Author Topic: Maha Mango...  (Read 1763 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Maha Mango...
« on: July 10, 2021, 09:21:06 AM »
Anyone's Maha mangoes ripe yet in Florida? All of mine are still green.

Most of my Glenns are gone, just a few left...a little bit more Cogshall left and of course my Keitt are still green( mine usually ripens in Aug/Sept).

I'm planning on picking the Mahas as soon as I see some light yellowing and finish ripening in the house to beat the critters from eating them all.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Maha Mango...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »
Yes, I have seen ripe Mahas in SFla weeks ago.  You are in a slightly different climate and maybe from a late bloom?
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 10:13:06 AM »
Truly Tropical is selling Keitt and Neelam already.  Is there no such thing as a late variety in South Florida these days?  Who has anything green left on their trees?
John

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 02:25:36 PM »

Thanks Rob and John! Yes, I might be one of the few left with green mangoes  ;)...I guess I'm about 2-3 weeks behind South FL. I'm okay with it, it prolongs my mango season especailly since my magoes have produced sooooo many mangoes this year, I don't even care that the critters are eating them, it's the first time I've had more than I can eat and give away Lol...bumper crop this year for sure!!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 04:34:10 PM »
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that I thoroughly enjoyed my Maha mangos when I had my tree at the old house.  Not a flavor bomb, but a very pleasant tasting and beautiful mango. 
John

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 04:57:29 PM »
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that I thoroughly enjoyed my Maha mangos when I had my tree at the old house.  Not a flavor bomb, but a very pleasant tasting and beautiful mango.

So typically I would agree with you on the Maha - I've had them several years & I always thought they were decent..never awesome.  However, I had one from a friend this year where the flavor was VERY complex.  It was an Asian flavor mango, but it was really excellent.  Difficult to describe the flavor - but I guess it was mango cola like.  Way better than CAC, M4 (early M4), Cotton Candy (early CC).  Not as good as E4, Super Alphonso, Fruit Cocktail - huge flavor bombs, Maha was slightly a notch below.  It was better than a Pineapple Pleasure I tried too...most likely the PP wasn't in its prime as I know there's a ton of hype on PP these days.  I guess it comes down to soil conditions and how the tree was cared for as my friend is very meticulous with his tree.  Point being, don't rule Maha out..it can hold its own!!

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 05:02:18 PM »
My mahas has been great. Consistent quality, some years they are as good as any. Bulletproof tree with reliable production. Mine has been gradually ripening for the past month, and there are still quite a few green ones left.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2021, 07:36:13 PM »

So typically I would agree with you on the Maha - I've had them several years & I always thought they were decent..never awesome.  However, I had one from a friend this year where the flavor was VERY complex.  It was an Asian flavor mango, but it was really excellent.  Difficult to describe the flavor - but I guess it was mango cola like.  Way better than CAC, M4 (early M4), Cotton Candy (early CC).  Not as good as E4, Super Alphonso, Fruit Cocktail - huge flavor bombs, Maha was slightly a notch below.  It was better than a Pineapple Pleasure I tried too...most likely the PP wasn't in its prime as I know there's a ton of hype on PP these days.  I guess it comes down to soil conditions and how the tree was cared for as my friend is very meticulous with his tree.  Point being, don't rule Maha out..it can hold its own!!

It had better!  At Tropic Plants Nursery in my 33321 I had to make a choice to buy either a PP or the Maja. Was three months ago. I went the Maja route. I can't wait until it has its exotic elongated fruits hanging and driving up my property values. I was Maja hooked when I was at Bender's Grove 6 years ago. On the right was an 18ft maja tree as loaded as can be.

I have another Bender/Maja story for later.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 07:41:21 PM by zands »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2021, 09:13:54 PM »

Well okay!!!  There's a reason it was so well loved 10 years ago, which made me plant a tree.  I think the first tree I planted I dug up and gave away because my spacing and location were wrong.  Then I planted another one and waited about three years for it to start bearing so I only had fruit the last year before I sold the house.
John

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 09:21:48 PM »
JohnB, my Second-bloom Keitts are very small and green still, a month or two a away for sure.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 09:48:00 PM »
JohnB, my Second-bloom Keitts are very small and green still, a month or two a away for sure.

Some places pick their fruit full green and way too early aka underripe.   What you wind up with is soft, wrinkly fruit and not properly ripened fruit.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 10:50:44 PM »
Truly Tropical is selling Keitt and Neelam already.  Is there no such thing as a late variety in South Florida these days?  Who has anything green left on their trees?

Photo taken July 10th
Last season we picked fruit off of this Valencia pride in the third week of September. We had a very long dormancy this winter.Second week of March was below 50 degrees.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 11:00:09 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 07:55:14 AM »
SWFL 10b Maha has been ripening on the trees last 3 weeks. This was my first crop good flavor and possibly the prettiest mango I have.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 10:29:04 AM »
Last year, my Maha tree didn't have any fruits at all...had very few blooms and those fell off for some reason. This year seems much better.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2021, 04:00:49 PM »
I picked a box of PPKs at a friend's house today.  There are still some green ones left on the tree.   They'll probably last another week or so.  All of the Keitts are very green, not close to ripe.  (Looks like I'm answering my own question!)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 04:10:02 PM by johnb51 »
John

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 09:37:01 AM »

Hi John, all my Keitts are several weeks from ripening also. I've never tasted PPK's...one day!

They are having a mango mania this weekend in Pine Island/Cape Coral area, I hope they have enough mangoes to sell  ;)
http://mangomaniafl.net/

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 08:42:16 PM »
My Keitts also have a some time to go.
My second flush Carrie is still green but should be ready to pick any day now. 
My Beverly is still green, Neelam and Gary's Juicy Lucy too.
Malika has some green but ready to pick and ripen - will be history this week or next.

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 03:49:54 PM »
Last year, my Maha tree didn't have any fruits at all...had very few blooms and those fell off for some reason. This year seems much better.

That's look like my Maha tree. However, the fruit on my tree was red/pink on one side even not ripe, the fruits on your Maha are very green. I wonder if there are different Maha versions existed.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 05:48:43 PM »

That's look like my Maha tree. However, the fruit on my tree was red/pink on one side even not ripe, the fruits on your Maha are very green. I wonder if there are different Maha versions existed.

There is only one Maha.  Location and sun exposure will be the determinant of the pink/reddish blush.  I have seen many Mahas grown in interior Palm Beach County have no blush whatsoever.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk