Author Topic: When do people start selling avocado scion?  (Read 888 times)

Ado

• Torrance
    • View Profile
When do people start selling avocado scion?
« on: February 14, 2021, 11:21:00 PM »
Anyone know when people start selling avocado scion wood?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: When do people start selling avocado scion?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 11:36:02 PM »
the best time to graft avocados in southern ca is end of march through April.  I may have some scions available then. 
Brad Spaugh

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 03:19:12 AM »
Anyone know when people start selling avocado scion wood?

Avocados go through periodic vegetative flush, root/fruit development, and flowering phases, but the exact timing of those varies a lot between cultivars and even in different climates (CA vs FL, e.g.) for the same cultivars. Scions can be taken any time other than when flowering is about to begin or already underway, and even then it probably will be fine. Shortly after fruit set is probably the best time, but really any time small/immature vegetative buds are visible on the firm green wood. Sorry if that doesn't really answer the question, but I think the answer is probably "it depends on the type of avocado you want and where the seller is growing it."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 03:26:51 AM by swincher »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 12:35:21 PM »
You can graft flowering scion wood without issues.  The timing is more dependent on the weather.  Avocados do their new flush in spring and thats a good time to graft when there aren't extreme cold or hot to deal with.  Although, you can graft anytime, this seems to work the best. 
Brad Spaugh

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 01:11:53 PM »
Hi
Bad experience. 3 forum members make claims to my paypal account . I refund them,but the claims still in my records.
Trump era still alive. Any one remember when the mail sort machines had been turned off?

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 02:12:25 PM »
You can graft flowering scion wood without issues.  The timing is more dependent on the weather.  Avocados do their new flush in spring and thats a good time to graft when there aren't extreme cold or hot to deal with.  Although, you can graft anytime, this seems to work the best.

I definitely defer to you on this one! I mostly meant I've read that if the scions have flower buds rather than vegetative buds then you'll probably have a higher failure rate, but my personal experience is minimal compared to yours.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 02:15:16 PM by swincher »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 03:26:03 PM »

I definitely defer to you on this one! I mostly meant I've read that if the scions have flower buds rather than vegetative buds then you'll probably have a higher failure rate, but my personal experience is minimal compared to yours.

Eh, I'm still figuring things out but I've had enough successful grafts with flower buds on the scion it seems like not a deal breaker.  The biggest issue for me is if its too hot and humidity is too low the new growth dries up and fails once it breaks the tape.  After about May its not really possible to have grafts on trees outside here.  People who live closer to the ocean can graft later into summer without that issue. 
Brad Spaugh

Ado

• Torrance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 08:36:13 PM »
Does anyone follow what phase the moon is when they graft? I'm skeptical about that but I've heard its best to graft during waxing crescent.