Author Topic: Mango disaster: why no ones mentioned this in advance?  (Read 1154 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Mango disaster: why no ones mentioned this in advance?
« on: July 12, 2021, 02:48:27 PM »
This morning went out and saw this – it ruined my day otherwise a beautiful high humidity in mid 80sF.
For a moment my blood was boiling thinking the rat or squirrel did this, but upon a closer look there was no biting marks on the green fruits nor the stem. The whole eight Okrung-Tong cluter just broke off from the 2nd node (not on the terminal tip) under their own weight. I should have used shoe string to support the stem and pull it to the bigger branch.

The lesson: on those unusual many fruit stem, make sure to use string to support the stem especially if it is not the terminal stem.

Those fruits need one more month to ripen properly. What is a good way to eat them now?

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango disaster: why no ones mentioned this in advance?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 04:44:51 PM »
O man im sorry to hear that i mean its a good problem to have just but not to break off.....iv made chutney (not sure if thats how you spell it) out of unripe mangos thats my fav, maybe a curry or salad iv herd of people pickling unripe mangos.
Bill

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 06:27:52 PM »
What a waste especially here, sorry for you loss.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 07:59:56 PM »
Your suggestion is one option, another is to thin the fruits so that each cluster holds fewer fruit and the branches are carying smaller load.  I believe there are stories here or perhaps linked to from the forum of some varieties like Neelam holding so much fruit that branches fail under the weight of the fruit.  Sweet Tart and Taralay for me have done the same thing in the past.

So sorry, that is such a shame

I have friends who make some type of dipping sauce with green mango, I hear some pickle it too.  Google or look on YouTube, I bet you will find recipes and directions.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 08:58:00 PM »
Your suggestion is one option, another is to thin the fruits so that each cluster holds fewer fruit and the branches are carying smaller load. 

I have two cocktail variety grafted trees -- rootstocks are HD Manila and top worked Glenn grafted from FL (don't like Glenn). Most of the Okrung fruits on the Manila had no seeds and dropped off, but the Okrung fruits on Glenn are holding. This is the reason why I didn't want to thin out the fruits as I didn't know which would drop due to no seed, but as seen in the pic, these Okrung are in good size and no way I would thin them at this size (but God did it last night). One factor is the Glenn rootstock is inches from the house while the Manila is far away from the protective wall during the cold nights.

Next year I will only let the Manila rootstock to hold fruits from flowers bloom after mid April, as it is hold only a few fruits (most of  LZ and Okrung Tong fruits had no seed and dropped off).

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 10:48:51 AM »
So, so sorry that happened to your mangoes!! I love pickled mango...there are a lot of recipes out there usually calls for vinegar, sugar, water and some red pepper flakes ( I like my pickled mango spicy!). I eat them like "pickles"! It's a great side dish to have with a sandwich or even with dinner. They stay crunchy... semi sweet, slightly sour tasting. Refrigerate the jar of pickled mangoes and it lasts a few weeks in the fridge. I really like eating them this way, especially when I have a lot of extra mangoes.

On a side note, I just made some delicious Mango muffins and mango bread with the ripe mangoes. You can also make ice cream topping with the ripe mangoes. I have soooo many ripe mangoes I'm running out of ideas and people to give them too...not a bad problem to have for a change  ;)

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 11:35:10 AM »
Wanna sell some i want some mango pickles haha
Bill

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 02:07:28 PM »

Wanna sell some i want some mango pickles haha

Lol...I'd give you some but it is super easy to make, really!! They are super yummy  ;D

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 02:27:39 PM »
I can only get store bought mangos here in ny iv been thinking of trying to grow one in my grow room but not sure how that would work.
Bill

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 03:26:53 PM »

Oh, sorry about that! I didn't even notice you are living in NY!! You could try growing a potted mango inside during the winter with grow lights but it is a challenge! Best of luck!!