Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Indoor citrus, Lighting length time and warmth ??

(1/7) > >>

franklazar26:
Hello!

I just finally went big rather than going cheapo and purchasing 5$ grow lights at the hardware store. I purchased a WHOSLED 600W that puts out around 1200 umol/s/m2, and a smaller 2FT T5 bulb set for my seedlings.. How long should I run these lights for the maximum yield of growth while still not racking up a huge energy bill? Looking for opinions! I also have a germination mat underneath both keeping the roots at a good 78-83 degrees F. The surrounding temps go anywhere from 68-76F throughout the day into the night (may get a little warmer with the more powerful lights I'm putting in). What are your guys' opinions? I currently have over 50 citrus seedlings coming consisting of trifoliate, FD, and swindle, along with some misc dwarf poms and coffee.

Thanks for any input!

usirius:
Hello franlazar26, 600 watts for which area to shine? And do you also know the lumen number? I would hang the lamp at least 1-2 meters above the plants to avoid burns. If you cultivate the plants outdoors in summer, you can now go back with the light ON time (day length) even in artificial light. But you can leave 1 hour longer in the morning and 1 hour longer in the evening, so that you have in any case more madness as with a low-light wintering. Of course, if you still have coffee with you...then 11-12 hours of day length (light on time) would not be bad.

franklazar26:

--- Quote from: usirius on October 26, 2019, 03:46:18 PM ---Hello franlazar26, 600 watts for which area to shine? And do you also know the lumen number? I would hang the lamp at least 1-2 meters above the plants to avoid burns. If you cultivate the plants outdoors in summer, you can now go back with the light ON time (day length) even in artificial light. But you can leave 1 hour longer in the morning and 1 hour longer in the evening, so that you have in any case more madness as with a low-light wintering. Of course, if you still have coffee with you...then 11-12 hours of day length (light on time) would not be bad.

--- End quote ---
The pack I have says 8268.6lm. Around 1200 PAR from 18" in height (right around .5m I believe). Note I forgot to say, they do not receive any natural sunlight! They're kept in a closet currently so the light is all the light they will have. I am going to start it at 12 hours a day and go from there though I think!

Thanks!

Millet:
I use a Metal Halide light.  When I light a citrus tree, I turn the light on near sunset, and turn the light off at 10:30 (when I go to bed).  I put the light 12" above the tree.

Ilya11:
In artificial enclosure with white reflecting paper I keep 18 hours of light per day. For the seedlings around 5000 lumen at the soil level is sufficient for growth( measured by Lux Meter Level application). Make sure that temperature do not exceed 30C.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version