Author Topic: For Sale by Owner: Tropical Fruit Farm in Ecuador  (Read 3301 times)

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
For Sale by Owner: Tropical Fruit Farm in Ecuador
« on: May 28, 2021, 09:51:23 PM »
Hello,

My friend is selling the following property and wants me to post this:

Self-Sufficient Paradise

For sale by owner: 77 hectares in one of the world’s biologically diverse hotspots. 65 hectares of tropical forest with abundant water, including a waterfall, and a natural spring that supplies the property with plumbed water year-round. Aside from the pristine wilderness, the other 12 Hectares include beautiful bamboo buildings such as a 100 square meter main house, natural swimming pools, and a bamboo bungalow perfect for renting to tourists and other wildlife enthusiasts. The 12 hectares surrounding these buildings have been planted to an abundant, permaculture-style food forest with a diversity of fruit-bearing trees. The area also includes a heavily-terraced zone for tourism, and offers breathtaking views of the tropical valley below.

Due to its altitude, the property is situated in an ideal climatic sweetspot, with year-round daytime temperatures hovering around 80F and nighttime lows hovering around 60F. This offers the best of both worlds: the lushness of the jungle with the natural air-conditioning of the mountains.

The farm doubles both as an organic food-producing property as well as a source of construction material in the form of bamboo. The fruit trees have only recently begun to bear fruit in the past couple years, so many years of optimal production await. The extensive plantings of bamboo are sufficient to support a cottage industry for supplying a niche construction sector, which has experienced an explosion of interest in recent years.

Being located immediately next to one of Ecuador’s major transportation arteries, the E45 (a paved highway that rivals the Panamerican in national importance), facilitates the farm’s access to national as well as international markets. Furthermore, the property features its own well-maintained access road to connect the main buildings and productive areas of the farm to the E45 highway. Also, the farm and wilderness areas feature kilometers of trails for great hiking opportunities, offering this unique homestead excellent accessibility for both work and recreation.

This is the chance of a lifetime to dive into a developed permaculture farm in paradise.

There are many more features not mentioned here. For a comprehensive list of all the features of this property including information on the plantings please email me: tenzinnorbu@tutanota.com
Total Price: $648K (A minimum of 20% must be paid with USD or other major currency, the rest may be paid with cryptocurrency)

...And here's a link to the escapeartist listing with some cool photos:
https://www.escapeartist.com/realestate/properties/self-sufficient-paradise/

Some of the edibles planted:
Jackfruit, Salak, Guayusa, Ginger, Papaya, Pili Nut Tree, Turmeric, Dragonfruit, Neem, Mango,
Durian, Breadfruit, Pineapple, Soursop, Sapote, Bananas, Mangosteen, Avocado, Starfruit,
Katuk, Lemongrass, Quince, Lime, Rambutan, Mamey, Abiu, Apai, Cupuacu, Cinnamon,
Caimito, Rollinia Deliciosa, Granadilla, Sangre de drago, Coconut palms, Peach-palm
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 09:57:56 PM by agroventuresperu »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: For Sale by Owner: Tropical Fruit Farm in Ecuador
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 11:12:18 PM »
if I ever wished I had half a million dollars

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 11:40:32 PM »
Funny how people can go off to live in a tropical paradise, and it doesn't work out the way they thought it would.  I had a friend in L.A. who moved to Ecuador (Loja/E45) with big plans of self-sufficiency when we were in our 30's.  It turned out to be a real freakin' struggle for him and his wife, like WTF have we gotten ourselves into.  They were back in L.A. after a couple of years.  Another couple went off to live on their five-acre homestead in the Arkansas Ozarks.  The wife left him there after a year.  (Have you seen MINARI?)  He moved into town and got a job.  Even with beautiful dreams you can get crushed by the work involved, or bankrupted!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 01:15:19 PM by johnb51 »
John

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 01:02:46 AM »
Sounds like you just hung out with Debbie Downer...
Nate

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 10:04:58 AM »
Reality sucks! It always helps to try to keep a present source of income.
John

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 10:45:56 AM »
The reality is people have, and are doing this, have been successful, and are living their dreams!!! But I guess some folks are optimists (the ones living their dreams, or at least trying) and some will cruise through life holding that half empty beer...wondering...what if...
Nate

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 11:41:36 AM »
The reality is people have, and are doing this, have been successful, and are living their dreams!!! But I guess some folks are optimists (the ones living their dreams, or at least trying) and some will cruise through life holding that half empty beer...wondering...what if...
Sure, but they really have do their homework with tons of research, careful planning, and way more $$$ than they think they'll ever need.  And are you denying the hard work involved?  Going to live in a foreign country with a different language, culture, customs, and who-knows-what-attitude towards Americans compounds the difficulty.  Beyond the cliches how many do you personally know, Nate?  Which country are you headed to?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 11:43:08 AM by johnb51 »
John

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 11:50:52 AM »
I've seen friends create thriving farms and business in Guatemala.  It's certainly not impossible.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Dmaxx69

• Hawaii County, Keaau, HI zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 12:22:49 PM »
@johnb51 just because it is not for you or the people you know doesnt mean ya need to share your perspective. Like, if YOU had attempted to go live that dream and were sharing personal experiences thatd be more helpful, not just conjecture based off of somebody elses experience. Just sayin

Lukester

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 12:49:27 PM »
What’s wrong with John sharing his thoughts???
Thanks John for the perspective!!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 01:10:32 PM »
@johnb51 just because it is not for you or the people you know doesnt mean ya need to share your perspective. Like, if YOU had attempted to go live that dream and were sharing personal experiences thatd be more helpful, not just conjecture based off of somebody elses experience. Just sayin

??? Please show me where you think I said something that wasn't true.  Point out my errors.  Where am I being dishonest or misleading people?  Or are you saying the only valid perspectives are the ones you like to hear, and everyone else should just shut up?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 03:43:42 PM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 01:12:30 PM »
I've seen friends create thriving farms and business in Guatemala.  It's certainly not impossible.

Okay.  And in Costa Rica, too.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 03:41:01 PM by johnb51 »
John

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 03:12:45 PM »
Farming is hard work and infrastructure is expensive to develop and more hard work, wherever you are in the world.
I would say places that do not require irrigation infrastructure and added costs of paying for or worrying about water is a pretty big benefit considering it being just as important as soil.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2021, 03:42:16 PM »
Farming is hard work and infrastructure is expensive to develop and more hard work, wherever you are in the world.
I would say places that do not require irrigation infrastructure and added costs of paying for or worrying about water is a pretty big benefit considering it being just as important as soil.
How true!  Being in CA you know the value of water.  I love CA (where I was born) for its mountains and its beauty in general, but FL and the Eastern states have rainfall!  (Hey, at least, we're calling plenty of attention to this farm for sale.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 03:51:45 PM by johnb51 »
John

Dmaxx69

• Hawaii County, Keaau, HI zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2021, 12:06:58 PM »
If you read what i wrote, i never mention things untrue or misleading. Simply stating your opinion on the matter is negatively biased and worth jack shit if you didnt personally go attempt this lifestyle yourself. Just cuz your reality sucks doesnt mean ya need to project that on others

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2021, 02:23:35 PM »
Different perspectives and opinions are valid even if they are not always totally positive.
It’s reality that the lifestyle mentioned does not suit everyone.
People like their creature comforts.
Those who have eyes can see and learning from others experiences and misadventures is a valid way to avoid some potholes in life.
That is a pretty big assumption to suggest someone’s reality sucks because they are stating what really happens all the time. Heck, plenty of people move to a condo in town in Kona and it’s too roughing it for them because there is not enough restaurants to their liking , or whatever and move back to LA LA land. Some people love the middle of the jungle nature immersed lifestyle , and some people can’t sleep because of all the frog, insects and roosters and would prefer to live next to an airport or public transit and be more comfortable. There’s all types. Ultimately humanity’s disconnection to nature in general is quite troubling , sacrificing nature’s resources for profits and control of space.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2021, 03:03:05 PM »
Thanks, Bush2Beach.  You're obviously an aware, observant, sensible, logical, thoughtful, and respectful person, who has been around the block.  Ultimately humanity's disconnection to nature and destruction of nature's resources might result in making our planet uninhabitable for our species.  Now that would be a reality that really sucks!  I am still OPTIMISTIC (believe or not) that we have the intelligence, ingenuity, spirituality, and capacity for cooperation to correct our course.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 03:22:24 PM by johnb51 »
John

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2021, 10:56:11 AM »
This thread brings up some good points. I definitely want to check out the movie suggestion.

Personally, I don't think Ecuador is the best place for the same reasons I wouldn't recommend Costa Rica or parts of Mexico. Too many foreigners. In my experience, many latin americans do their best to take advantage of gringos when faced with the opportunity. And gringos are too good at providing those opportunities. This seems to be worse in areas where there are more gringos. Where my friend lives though, I don't think there are hardly any foreigners, which sounds like part of what he doesn't enjoy about being there. It's not easy to find yourself in the middle of an entirely different culture with little to no outlet. As much as I never felt like a part of my native country, it is honestly hard to be in a foreign land. My friend has expressed his sentiment of feeling like he has a lack of community there.

That said, I think my friend is dumb for selling his place. That farm represents a huge investment, and a big food security blanket. He seems like he's just bored of Ecuador, and wants to move on to greener pastures in Panama. Go figure!? I can't imagine life is much different there. Some people will probably never content themselves with any single place ever.

Surfmatt

• FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2021, 02:16:00 PM »
Completely off topic sorry! but if your buddy or if anyone in the forum has a guayusa plant or cuttings they'd like to sell me I'd appreciate it. Can't really find it anywhere at the moment. Used to have a seller on amazon but no longer available. Wish I had the coin to buy that farm though. A real retreat but not everyone can be alone I guess. Beautiful place.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2021, 09:15:10 AM »
This thread brings up some good points. I definitely want to check out the movie suggestion.

Personally, I don't think Ecuador is the best place for the same reasons I wouldn't recommend Costa Rica or parts of Mexico. Too many foreigners. In my experience, many latin americans do their best to take advantage of gringos when faced with the opportunity. And gringos are too good at providing those opportunities. This seems to be worse in areas where there are more gringos. Where my friend lives though, I don't think there are hardly any foreigners, which sounds like part of what he doesn't enjoy about being there. It's not easy to find yourself in the middle of an entirely different culture with little to no outlet. As much as I never felt like a part of my native country, it is honestly hard to be in a foreign land. My friend has expressed his sentiment of feeling like he has a lack of community there.

That said, I think my friend is dumb for selling his place. That farm represents a huge investment, and a big food security blanket. He seems like he's just bored of Ecuador, and wants to move on to greener pastures in Panama. Go figure!? I can't imagine life is much different there. Some people will probably never content themselves with any single place ever.
Thanks for the much-needed reality check.  I'm glad to know I'm not crazy after all!
John

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2022, 02:59:52 PM »
Funny how people can go off to live in a tropical paradise, and it doesn't work out the way they thought it would.  I had a friend in L.A. who moved to Ecuador (Loja/E45) with big plans of self-sufficiency when we were in our 30's.  It turned out to be a real freakin' struggle for him and his wife, like WTF have we gotten ourselves into.  They were back in L.A. after a couple of years.  Another couple went off to live on their five-acre homestead in the Arkansas Ozarks.  The wife left him there after a year.  (Have you seen MINARI?)  He moved into town and got a job.  Even with beautiful dreams you can get crushed by the work involved, or bankrupted!

I did watch MINARI recently. If it weren't for the implausible event caused by the grandma, then the family would have dominated the market in their first year of operation. They did a great market analysis, and exploited the niche. Also, their first year wasn't a total loss, because there was a nice patch of Minari growing without any maintenance.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2022, 08:01:56 AM »
How can they dub it as a self-sufficient paradise and the trees aren’t even producing yet? Talk about misleading

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2022, 07:27:46 PM »
Ben Mango, the iamges shows some mature tree's. and for sure there looks like enough bananas and food palms for basic survival.

77 hectares, that's a lot of land. People often do better with less in my experiance, like no more then 5h. That's a lot, trust me!!
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2022, 09:48:34 PM »

lol
Brad Spaugh

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2022, 07:58:55 AM »
Enough bananas to not starve to death.  Seems legit

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk