Author Topic: Transplanting a surinam cherry  (Read 866 times)

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
Transplanting a surinam cherry
« on: March 17, 2020, 01:27:10 PM »
Hey guys. I've got a few two year old seedlings of surinam cherry (the seed seller claimed they were of a black variety) growing in pots and some of them have started blooming and forming fruit for the first time, about two weeks ago. I'm wondering if it's still OK to transplant them in the ground, or is it too late now?

I didn't have a chance to transplant them so far, because here in the eastern Mediterranean, the nighttime lows are still not high enough and ground frost is a real possibility. I kept the pots outside all winter, but they were on a very large covered balcony so I'm assuming that they had a suitable micro climate that made them start blooming so early. Some of them have even pushed new growth during the winter which really surprised me.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Transplanting a surinam cherry
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 02:50:25 PM »
if you want the fruit to hold, then it's probably too late. But i don't think i'd transplant anyway with the possibility of frost.
Shane

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 07:37:49 AM »
You mean never transplant it in the ground? I've read that they should be hardy to about 22F and we normally don't get such low temperatures here.

Also, I've heard that they bear twice per year, so maybe it's still OK to transplant it now and maybe get fruit in the second wave?

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 09:43:53 AM »
Wait until it’s warmer then plant it. You’ll give it a better start that way.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk