Author Topic: Trip to Hawaii looking for fruit  (Read 2849 times)

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
Trip to Hawaii looking for fruit
« on: July 07, 2019, 09:51:41 PM »
Next month I will be going on a trip to Hawaii, and I want to try as many different exotic fruits as possible while I'm there. Where should I go to find them?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Trip to Hawaii looking for fruit
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 09:56:50 PM »
Which island?
There are a number of farmers markets, as well as roadside stands.
Some nurseries also happen to sell the fruit.

A good list to start.
Pineapple
Breadfruit
Jackfruit
Guava
Passionfruit
Avocado

For each of these it is worth looking for Cultivars which are ordinarily unavailable outside of Hawai'i.

Gogu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 10:11:27 PM »
Which island?
There are a number of farmers markets, as well as roadside stands.
Some nurseries also happen to sell the fruit.

A good list to start.
Pineapple
Breadfruit
Jackfruit
Guava
Passionfruit
Avocado

For each of these it is worth looking for Cultivars which are ordinarily unavailable outside of Hawai'i.

Definitely the big island not sure about the other ones. I'll be sure to be on the lookout for those fruits. I'm mostly looking forward to trying an annona for the first time.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 11:00:05 PM »
when is your trip?  rollinia is in season here in kona.   i have 2 dozen on my trees.  and my atemoyas are about the size of golf balls right now.
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 12:04:08 AM »
Next month I will be going on a trip to Hawaii, and I want to try as many different exotic fruits as possible while I'm there. Where should I go to find them?

On Oahu:
Chinatown Market (not in Chinatown) 1199 Dillingham Blvd - picked up Jackfruit, frozen Durian, and Chico the other day
Kualoa Ranch - got white sapote other day there with some mangoes
Frankie's Nursery in Waimanalo - haven't been in a while, last time there had Jackfruit, Starappple, and Eggfruit

surprisingly Kualoa Ranch is the only place that prices fruit affordable. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 01:21:17 AM »
For best selection  of tropical fruits in Hawaii suggest making a short stop in Honolulu, which most airliines do anyway. Go to Chinatown and Frankie's nursery in Waimanalo. He sells fruits also. And then fly over to Hilo to the Big Island. Make sure to go to Hilo farmer's market either early wednesday or saturday morning. Check all local health food stores, Island Naturals and Abundant Life. If you drive to Kona side of the island stop at the South Kona fruit stand. There is also a early saturday morning farmer's market in Kona at the Keahou shopping center.
Oscar

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 05:05:10 AM »
Seen some Mamey sapote, eggfruit, soursop, ice cream Bean, mangosteen, White sapote and star apple last week at the Hilo farmers market.
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.
Follow me on Instagram: newjunglehawaii

Gogu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 08:02:24 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try to go to all the places recommended if I can.

when is your trip?  rollinia is in season here in kona.   i have 2 dozen on my trees.  and my atemoyas are about the size of golf balls right now.

I'll be there from August 9th till August 22nd.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 06:04:10 PM by Gogu »

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 05:36:51 PM »
I'll be there from August 9th till August 2nd.

Hawaii time is slow, but not that slow!  :P

Gogu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 06:05:22 PM »
Haha, I guess I forgot an extra 2. I've edited the post, sorry for the confusion.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 06:06:05 PM »
Seen some Mamey sapote, eggfruit, soursop, ice cream Bean, mangosteen, White sapote and star apple last week at the Hilo farmers market.

List is also missing lychee and white pineapples are starting to show up

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 11:24:52 PM »
You should also check out the Localvore store in Hilo, and Makuu Market (towards Pahoa) on Sunday.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 02:04:23 AM »
saw Mangosteen $11.99/lb in Chinatown today, I fill up yearly when it drops to 25 cents a pound in Thailand that I have no desire to eat.  Cherimoya $9.99 lb in Chinatown Marketplace (Dillingham), never tried it yet, but maybe have to shell out some big money to try it.  Dragonfruit always available here, forgot to mention, the Thai temple has Saturday morning market for deals on that.

Gogu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 06:18:44 PM »
Just got to Hawaii yesterday and today I went to chinatown in honolulu and picked up some fruit.

I got soursop, sugar apple, egg fruit, sapodilla?, durian, dragon fruit, mamey sapote, mamey apple, rambutan, longan, lychee, noni, bananas(candy apple and thai something), and some other stuff I forgot the name of.

Unfortunately the sugar apple, sapodilla, mamey sapote, and maybe the mamey apple were not ripe.

I'm about to head out soon, so I don't have time to describe how I felt about all the fruit right now, but if you know of any other fruit for sale that I didn't list let me know please. Thank you.

I skipped mangosteen on purpose because I've had it before.

Also, my brother's mouth is numb after eating the egg fruit. Is the skin edible?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:21:43 PM by Gogu »

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 02:09:37 AM »
Noni? trash them. You'll thank me later
-Chris

Gogu

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 03:21:00 AM »
Noni? trash them. You'll thank me later

Yeah, I wasn't planning on trying them after watching other people eat them on youtube, but my brother apparently likes them, so I figured I might as well give it a try. Even if I'm not a fan someone will eat it.

I was really looking forward to the annona fruits since I've never had one, and I imagined that a creamy fruit would be really good. Unfortunate that the sugar apple was unedible when I opened it. I don't think soursop was perfect, but I really liked the flavor. I probably should've done more research on how to tell which fruits were ripe before I went shopping.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 02:03:10 PM »
Today has the farmers market at windward mall.  Not bad.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 07:28:07 PM »
I don't know if it's just me or what, I HATE egg fruits and I don't want to grow any of it.

Gogu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 11:39:05 PM »
Today has the farmers market at windward mall.  Not bad.

Thanks for the tip. I think it might be too late today, but my brother will be taking me to some other farmers markets whenever they're up.

I don't know if it's just me or what, I HATE egg fruits and I don't want to grow any of it.

I can see why people wouldn't be fond of it, but it was quite nice in my opinion. A little dry, but very nice flavor and smooth creamy texture. Probably good for smoothies. Best quality fruit I bought so far when it comes to ripeness.