Author Topic: Pictures from the yard  (Read 1265 times)

Dmaxx69

• Hawaii County, Keaau, HI zone 11b
    • View Profile
Pictures from the yard
« on: May 24, 2021, 09:46:05 PM »
Thought it would be fun to share some pics of some of the trees around my property. I live on the east side of the big island Hawaii on 2 acres. 2nd acre is only recently cleared and not planted out. Ive been here for about 3 years.

This is my gorgeous emperor lychee. In ground 1.5 years, 4ish feet tall

This is my ma'afala breadfruit. In ground around 2 years. 10ish feet tall after topping

Here is my unnamed chocolate sapote. In ground 2ish years, stands about 3.5feet after topping this year. Has first flowers on it currently

This is my first soursop tree. In ground almost 2.5 years and produces amazing fruits in winter. Stands about 12 feet at tallest branch. Has been topped

My black gold jackfruit tree!! In ground around 2.5 years and producing delicious fruits. Harvested my first ripe one about a month and half ago. It was ugly, black exterior, about 40lbs, and incredibly delicious!! It was also my wife amd my first real experience with fresh jackfruit. I started 4 seedlings from it and also have a chempadek seedling in ground and a dwarf pink ziman jackfruit planted. Looking forward to the next round of fruits! More to come...

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures from the yard
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 01:08:02 AM »
 8)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 09:20:08 AM »
Beautiful work! Nice to see what you are doing out there in Hawaii.

Dmaxx69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 10:15:17 AM »
Definitely different rules to growing here. No irrigation needed. Soil is scarce and precious and rocks abound. Basically growing on top of lava rock. But it works haha

Dmaxx69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 10:34:14 AM »

My large abiu tree! Planted 2 at the same time from same nursery and one of them grew twice as big.. Anyways, tall one has hundreds if flowers right now!

Mangifera Casturi tree. Very excited for this one. Close relative of mango but bears prolifically even in rain. Supposed to be the most reliable mango in our wet climate here. In ground 1.5 years. Stands 4ft tall

Peanut butter fruit tree is going off this year. Loaded with flowers, like 10 times as much as last spring. In ground 1.5 years. Stand about 7 or 8 feet.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 10:41:20 AM »
Beautiful tree's your in great growing area climate wise dealing with hard lava another thing 8)

Dmaxx69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 07:39:52 PM »
Yeah the initial strategy was to fill the natural depressions or pukas of the lava flow. Now we are building up growing spots and holding together with logs. I intend to have waves of large truck fulls of wood chips brought in after i grade the property with cinder. Gonna get that humus buidling up and connecting all my trees to one another! All in due time.. Still building out the homestead as well, but eventually will be putting my all into the land

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 11:39:42 PM »
Beautiful plot! Jealous you get plenty of rainfall. At least your soil drains well. Ours is full of clay and non porous rock.

Dmaxx69

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 11:58:50 AM »
Id be pretty screwed without good drainage lol 2200mm/year avg rainfall..

Dragonfruits taking over my albezia stumps. One is much more recent but was started better and grew rapidly. The older one has its first flower coming in after about 2 years. Purple variety i believe, though it is hard to remember all the varieties i bought over the last couple years. I have between 4 and types around the yard. Most recent addition is the paloma

Dmaxx69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 12:13:17 PM »

Some other dragonfruits

This is my most healthiest dragonfruit grouping. A young rollinia to the right that was topped and pruned heavy during the winter. Filling in quite nicely now. Hoping for first fruits this year

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 03:46:32 PM »
Awesome updates!

You are living in paradise. I’m jealous of all your land and the natural beauty around your property. What an awesome place you have!

Simon

Dmaxx69

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 09:16:30 PM »
Thanks for appreciating my wife and my hard work    :D
I dont do social media, so it is nice to share pictures with people that know what im even showing them. Was inspired by a few other threads of yard tours so istarted my own. Will continue uodating with more pics, just showing off the big trees first then all the little guys

Dmaxx69

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 10:47:36 PM »

Dwarf honey tangerine. Loaded with fruitlets currently and produces amazing fruit.

My unknown jaboticabo. In ground 2 years, stands 4 feet tall.

My gifted mystery mango is also the largest of all the trees we have planted. It was in a pot for 5 years in someones driveway prior to being rescued. It supposedly is a variety that will set flowers in my wet puna climate and the parent tree was a good producer.. Those leaves tho!! Is 18 inch leaves a dead giveaway for variety? None of the other mango trees i look at have leaves anywhere close to this size. Any ideas??

Dmaxx69

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2021, 12:15:15 PM »

Here is my pretty little linda grafted avocado. She was barely a stick a year ago, and still a bit small. Coming in strong with new growth this year

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 10:26:01 AM »
When do you top the soursop?