Author Topic: Accidental ground layers from fig - now what?  (Read 1292 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Accidental ground layers from fig - now what?
« on: January 07, 2019, 10:10:41 AM »
I recently posted this question to OurFigs.com but wanted to tap the brain trust here too....

I recently went to dig-up a dormant Celeste fig that was in the ground for 2 summers (unfortunately I didn't plan well and need to move it).

I found that 4 of the shoots, 1-inch+ in diameter each, had rooted themselves into the mulch and organic matter just clear of the main root crown.

I carefully cut the shoots from the main crown and unearthed as many of their own roots as i could - each had a fairly significant root system of its own. I trimmed the cuttings to about 10 inches or so in total length. (is this too long for the cuttings?)

I chucked them in pots with a peat/bark "nursery" style potting mix and wrapped the exposed shoots in parafilm.

My main question is----what now? Should I bring them indoors to a room-temp environment and or keep them more 40-50 degree temps until spring?

I really don't know what i'm doing  ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 02:02:09 PM by Triloba Tracker »

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
Re: Accidental ground layers from fig - now what?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 07:20:05 PM »
Is a very easy species to root from cuttings. The main figs cuttings killer is too much love and soaked soil that attract fungus. Provide just the minimum water necessary. If the soil is well drained you can put more water and achieve a faster growth, but in the first months is better to be stingy with water. As long as you don't overwater and avoid frost, it will be fine.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Accidental ground layers from fig - now what?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 08:04:50 PM »
Thanks!
Yes the cuttings are all alive and 3 out of 4 are budding.

I kept them under the house which prevented freezing.