Author Topic: When to look for flowers on my "Jorco" Garcinia sp from Costa rica  (Read 621 times)

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
I got this plant towards the end of the last rainy season here, planted it in the ground and it took drought and strong winds all dry season with almost no problems, just a couple lost leaves. It's starting to put out new growth now and I was wondering when they flower? Not the season or the month, just an idea like as they're starting to put on new growth or as the new leaves mature or after the new leaves mature.

I'm guessing this is either G. intermedia, brasiliensis or humilis, it was described as the "bigger Jorco", the smaller one is most likely intermedia but it's never fruited so I don't know for sure.

roycarballo

• Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Re: When to look for flowers on my "Jorco" Garcinia sp from Costa rica
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 01:44:08 PM »
Hello.
The Garcinias here in San Ramón de Alajuela, are blooming right now. These are photos of my largest Garcinia Intermedia, which is about 5 or 6 years old. But I understand that in the Atlantic climate, where it rains more, there is faster growth. In February I was eating fruits in Puerto Viejo de Limón. So I'm assuming it bloomed last year.

I have noticed that the lack of water affects them a lot. Especially when they are small.
I also have some Garcinia madruno but none seem to bloom yet. And three Garcinia macrophyla, but they are only a couple of years old. I hope to plant the Garcinia that Zill sells this year (humilis, prainiana and parvifolia). And in PZ there is a nursery that claims to have Garcinia brasiliensis. So there is plenty to try. But that one of yours seems to be Garcinia intermedia or Garcinia xanthochilus
Greetings from San Ramon.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 03:17:59 PM »
This is a season for both flowering and fruiting in Puerto Viejo. We have flowers and fruit on several garcinias. 
How long they take to fruit really depends.  Quickest could be lemon drop and at a small size of less than a meter tall.  Many start very slowly from seed but pick up the pace after a couple of years.
Peter

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 08:24:22 PM »
I got this plant towards the end of the last rainy season here, planted it in the ground and it took drought and strong winds all dry season with almost no problems, just a couple lost leaves. It's starting to put out new growth now and I was wondering when they flower? Not the season or the month, just an idea like as they're starting to put on new growth or as the new leaves mature or after the new leaves mature.

I'm guessing this is either G. intermedia, brasiliensis or humilis, it was described as the "bigger Jorco", the smaller one is most likely intermedia but it's never fruited so I don't know for sure.

I have a few of these, Sadhu sold them as "Jocomico" but he said it was the same species as the bigger "Jorco". Elongated, skinnier leaves and elongated fruit compared to the common Lemondrop. Still waiting on them to flower, same size as yours. Probably needs a few more years.