Author Topic: Pineapple thread  (Read 23915 times)

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple thread
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2022, 07:14:37 PM »
Haven't grown enough pineapples to know how often or how to avoid the runts, but got this topless version last year.  The inflorescence was already rather small in the number of flowers, so I didn't bother taking off the slips since I didn't think it was going to get bigger anyways.  I'm guessing the cold is just triggering the plant to flower early and I'm just not getting the plant big enough before that happens.

If the flower is cut off early enough, can the plant push another, hopefully better attempt the following year?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2022, 08:23:21 AM »

Just recently harvested this store bought one. Didn’t taste as good as expected as it probably didn’t get enough fertilizer.
I have some Hilo whites growing and am hyped up for those once they fruit.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2022, 11:20:09 AM »
Are mine looking all right?  All six kauai sugarloaf plants are very red - I read this is either a nutrient deficiency, or intense sun.  I think it's the latter, as they are on my balcony patio right next to window "railing", south-east facing.  Cheese pine also looks odd.. leaves are yellow-brown, not green, and the puan is a mix of the two?  Nights have been cold here in south orange county, 1 mile from ocean.

I try to give 1/2tsp per gallon water dynagro foliage pro once a month, and sometimes if I remember, fish emulsion with a tiny amount of iron between the dynagro.  Too much?  Too little?  All are about a year old.  My grocery store ones are green, look similar size.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2022, 12:36:37 PM »
Mine looked like that when I had them in full sun. Now they're in a mildly shaded location in the greenhouse and are nicer looking.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2022, 01:18:08 PM »
Ah okay, I'll leave them alone then, my shady places are pretty much just shade.  :)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2022, 06:30:07 PM »
Are mine looking all right?  All six kauai sugarloaf plants are very red - I read this is either a nutrient deficiency, or intense sun.  I think it's the latter, as they are on my balcony patio right next to window "railing", south-east facing.  Cheese pine also looks odd.. leaves are yellow-brown, not green, and the puan is a mix of the two?  Nights have been cold here in south orange county, 1 mile from ocean.

I try to give 1/2tsp per gallon water dynagro foliage pro once a month, and sometimes if I remember, fish emulsion with a tiny amount of iron between the dynagro.  Too much?  Too little?  All are about a year old.  My grocery store ones are green, look similar size.

The red color is normal, its the sun.  I have other varieties that stay green and they all get the same treatment.  Nothing to worry about. 

Im ditching the cheese pines and only growing the puan and white sugarloafs now.  The cheese has issues in our weather and the fruits tend to snap off when ripe so be sure to stake it.  The sugarloaf and pauns are winners though. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 06:33:40 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2022, 06:31:17 PM »
Haven't grown enough pineapples to know how often or how to avoid the runts, but got this topless version last year.  The inflorescence was already rather small in the number of flowers, so I didn't bother taking off the slips since I didn't think it was going to get bigger anyways.  I'm guessing the cold is just triggering the plant to flower early and I'm just not getting the plant big enough before that happens.

If the flower is cut off early enough, can the plant push another, hopefully better attempt the following year?

Its the variety.  Looks like a yellow sugarloaf.  Those ones make small fruit.  I got rid of mine because the fruit a so small and ants easily penetrate this variety.

The plant wont push another flower. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2022, 06:34:16 PM »

Not sure what’s going on here but seems weird.

Looks pretty normal.  Which type is that one?
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2022, 05:31:35 PM »

Not sure what’s going on here but seems weird.

Looks pretty normal.  Which type is that one?

Phewf, was worried the bottom growths were gonna make it turn into one of those mutant hydra pineapples with multiple heads.

Those are from you, probably white jade. I didn't label them so no idea really. I am not sure I'll do pineapple again from the slips - they take up a ton of space in the GH for just one fruit.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2022, 06:28:28 PM »
I pretty much gave up growing pineapples. Too much investment on space, water, time to get just one fruit in 2+ years, especially since I don’t have the space for it.

That said, WJ/sugarloaf is delicious.if you have space and patience it’s great
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 06:31:48 PM by beicadad »

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2022, 10:31:32 PM »
Im ditching the cheese pines and only growing the puan and white sugarloafs now.  The cheese has issues in our weather and the fruits tend to snap off when ripe so be sure to stake it.  The sugarloaf and pauns are winners though.
Okay, good to know.  I'm curious why the KSL remain green in hawaii and not here?  Wouldn't the tropical sun there be more intense?

Hopefully at least one will fruit next year :)

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2022, 11:03:30 PM »
If you search for kauai white sugarloaf pics on google the ones in hawaii seem to also have a lot of purple on the leaves.  Its just how they are. 

This is a pic from a farm in hawaii

Brad Spaugh

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2022, 11:23:59 AM »
Oh.. I went back to watch a video of the KSL farm and see the red leaves now.  I guess I remembered them wrong.  Holy cow those plants got huge out there!

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2022, 11:56:38 AM »
Not mine but at a house a few blocks over. Gives me hope of growing some also! There were a ton of succulents next to it.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2022, 01:16:49 PM »
Not mine but at a house a few blocks over. Gives me hope of growing some also! There were a ton of succulents next to it.

Mine languished outside... They do awesome in the greenhouse. 9b as well.

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2022, 04:04:20 PM »

The red color is normal, its the sun.  I have other varieties that stay green and they all get the same treatment.  Nothing to worry about. 

i kinda figured you would end up ditching cheese pine sooner or later i got rid of it for the same reasons just didn't grow well for me and the fruit falls off easy close to being ripe.... i do know the guy that grow's  all his pineapples indoors under grow lights his cheese pine is doing great
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2022, 08:48:30 AM »
New to trying to grow pineapples but older than dirt.  My wife and I were fortunate enough to get a couple of Sugarloaf Pineapples last year and when I heard how long they take to produce, my first thought was I'll never live long enough to enjoy a home grown one.  Now here I am a year later reconsidering.

We live in South Lakeland and in a cold microclimate to make things more difficult.  Accordingly I plan to attempt growing them in pots so they can be moved into a shed when the cold inevitably strikes.  We know we like Sugarloaf and prefer that they are less acidic tasting.

I am looking for suggestions and also wondering if we can jumpstart our timeframe by a year if we purchase a few that are already in 2 gallon containers like the ones at Home Depot which are labelled as Sugarloaf.  We would like to at least get a few pineapples next year.  As we did with mangoes a couple of years ago on this property I would appreciate suggestions for additional Pineapple varieties.  Oh, and earlier this year we did buy a couple of those Pink Pineapples from Sanwa Produce in Tampa for about $7 each.  They were good but not really worth what many seem to be trying to charge.

If someone has any suggestions for local places to purchase the Pineapple varieties suggested, that would be appreciated as well.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2022, 07:45:20 PM »
New to trying to grow pineapples but older than dirt.  My wife and I were fortunate enough to get a couple of Sugarloaf Pineapples last year and when I heard how long they take to produce, my first thought was I'll never live long enough to enjoy a home grown one.  Now here I am a year later reconsidering.

We live in South Lakeland and in a cold microclimate to make things more difficult.  Accordingly I plan to attempt growing them in pots so they can be moved into a shed when the cold inevitably strikes.  We know we like Sugarloaf and prefer that they are less acidic tasting.

I am looking for suggestions and also wondering if we can jumpstart our timeframe by a year if we purchase a few that are already in 2 gallon containers like the ones at Home Depot which are labelled as Sugarloaf.  We would like to at least get a few pineapples next year.  As we did with mangoes a couple of years ago on this property I would appreciate suggestions for additional Pineapple varieties.  Oh, and earlier this year we did buy a couple of those Pink Pineapples from Sanwa Produce in Tampa for about $7 each.  They were good but not really worth what many seem to be trying to charge.

If someone has any suggestions for local places to purchase the Pineapple varieties suggested, that would be appreciated as well.

It is unusual for a well grown pineapple to take longer than 18-24 from planting to fruit. 18 months for a sucker or ratoon and 24 months for a top. I have had them bloom at only 4 months when planted in November (probably because of stress from drought and cold) but the fruits were small. The ones at Home Depot will likely produce a small fruit as well. They do fine in 7 gal pots in my experience, but are hard to move once they get big. You may be able to tie the leaves up when you need to move them to make it easier.

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 20, 2022, 09:17:22 AM »
Thanks for your input Galatians, I really appreciate it.  One thing I have started considering is that I have an old wire mesh wagon with wheels.  About 18" wide, by 36" long and about 15" high.  Thinking about lining it with weed barrier making sure it will allow sufficient drainage and then filling it with an appropriate mix and planting a couple of pineapples in it.  That way if I need To, I can move it around if necessary and still allow it to have some good room to grow.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 20, 2022, 01:40:14 PM »

Another one flowered and the other two fruit sets are fattening up. Anyone have a forecast for how long the fruit set ones will take?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2022, 02:43:36 PM »

This type of yellow sugarloaf makes small fruit.  To get bigger fruit you need to grow a different pineapple. 

I grew those several times and the size is always disappointing so I did get rid of them entirely and noe just grow 3 or 4 types.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2022, 02:45:09 PM »

Another one flowered and the other two fruit sets are fattening up. Anyone have a forecast for how long the fruit set ones will take?

Hey Kevin, its about 6 months for fruit maturation from that stage. 
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 20, 2022, 02:56:53 PM »
Nice, pineapple for Christmas then!

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2022, 11:55:43 AM »
My part of so cal had an unusually sunny June, but the gloom caught up and last three weeks have been overcast just about daily.  I think the pineapple plants are responding well cosmetically, they've greened up a bit and look overall healthier than they did last month.  That said, I went a bit too long in watering them this week and the mix I use (peat, bark, perlite) has dried out because I'm getting awful channeling now.  I don't think I'll do air-pruning pots without automated watering again.**

How do you all rehydrate peat-based mixes without taking the plants out of the pot?

**I bought a bunch of 5-10 gallon rainscience grow bags a couple years ago on a 4/20 deal for my peppers and tomatoes, then when I was upotting my pineapples last year, I had the grow bags handy and decided to try them; biggest drawback is that they dry out super quick, I've seen no evidence that they are better than regular pots for everything else.  Despite this, they are super high quality, will last a long time, and clean up nicely in the washing machine.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2022, 03:05:24 PM »
I will never use fabric grow bags again for anything that lives longer than 6 months. They end up making soil hydrophobic really quick and sounds like the issue you're having. Plastic pots only for me!

I'd pull the whole root ball out, bang off what you can and then re-pot into plastic. My pineapples are in 7g square pots, doing well.