Author Topic: Kucle  (Read 829 times)

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
Kucle
« on: January 27, 2022, 08:43:08 AM »
Can anyone tell me about the taste of a Kucle? How is it compared to pure Kumquats or to Indio or Nippon?

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Kucle
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 02:14:02 PM »
For me it is awful.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 02:39:19 AM »
It tastes sour with mandarine flavour. The peel tastes a bit sweet when fully ripe but also moderately bitter so it is not really tasty. I sometimes use it in baking for which it is quite good. Kucle fruits are juicy. I like to drink lemonade from it.
When I compare it to Calamondin I would clearly prefer Calamondin because it has a stronger and better mandarine flavour. When I compare it to kumquat I would prefer Kumquat because kumquat has better peel. In my view, it cannot be compared to Fukushu Kumquat because the latter is so much better than even all other kumquats.
Still Kucle is a very productive nicely looking tree and I really like the lemonade from it. In my view, the aroma of the pulp is quite good. But when you have limited space and are just searching for good fruits then better buy Calamondin or Fukushu kumquat.
An advantage of Kucle over kumquat would only be that Kucle has a lower heat requirement. My kumquats did not bloom every year and sometimes did not even grow (potted plants in zone 7 with cool summers), Kucle always did. It seems though to me that Calamondin has an even less heat requirement in its growth season.

I bought my Kucle basically for breeding new stuff. It is more or less pollen sterile at normal room temperature but produces only zygotic offspring that vary greatly in appearance and is at everage good growing. Kucle produces pollen at hotter temperatures, how fertile is difficult to tell. I have not grown Kucle seedlings to maturity but leaves can be kumquatlike, orangelike or narrow as in Willow leaf mandarine (the grandparent of Kucle). They can have more or less pronouced thorns or can be almost thornless. Kucle readily accepts Poncirus pollen and Rusk pollen, probably other pollen also. Selfing seems to be possible. (My pollination was not accurately controlled but appearance of some seedlings seems to indicate selfing, namely that of nearrow leaf types.)

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 11:42:34 PM »
So does not sound very promising. Thanks for the reply. May I add, how is it compared to Nippon and Indio?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk