Author Topic: Jakfruit looks sick  (Read 728 times)

FDFlorida

• Florida 10b
    • View Profile
Jakfruit looks sick
« on: July 18, 2021, 04:04:18 PM »

My young Jakfruit has been growing well, but the leafs are sta
Trying to brown and fall off. Does this like natural leaf replacement or is it a fungus or sunburn?  It was brown from seed and always in full sun, but this it’s first taste of summer sun as it was germinated last fall. 

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Jakfruit looks sick
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 05:10:56 PM »
Since it's young tree, my guess is it got leaf scorch. Maybe give it some afternoon shade.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 05:11:08 PM »
You are giving it very hard conditions growing over hot stones in an open field of grass with no opportunity to ever build soil resources in the root zone. They are pretty tough but the conditions are not ideal for a forest tree.

FDFlorida

• Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 06:41:29 PM »
Thanks, I was told they like full sun, so that’s what I went with, I guess not this much full sun. I’ll get it some shade until it’s more established.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 07:05:59 PM »
Thanks, I was told they like full sun, so that’s what I went with, I guess not this much full sun. I’ll get it some shade until it’s more established.

I dont think the full sun is the issue.  Get rid of the rocks and then ficus on nutrition.

I am assuming its getting watered from our recent rains.  Does that area hold water?  What have you done as far as feeding it?  Was any weed killer sprayed on the rocks?
- Rob

FDFlorida

• Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 07:35:58 PM »
It’s been watered by the rain mostly, but if it doesn’t rain for a few days and the soil seems dry I’ll give it a drink. I gave it some slow release fertilizer ( organic fruit tree mix) in the spring.

The rocks are used as a mulch (I can’t handle or breathe actual mulch) and they actually keep underneath quite cool and help retain moisture. 

I’m not discounting what your saying, I’ll remove them and see if it helps and I appreciate the replies.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 08:01:18 PM »
It’s been watered by the rain mostly, but if it doesn’t rain for a few days and the soil seems dry I’ll give it a drink. I gave it some slow release fertilizer ( organic fruit tree mix) in the spring.

The rocks are used as a mulch (I can’t handle or breathe actual mulch) and they actually keep underneath quite cool and help retain moisture. 

I’m not discounting what your saying, I’ll remove them and see if it helps and I appreciate the replies.

Rocks are typically not good "mylch" for fruit trees

I also winder if its getting too much water.  I know mist if Florida has been fairly wet in the last month plus.  I dont see the need for supplemental watering.   I also wonder if the organic fertilizer is giving it what it needs.  It may need to be hit with a decent fert with a good micro nutrient package (not sure what you have access to but when all else fails, a good palm fertilizer will usually work).
- Rob

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 12:09:10 AM »
not sun burn. I have some jackfruit trees that do this as well. Its nutrional deficiency of some sort, been trying to work it out myself.

i assumed it was my well water affecting the ph and locking out mineral absorbtion. ive corrected with sulphur and adding organic fertilizer and supplementing with micros. 
Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk