Author Topic: Lychee grafted onto Longan?  (Read 54893 times)

Ripple

• Australia, Melbourne, 9b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee grafted onto Longan?
« Reply #175 on: September 10, 2021, 11:10:12 AM »
Hello, great work on your trees. Amazing to know that is possible. I am in Melbourne, Aus, where it is marginal (like Cali) for lychee (too far south!). I just read through the entire thread twice. I just bought a Kohala (looks air-layered) and B3 (Kwai Mai Pink). It is spring here which fits with what Tony714 did; although looks like Fruit4you started mid-summer. I haven't grafted before, so I am a bit hesitant to try on my just-purchased plants.

--Did you both use cleft grafts Tony714 and Fruit4you's?
--Do you want young wood for both the scion AND the root stock? It is a bit hard for me to tell if any of these stems/branches are appropriate, as I have just purchased the plant and have not seen the growth myself.
--Since there are already leaves on both, is it too late in the season to graft? The plants were sent down from a warmer climate, so I wonder if they had already started growing for the season. There are small sprouts of new growth at the top of both trees.
--I would appreciate any opinions on the branches in the photos and whether you think some might be appropriate. The first 2 are longan, the second 2 are lychee. A chopstick is included for comparison.

Tony714

• Fountain Valley OC , SOCAL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2021, 12:59:04 PM »
Welcome to TTF.   
I used cleft graft on young scions about chopstick size like your 2nd pic.  Rootstock was from my parent in-law's air layer.  It was little bigger then your picture but i think yours is doable.   I did not do it in summer so i am not sure you still do it or not.   

if you just bought them, i would suggest to plant it in ground to make sure it has strong root before graft.
Good luck with your project.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 10, 2021, 04:43:25 PM »
Tony, after looking closely at your lychee fruit photo and Max's NMZ photo and it doesn't look the same to me.
Do you know for sure of the origin (source) of the cutting? Is your seeds small like the chicken tongue ones?

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2021, 01:02:55 AM »
Hi Ripple
I like to graft onto young harden shoots using cleft. Your 3rd photo is the size I usually use.
Here's a picture of the size I use, almost like toothpick size.

Ripple

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 11, 2021, 01:28:33 AM »
Hello and thank you for your quick responses! Seems like it would be a good idea to wait until next year (although if I am impatient, maybe I will try bud grafting in the mean time). Longan is supposed to do decently well in Melbourne, but planting it in the ground could be a good start (the rest of my sub/tropicals I am planning on keeping them in pots for a year or two to protect them in the the winter).

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 11, 2021, 06:46:13 AM »
Ripple, good advise from Tony and Max. I agree with Tony wait until your tree is established before grafting it.
I do graft my longan and lychee all year long (up to Oct, in CA) but it seems to do best if grafted in spring. I grafted many varieties in September a few years ago and those grafts took about 10 months before any leaves started to grow out. The ones I grafted this spring has already flushed(new growth) and now 8" long new branches. Of course it could also depend on the variety grafted, NMZ seems to be a very slow grower for me.

Tony714

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 11, 2021, 02:35:31 PM »
Hi Ripple
I like to graft onto young harden shoots using cleft. Your 3rd photo is the size I usually use.
Here's a picture of the size I use, almost like toothpick size.

I'm not 100% sure.  Most seeds are like this from this year but there are few big seeds too.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 02:44:40 PM by Tony714 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2021, 03:05:09 PM »
Tony, your fruit with small seeds look very good. I wish my Brewster fruits all had small seeds like that. Hope my sweetheart lychee grafts grow faster so I can tastes some fruit next year. Thanks to Ken and Son, I have good sweetheart grafts on my larger Brewster tree now.

Tony714

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2021, 03:56:19 PM »
So far it's good and sweet harvest late August.  I'm still trying to learn how to prepare for next year fruit and fertilize it.

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2021, 05:22:58 PM »
I got full blooms on No Mai Tze, Kwi Mai Pink, Sweetheart, Hakip, all grafted onto Longan.

What longan are they grafted to?  I read that even different longan varieties are sometimes graft incompatible.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 26, 2022, 01:45:06 AM »
How are all your lychee on longan grafts doing?

Does grafting lychee on longan grow well on just a branch. 
Wouldn't the lychee graft fade from competing stronger longan branches?
Maybe topworking lychee on longan would make more sense?
What do you guys think?

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2022, 09:57:31 AM »
Snowjunky

My graft still alive. It's hasn't done much cause still too cold. Glad it didn't die.

No Mai Tsz graft

To answer your 3rd question,  As long as the graft is not shaded out, it should be fine. Just cut away any competing branches. We still don't know how long the compatibility will last.

The best result I've seen is the topworked tree from Tony714's tree. Here's a picture of his tree on the graft union. The lychee side is fatter than the Longan side.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2022, 05:46:43 PM »
Here is an article talking about an experiment on lychee grafted on lychee and longan rootstock.  I have no access to it.

https://www.actahort.org/members/showpdf?booknrarnr=923_35

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2022, 12:25:41 AM »
Today, I grafted mauritius, brewster, and hak ip on kohala.  I will update the result in a few months.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2022, 12:17:40 AM »
Wow! Tony's lychee union on longan looks very strong. 
Good luck Seng!  I grafted some lychee on Biew Kiew last week.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2022, 12:25:43 AM »
If this works well, I will be so happy because I have a couple big lonan trees.  Here is a picture of the biggest tree.  It is 15 to 20 feet tall and 20 to 25 feet wide.

sdave032

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 21, 2022, 01:14:15 AM »
Hello all,

I'm going to try to graft my lychee trees with longan, the reason is this:

1- Since 2018 most lychee trees are infected with LEM disease or curly leaves, it is devastating to Florida growers.

2- My Lychee trees have the LEM, but my longan trees do not have them.

3- I thought somehow Longan trees are resistant to the LEM, so if I graft lychee in Longan that might fix the problem

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 20, 2022, 04:39:55 PM »
Super excited!  My lychee on longan grafts showing signs of growth and union fusing!  Will post pics soon if they don't die.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 20, 2022, 06:10:25 PM »
Steve, congrats, hope it keeps growing.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 20, 2022, 08:38:16 PM »
Thanks Kaz.  Temps in Phoenix are already in the 90s with 10% humidity.  I hope we don't get an early heatwave.  I'll keep them shaded.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2022, 11:58:32 PM »
These are pics of Sweetheart grafted about a month ago on Biew Kiew under a starfruit tree.
I have to take extra steps such as using plastic bags when grafting in AZ.
The second pic shows possible heat damage.
The last pic shows a graft with no buds pushing out yet, but a lot of new callous tissue forming at the top of the scion. 
If lychee is able to grow adventitious new shoots from callous tissue like jujube for example, then this would be it.
I got really healthy scions from Max and an ourfigs.com forum member.

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 29, 2022, 02:52:24 AM »
Hi Steve, are you sure bagging the scion is a good idea? It’s already wrapped in buddytape, good enough, no? Wouldn’t it be too hot for the new growth? My lychees here in SoCal can take 90 degrees now problem. They can handle the heat even better than my longans.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 29, 2022, 03:43:51 AM »
Really? Your lychees take the heat better than your longans?  That's good news.
I cut two hole in the bags for ventilation and the bags are in the shade so they don't get hotter inside from sunlight.  I use foil for grafts in the sun.
The bags help with the low desert humidity by keeping moisture in and protects the new growth from drying out from the dry desert winds.
Using bags allow me to graft more fruit types for a longer part of the year outdoors.  So many times I was lazy to bag and the new growth dried out.

It's hard to understand how fast stuff dries in 15% humidity. A leaf will dry out here in two hours when it might take a day in CA.
I always graft late at night when the humidity is a bit higher and never when it's windy.  So far my neighbors have not called the police on me yet.
When grafting I mostly use the quickest and simplest methods like cleft grafting and chip budding so my cuts have less time to dry out.
Take whip and tongue or example, the extra time used to make the two extra cuts and making sure it fits well does more harm than good in low humidity.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 03:58:01 AM by snowjunky »

Ripple

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 06, 2022, 06:35:29 PM »
Hello all,

I had a couple of failed attempts at grafting, but one may have possibly taken. It has been about 2.5 weeks (I couldn't wait till three). I have grafted it onto a bigger stem that still has longan leaves coming from it. Once I think it has taken, should I cut off anything that is above it to encourage growth of the graft? Do I just cincture it? Or best to cut it off (I'm not too attached anyway, plenty more longan branches). **I may have unwrapped the branch prematurely as it is now (a few days later) not looking as green :( finger's crossed***

« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 08:13:14 PM by Ripple »

Dragon3435

• Westminster
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 13, 2022, 07:29:23 PM »
Just wondering if you have any that you grafted if so let me know I like to buy one off of you.

i m still not sure, they 're from family members.   i am guessing No Mai Tsz on Kohala longan.

Here is when i grafted it.
Here you go. I tried couple weeks ago and crossing my fingers.  My in law airlayed Longan tree and gave it to us.  Lychee is from my brother.  I dont have their names.  Will see.