Author Topic: Your preferred way to plant fresh Cherimoya seeds  (Read 1872 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Your preferred way to plant fresh Cherimoya seeds
« on: December 02, 2021, 01:55:29 PM »
I read a lot of different choices. Some people germinate in bags using different media, some say they allow the seeds to dry, then hydrate, stratify seeds etc. etc. etc.

What is what works for you on a consistent basis?

Your input is appreciated
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Your preferred way to plant fresh Cherimoya seeds
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 03:26:03 PM »
I've had good luck germinating them in tupperware containers with a single moist paper towel on the bottom, and I've also had good success just putting them in 3" seed start pots during the summer. I always scarify and soak my annona seeds before planting though.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 03:37:36 PM »
Carlos, i put them into small pots of well draining dirt and keep it wetted.  I use bagged cactus mix.  You want wet but not soggy.

You can soak them for 8hrs prior to planting also. 

They sprout really easy just be patient and wait about 2-3 weeks and they will sprout. 

I assume the weather is warm enough for them to germinate in Miami.  80f should be good.  Use a heat mat if its not warm enough. 

You can put 20 seeds in a 5 gal pot to sprout and then dump them out and seperate and repot if you want also.  The cherimoya sprouts are very tough and can be bare rooted without harming them. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 04:14:31 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 04:56:54 PM »
Carlos, i put them into small pots of well draining dirt and keep it wetted.  I use bagged cactus mix.  You want wet but not soggy.

They sprout really easy just be patient and wait about 2-3 weeks and they will sprout. 

I assume the weather is warm enough for them to germinate in Miami.  80f should be good.  Use a heat mat if its not warm enough. 

You can put 20 seeds in a 5 gal pot to sprout and then dump them out and seperate and repot if you want also.  The cherimoya sprouts are very tough and can be bare rooted without harming them.
We are running unusually cool nights in the 50's  day time comes up to low 80's you recommend
I put them in the sun, shade or inside?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 05:24:09 PM »
I usually do 50 cell seed tray with a humidity dome and leave them in the shade until they sprout.
Water them around ones a week or sometimes less (I just look at the top layer of soil)

In around 2 months most of the seeds sprout, move them into the partial sun and then remove the dome.
Fresh seeds seem to sprout a little faster.

I've started 1000s at this point...i've killed almost the same amount

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 05:51:06 PM »

We are running unusually cool nights in the 50's  day time comes up to low 80's you recommend
I put them in the sun, shade or inside?

inside at night.  they will probably still pop even at 50 at night but it will be faster indoors at night.  80 is pretty ideal

im going start some soon too and put them in starter pots on a heat mat in thebgarage to speed things up. 
Brad Spaugh

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 07:45:21 PM »
They lazy way??

On the edge of the compost pile, unturned part, i noticed some that sprouted along with avocado pits.

Planted them in some seed starter trays to grow more.

Some of them either didn't break loose from the shells or molded over, and decapitated themselves.

Seems like they are tough as weeds.  So many seeds per fruit!

Maybe I'll try a more standard way, like Brad and Khan,   now to compare.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 07:57:26 PM »
Pat, sometimes fruit fall off and animals eat it and a pile of seeds is left, or we toss one in the compost and bury the trash in a planter bed and whever the seed piles end up theres always a ton of sprouts some day.  Same with avocados, they end up sprouting all over the yard like weeds. 
Brad Spaugh

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 12:18:58 AM »
Soak seeds in water 2-3 days.
Put wet seeds in ziplock bag.
Rinse seeds when mold shows up.
Pot germinated seeds.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 01:19:22 PM »
I just put them inside whatever pot of soil around and water the pot periodically and that's it. I've also just thrown them in large pots that have big plants in them and then once the seedling has a leaf or two, excavate the long tap root and put them in their own pot.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 01:39:26 PM »
Do soursop seeds grow just as easily?
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 08:00:44 AM »
Do soursop seeds grow just as easily?

It soflo they are quite a bit easier, almost as vigorous

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 09:52:24 AM »
My standard PSA-

Sow in 100% vermiculite

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2021, 10:51:48 AM »
Has anyone that does the bag method with paper towel, moss etc. adds a fungicide to the water soaking the media to prevent fungus from growing?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 12:35:38 PM »
I added lime juice to paper towel, stuffed inside ziplock bag.
Seeds still  got moldy.

TheDisGardener

• USA, LA, Zone9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2021, 03:05:25 PM »
I have like 15 honeyhart seeds right now. I planted 2 in just 3in pots with potting mix, 2 in a wet paper towel, 2 in vermiculite, and the rest im going to let dry for a year like someone suggested then planting them. The ones in the potting soil sprouted after 2 weeks so far thats the fastest

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2021, 10:22:39 AM »
I wish I had your problems Brad :) ...

Kevin

Pat, sometimes fruit fall off and animals eat it and a pile of seeds is left, or we toss one in the compost and bury the trash in a planter bed and whever the seed piles end up theres always a ton of sprouts some day.  Same with avocados, they end up sprouting all over the yard like weeds.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2021, 12:32:38 PM »
I have always germinated them in small flower pots with basic plant soil with perlite. Fresh seeds sprout way faster and generally as a group, stored ones sprout very slow and u get ones that sprout 8+ months later, ive had poor germination from stored ones also. I sprout them at room temperature, around 20C.
They are generally very easy to sprout, last winter i sprouted around 100 seeds, most i tinned, the rest ( 60 or so) were stransplanted in small plastic cups and are now in my basement for the winter with the citrus.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 12:35:16 PM by Plantinyum »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2021, 08:22:17 PM »
Here’s my set up

For various annona seeds more specifically squamosa, reticulata, soursop, cherimoya, atemoya I’ve had excellent germination rates. Use the humidity domes 6x12 cells believe they are vivosun brand off Amazon. I use miracle grow humidity control soil for the germination process because it’s consistent and there is no overgrowth of pests/microbes in the humidity domes. Once germinated I transfer to pots of custom mix I make basically top soil, pine fines, some sand. Pics below: the domes and a wire shelving rack on my patio helps to stay organized, some na dai x Fernandez crosses I did starting to pop.

Hope this is helpful,

-Joe