Author Topic: WTB Feijoa (pineapple guava)  (Read 1553 times)

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
WTB Feijoa (pineapple guava)
« on: November 03, 2021, 12:58:48 PM »
In search of established feijoa plants (pineapple guava). Doesn't need to be grafted but I would be interested in grafted varieties. I am not interested in baby seedlings can grow those myself. looking for 1-4 year old small tree. Must be able to ship to Arizona. Thanks in advance

Best regards,

Driftwood

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: WTB Feijoa (pineapple guava)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 01:09:43 PM »
One Green World nursery sells named cultivars.  They’re out of stock right now, but you can be added to their notifications when available in spring.

https://onegreenworld.com/product-category/fruiting-shrubs/pineapple-guava/

Janet

driftwood

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 06:17:29 PM »
One Green World nursery sells named cultivars.  They’re out of stock right now, but you can be added to their notifications when available in spring.

https://onegreenworld.com/product-category/fruiting-shrubs/pineapple-guava/

Janet

Thank you Janet! I appreciate it. I have been searching at local nurseries as well here in AZ. Im going to be in CA next week though, do you know any nurseries there that might carry it?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 06:21:03 PM by driftwood »

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 11:07:00 PM »
I second Janet's recommendation of OGW - especially for making several great larger fruited NZ selections available over the last few years - Kaiteri, Anatoki.

OGW does sell out their stock in pretty short order every year, but if you miss your chance Restoring Eden Nursery in the SeaTac area has been a good source for many of the same varieties.

You didn't specify where you're headed in CA, but most nurseries here in the Bay Area - if they stock anything other than Acca Sellowiana seedlings - usually sell Nazemetz and/or Coolidge Edenvale Improved.

If you end up going the seedling route and grafting, Fruitwood Nursery is a good source for scionwood. In fact, they're also former owners of what used to be known as Rolling River Nursery - the Oakland growing grounds now called Planting Justice. If you're up this way PJ is still one place that occasionally stocks more than just the two I mentioned.

driftwood

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 12:31:40 AM »
I second Janet's recommendation of OGW - especially for making several great larger fruited NZ selections available over the last few years - Kaiteri, Anatoki.

OGW does sell out their stock in pretty short order every year, but if you miss your chance Restoring Eden Nursery in the SeaTac area has been a good source for many of the same varieties.

You didn't specify where you're headed in CA, but most nurseries here in the Bay Area - if they stock anything other than Acca Sellowiana seedlings - usually sell Nazemetz and/or Coolidge Edenvale Improved.

If you end up going the seedling route and grafting, Fruitwood Nursery is a good source for scionwood. In fact, they're also former owners of what used to be known as Rolling River Nursery - the Oakland growing grounds now called Planting Justice. If you're up this way PJ is still one place that occasionally stocks more than just the two I mentioned.

ah yeah I forgot to mention I will be in SoCal. I plan to check the SD area nurseries and someone told me sometimes home depot has them down there. I appreciate the information however! I will be looking online if I dont find anything

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 12:36:37 AM »
I went to Lows today, I found this.

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 12:43:22 AM »
ah yeah I forgot to mention I will be in SoCal. I plan to check the SD area nurseries and someone told me sometimes home depot has them down there. I appreciate the information however! I will be looking online if I dont find anything

Very easy to find in Southern California. The HD and Lowes around here carry Coolidge and Nazemetz in 3 gals, 5' tall for $35. HD had a bunch of 1 gals on clearance for $4. I didn't need another feijoa, but who could resist that price? I found a nice one with a 1" trunk that I'm going to bonsai. The tropical fruit nurseries have them, but I don't know about varieties and they might be a little more pricey. I've only seen the usual varieties, so my eyes gloss over them since I'm well stocked 8) In case you struggle to find Nazemetz, I have a 1 gal from a cutting. 3ft from the ground 1/2" trunk that I could ship or you could pick up. I have a few other things available as well if you're in the area and interested

driftwood

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 12:20:11 PM »
I went to Lows today, I found this.

appreciate that, I heard recently they had them after I made this post!

Very easy to find in Southern California. The HD and Lowes around here carry Coolidge and Nazemetz in 3 gals, 5' tall for $35. HD had a bunch of 1 gals on clearance for $4. I didn't need another feijoa, but who could resist that price? I found a nice one with a 1" trunk that I'm going to bonsai. The tropical fruit nurseries have them, but I don't know about varieties and they might be a little more pricey. I've only seen the usual varieties, so my eyes gloss over them since I'm well stocked 8) In case you struggle to find Nazemetz, I have a 1 gal from a cutting. 3ft from the ground 1/2" trunk that I could ship or you could pick up. I have a few other things available as well if you're in the area and interested

Send me a message man! what part of socal? I am interested

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 01:08:22 PM »
Found a local bush growing along a roadside this year. Really liked the fruit.  Bought a few bushes at Just Fruits and Exotics. Hoping to have some in my own yard in the next season or two.
Trying to grow it all!

driftwood

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 05:15:25 PM »
Found a local bush growing along a roadside this year. Really liked the fruit.  Bought a few bushes at Just Fruits and Exotics. Hoping to have some in my own yard in the next season or two.

Same man!! I had some last year or two and really wanna grow it. Theyre super cold hardy as well

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 09:29:51 AM »
how much better are the grafted varieties than seedlings?  I have yet to try feijoa but I have been passing up seedlings left and right hoping for a cloned one.  Maybe I'm being too picky

Pedroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 12:07:10 PM »
This just in!

Last night One Green World sent me an email alert that their Feijoas are all back in stock - Anatoki, Apollo, Coolidge, Mammoth, Kaiteri, Kakariki, Nazemetz, Nikita, Robert, Takaka and Unique. If you happen to have people in the Portland area, Apollo and Mammoth are available as 5g and 15g - but they don't ship anything bigger than 1g. The Mammoth they sent me last year was good sized - probably 2ft. tall from the soil line.

Good luck!

driftwood

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 12:27:01 PM »
how much better are the grafted varieties than seedlings?  I have yet to try feijoa but I have been passing up seedlings left and right hoping for a cloned one.  Maybe I'm being too picky

There are improvements in flavor, yield, and jelly to flesh ratio

How big of a difference I am not sure exactly.

This just in!

Last night One Green World sent me an email alert that their Feijoas are all back in stock - Anatoki, Apollo, Coolidge, Mammoth, Kaiteri, Kakariki, Nazemetz, Nikita, Robert, Takaka and Unique. If you happen to have people in the Portland area, Apollo and Mammoth are available as 5g and 15g - but they don't ship anything bigger than 1g. The Mammoth they sent me last year was good sized - probably 2ft. tall from the soil line.

Good luck!

Ah thanks Pedro!
I just got some coolidge and Nazemetz from Home Depot but thanks for the info. What's everyone's favorite from the one green world selection?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 12:43:16 PM »
Nice, can somebody make some suggestions?  I am going to order one from OGW too. 

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2021, 01:08:16 PM »
Marta has several posts and reviews on feijoa, she’s mentioned Kaiteri as excellent.
https://fruitsandgardening.blogspot.com/2021/10/feijoa-tasting-on-october-10-2021.html

Janet

Pedroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2021, 06:52:46 PM »
Still awaiting my first crop of Kaiteri, but I think Apollo really has great pineapple -y flavoring - not as large as Kaiteri is reputed to be. Mammoth is excellent too - tangy sweet.  The Mammoth I've tried had a bit of grittiness to its texture but not objectionable.
Mark Albert's Supreme is another one of my favorites. With any luck, the CRFG / Redwood Empire scion exchange will be back in full swing this winter and I'll head up for that - if so, I'll keep everybody posted about what I find on offer there.

Grafted a bunch of Marta 10 last winter on my FrankenFeijoa and every one of my eight attempts took, but I suspect I'm still a year or two away from tasting any.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 07:02:37 PM by Pedroboy »

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 10:55:28 AM »
Pedroboy,

Look forward to hearing your tasting results.  I read that the breeder of some of the patented New Zealand varieties liked Anatoki the best.  I’m most excited to try Kaiteri and Anatoki.  I experimented with making pineapple guava kombucha this fall, whole family loved it.

Janet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk