Author Topic: Mini mango tasting, SoCal grown  (Read 3630 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Mini mango tasting, SoCal grown
« on: October 19, 2020, 10:20:02 PM »
We are getting into the peak of the Southern California mango season and there won’t be any big mango tastings this year because of COVID but Leo Manuel and another good friend with a large orchard dropped off a bunch of mangos for me to sample.

This first picture are mangos with a bit of spice or Indian resin flavor profile. Some of these mangos may not have been picked at peak maturity but my friend lives pretty far away and hopefully they will ripen sufficiently.

These next few pictures are various mangos from Leo Manuel.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
Re: Mini mango tasting, SoCal grown
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 10:26:04 PM »
You may have noticed the newly released “Peace” AKA “Bunny” mango

Just kidding, this is a Peggy mango from Leo Manuel’s yard. Peggy is known for having strange growths. It is an excellent, sweet mango with just a hint of resin to make it interesting. This variety is also very disease resistant and productive in areas with high fungal disease pressures.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 10:30:27 PM »
The Small Carrie had a couple squishy spots on it so I had to cut it open immediately. The soft spots were bad and had an unpleasant odor but the firm areas were excellent tasting. The Carrie, to me, tastes like a better Alphonso. This fruit had a Brix of 19%.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 11:22:29 PM »
Here are some unripe pictures of some the mangos on a scale

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 11:25:26 PM »
And a few more

Simon

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 11:47:15 PM »
Nice. Better than store-bought?

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 03:27:48 AM »
I've been curious what the "resin" taste is like?  I've not had the chance to sample as many different types, so trying to pin down that characteristic.  I've tried some imported Kensington Pride that had what I might consider a resinous aftertaste, although I might stretch it further to more of a gasoliney flavor.  Perhaps a closer resin hint I've tasted would be in some lesser ripened Valencia Pride.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 09:01:46 AM »
I've been curious what the "resin" taste is like?  I've not had the chance to sample as many different types, so trying to pin down that characteristic.  I've tried some imported Kensington Pride that had what I might consider a resinous aftertaste, although I might stretch it further to more of a gasoliney flavor.  Perhaps a closer resin hint I've tasted would be in some lesser ripened Valencia Pride.
I'd say "gasoliney" is an extreme example of a resin taste.  "Piney" is more normal.
John

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 09:32:53 AM »
KP should have no piney/resinous/gasoline taint and has a cleaner taste. Piney is just a polite way of saying mild hydrocarbon taste. For many people it is the first characteristic to reject a mango by.

Itay Gazit

• san jose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 10:50:18 AM »
Looks awesome!

How was the taste of Sweet Tart seedling compare to the Florida Sweet Tart?

Thx

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 11:11:04 AM »

Buy an Alphonso and/or Kesar mango from an Indian supermarket.  You'll see right away.  Little India in Artesia is not too far drive from you.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 02:37:29 PM »
Are the Indian mangoes still available currently?  I'd make the drive to grab some.  I didn't expect much from the KPs, given the travel distance, but was a bit surprised by the VPs.  The ripe VPs were great, but not overly better than regular fare.  But if underripe ones have that pineyness, I'll be avoiding them going forward.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 04:49:18 PM »
Looks like a major tasting no matter how many people participated.
Still more myths and legends than reality for 99.99% of Californian’s.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 06:19:59 PM »
Well done Simon & Co. I need to revisit!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 11:11:05 AM »
Nice. Better than store-bought?

Oh yes, definitely better than store bought.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 11:12:49 AM »
You may have noticed the newly released “Peace” AKA “Bunny” mango

Just kidding, this is a Peggy mango from Leo Manuel’s yard. Peggy is known for having strange growths. It is an excellent, sweet mango with just a hint of resin to make it interesting. This variety is also very disease resistant and productive in areas with high fungal disease pressures.

Simon

:-) is there some mutation in its ''genes''

I’m not sure, there could be something in the genetics that affects the form or shape of the ovaries or pistil but I’m just guessing.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 11:25:29 AM »

There are many different types of resin taste and it really depends on whom you ask and what their palate detects as resinous to them.

One of the strongest resinous tastes out there that I believe the majority of mango eater would agree tastes resinous would be the taste from Mangos like Alphonso, Kesar and Carrie. The taste and smell is like pine sol cleaner with diesel or gasoline type terpenes. It can be very off putting for those that are unaccustomed to this taste but then there are some people like myself that really appreciate this unique taste.

Some people may pick up a certain type of resinous taste that is reminiscent of the resinous taste of many SurinamCherries.

Another different type of resinous taste is the actual “Turpentine” taste. To me, this type of resin tastes and smells like the the scent of when you crush a young mango leaf. Many mangos have this type of smell or taste in the background, often times it can also be very faint and nearly undetectable. I find this type of resinous taste closer to the skin and towards the stem end of the fruit.

To my palate, overripe mangos seem to have a muted or toned down resinous taste.

Simon

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 11:33:27 AM »
When I tried Kesar, IMHO, it tasted like black licorice

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2020, 11:37:42 AM »
Looks awesome!

How was the taste of Sweet Tart seedling compare to the Florida Sweet Tart?

Thx

The Sweet Tart seedling tasted identical to all other Real Sweet Tarts. In the pictures above, I posted the Sweet Tart Seedling #2 next to another true Sweet Tart grown in SoCal. The larger, true, Sweet Tart is still ripening on the counter. I gave a description( with pictures) of the ST seedling #2 fruit in my Mango Seedling thread but in short, it was perfect!

The only real morphological difference I can see between my seedling fruit and the true Sweet Tart variety is that my seedling was flatter. My seedlings first fruit had a very small seed.  The seed is so small that I’m not sure if it will germinate but I’m going to try.

My Sweet Tart Seedling #2 had a Brix of 26% and it came from a two foot tall tree with only about 80 leaves. This is also the very first fruit it has ripened. This is a very good sign for a first fruit.

I’m really hoping that this seedling consistently produces fruit with tiny seeds because I love Sweet Tart but sometimes wished the seed were smaller as they can sometimes get quite big. Here in SoCal, we often get small or aborted seeds, probably as a result of incomplete pollination. Still, there is a chance that this small seeded ness may be heritable.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2020, 11:42:23 AM »
Looks like a major tasting no matter how many people participated.
Still more myths and legends than reality for 99.99% of Californian’s.

Yeah, hopefully COVID will blow over soon and we can start doing gatherings again. Brads got a bunch of mangos growing extremely well at the orchard and they should start producing in the coming years.

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2020, 11:45:11 AM »
Here come the Simon ST scion requests

;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 11:48:23 AM by roblack »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2020, 11:49:05 AM »
Well done Simon & Co. I need to revisit!

Hey Future, hopefully next time you are down this way, the mangos planted at Brads orchard will be producing. I have another friend with a huge mango orchard and his trees should reach heavy production size in a couple years.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2020, 11:55:46 AM »
Here come the Simon ST scion requests

;)

Haha, I think these seedlings are just clones but it would be very cool if there was a mutation or genetic drift that caused the small seeds. I’m still eager to find out how the fruit from the larger Sweet Tart Seedling #1 will turn out.

The main takeaway is that for people that don’t know how to graft, it is possible to just plant a seed and you can get excellent tasting fruit if you are able to get the clone. Who knows, perhaps the zygotic seedling also tastes identical to the true Sweet Tart. We just need more data so I hope everyone growing mango seedlings can contribute to the mango seedling thread.

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2020, 12:42:59 PM »
(@roblack) Its ok, I dis-ignored you, but that was a bit harsh dont you think :(

not sure what you are talking about.

my post was not directed at you in anyway.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2020, 12:37:49 PM »
How long does mango season last for you Simon? How far can you stretch it?

Very curious about variation in flavor profiles between cultivars grown in CA, and elsewhere (e.g., here). Wonder how many people have tried east and west coast versions of the same mango.