Author Topic: Mango Fertilizing Schedule  (Read 1794 times)

andrewly

• Tampa
    • View Profile
Mango Fertilizing Schedule
« on: April 06, 2021, 10:42:18 AM »
I'm drowning in contradictory information on when to fertilize my mango tree. Based on a soil report and some advice from this forum, I should be applying about 1.5lbs of 0-0-22 fertilizer three times a year, but I am very confused about when those three times should be. It seems pretty clear that I should do one right after the harvest is over (for my tree, that's August), but beyond that, every source is giving me different info (or just saying 3-4 times without identifying the times).

Some sources say to fertilize at the beginning of the dry season (for Tampa, that's Oct-Nov timeframe). Then others say before flowering (Dec for my tree), or after flowering, but before fruiting (Jan, maybe Feb), and still others say after the fruit starts growing! I would love some clarification.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Mango Fertilizing Schedule
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 12:35:43 PM »
Exact timing is not so important. If you haven't applied yet this year, apply now. Apply again in 3 - 4 months from the first application. Repeat 3 - 4 months later. Next year do Feb, June, and Oct.

I'm drowning in contradictory information on when to fertilize my mango tree. Based on a soil report and some advice from this forum, I should be applying about 1.5lbs of 0-0-22 fertilizer three times a year, but I am very confused about when those three times should be. It seems pretty clear that I should do one right after the harvest is over (for my tree, that's August), but beyond that, every source is giving me different info (or just saying 3-4 times without identifying the times).

Some sources say to fertilize at the beginning of the dry season (for Tampa, that's Oct-Nov timeframe). Then others say before flowering (Dec for my tree), or after flowering, but before fruiting (Jan, maybe Feb), and still others say after the fruit starts growing! I would love some clarification.
Brandon

andrewly

• Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 05:47:29 PM »
Exact timing is not so important. If you haven't applied yet this year, apply now. Apply again in 3 - 4 months from the first application. Repeat 3 - 4 months later. Next year do Feb, June, and Oct.

Thanks - so there's no problem fertilizing while the tree is fruiting?

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 11:48:49 AM »

lol... You May be ostracized by the Organic, Homeopathic, Naturalist societies of Mother Earth Club.... lol....

But really, there are many many that firmly believe the color and sweetness of the fruit will be decreased with fertilizer application during fruit growth...

Who is right??? Probably about like mango production year to year in that it varies and almost impossible to tell for sure.... lol....

It's probably my fault in that my taste buds are mine and not yours....lol...

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 05:09:32 PM »

lol... You May be ostracized by the Organic, Homeopathic, Naturalist societies of Mother Earth Club.... lol....

But really, there are many many that firmly believe the color and sweetness of the fruit will be decreased with fertilizer application during fruit growth...

Who is right??? Probably about like mango production year to year in that it varies and almost impossible to tell for sure.... lol....

It's probably my fault in that my taste buds are mine and not yours....lol...

Blame the taste reduction as a Covid lingering side effect

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 07:11:00 PM »
You have to be careful about what you fertilize with, and how much, just before flowering through the fruiting cycle. Hit it too hard with the wrong stuff at the wrong time, you can hurt your harvest.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 09:37:42 PM »
This made the rounds a while ago

https://treasurecoastrarefruitclub.wordpress.com/fertilize-mangos/
http://treasurecoastrarefruitclub.wordpress.com/mango-fertilizer-routine/

It is not for Tampa but perhaps you can take something from the instructions which are fairly detailed.
PS, you may not be able to click through the links in the site (the links are missing the word "wordpress" in the URL)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 09:19:49 AM »
Well you also should consider what type fertilizer you are using and the weather. Some are slow release and some are not. If you applied last month it might take till June for enough rain to soak it in unless watered. In summer if you put down non-controlled release a 5 inch rain might wash it all away in 2 days.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 12:25:28 PM »
The Fairchild Mango Farm recommendations are appropriate for Homestead's "Redland" soils, but are unlikely to be adequate for sandy soils.
Har