and opinion is appreciated no matter where anyone is from.
And if you have any knowledge of which one is the hardiest and would do well in So. Cal,  that is a plus😁

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 10:52:03 PM »
I know Keitt is farmed commercially in California but have not heard about any of the others.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 11:04:04 PM »
Alphonso doesn't do produce well in SoCal.
Not on your list, Sweet Tart does do well and is a high quality mango

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 11:12:11 PM »
I agree Carrie is the best out of that group..... it made my top ten from over 100 varieties I've had last year. Glenn is ok, the rest are below average.

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 11:27:02 PM »
From a production standpoint, it is hard to top Valencia Pride in California.  It's a productive tree for me.  The taste is ok for the non-mango snobs.  I give this mango to my friends and co-workers because it is pretty and large.  Better than super market mango but not top tier.

Carrie I have trouble getting it to grow well in my yard.  Maybe slightly more susceptible to die backs on florida rootstock based on me and my friend's experience

Alphonso is a pretty tree for me, blooms like crazy but doesn't seem to set fruit well for me.

Keitt I grow only because it is the latest mango in my yard.  allows me to have mangos in January/Feb in the yard.

My friends have good experience growing sweet tart in california. 

My personal favorite is coconut cream
Robert

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 11:34:29 PM »
Alphonso doesn't do produce well in SoCal.
Not on your list, Sweet Tart does do well and is a high quality mango

Good to know,  thanks! 
I will have to pay a visit to Champa, see if Jimmy carries this mango.
@JF,  Carrie is available at Mimosa LA.  Will be picking one up.

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 11:40:00 PM »
From a production standpoint, it is hard to top Valencia Pride in California.  It's a productive tree for me.  The taste is ok for the non-mango snobs.  I give this mango to my friends and co-workers because it is pretty and large.  Better than super market mango but not top tier.

Carrie I have trouble getting it to grow well in my yard.  Maybe slightly more susceptible to die backs on florida rootstock based on me and my friend's experience

Alphonso is a pretty tree for me, blooms like crazy but doesn't seem to set fruit well for me.

Keitt I grow only because it is the latest mango in my yard.  allows me to have mangos in January/Feb in the yard.

I too have a Keitt but it’s still young.  Won’t be fruiting for a few yrs.
How well does coconut cream do in So.Cal?

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 11:51:06 PM »
I’m wanting to grow a few trees.  My list consists of Orange sherbet, fruit punch, and one more tree.
I also have a Manila growing but will be using it for root stock.
Also debating if I should use the Keitt for rootstock and pick up one more making me a new list of
Orange sherbet, Fruit Punch, Carrie, and ?  Sweet tart ,  coconut cream, lemon zest?🤔

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 12:06:34 AM »

If you want production and adaptability you go with cogshall and Glenn they are much better tasting mangos than VP.

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 12:10:04 AM »
I don't believe orange sherbet is available although rumors say its in the works. Coconut cream and sweet tart are top tier. Lemon zest is plagued with problems in Florida and Zills is no longer propagating it

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 12:16:12 AM »

As for Florida rootstock- turpentine ,  Simon had a thread a cpl of weeks back on the very subject.
I personally will now grow all my trees on  rootstock that does well here in So.Cal.  After reading everyone’s experience with how the Turpentine does here.

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 12:24:03 AM »
I don't believe orange sherbet is available although rumors say its in the works. Coconut cream and sweet tart are top tier. Lemon zest is plagued with problems in Florida and Zills is no longer propagating it

Thanks for the info.  I am actually on the waiting list for Orange Sherbet when it becomes available.
As for lemon zest,  I did read that it will no longer be available and that Orange essence was pretty close in flavor.... but I have yet to hear if that’s true...

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 12:34:06 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I am actually on the waiting list for Orange Sherbet when it becomes available.
As for lemon zest,  I did read that it will no longer be available and that Orange essence was pretty close in flavor.... but I have yet to hear if that’s true...

Orange essence is not even close to LZ in "orangey" flavor.  But orange sherbert is close in flavor to LZ.

From your earlier question on coconut cream....it has a great mild coconut flavor.  The tree is droopy on turpentine and its branches are weak and break with weight or wind.  It really needs to be propped up.  Not the greatest producer in SoCal.  Maybe production will improve with maturity.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:38:45 AM by wslau »
Warren